Would you know beauty if it were right in front of you?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (54 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

"A man sat at a metro station in Washington DC and started to play the violin; it was a cold January morning. He played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During that time, since it was rush hour, it was calculated that 1,100 people went through the station, most of them on their way to work.

Three minutes went by, and a middle aged man noticed there was musician playing. He slowed his pace, and stopped for a few seconds, and then hurried up to meet his schedule.

A minute later, the violinist received his first dollar tip: a woman threw the money in the till and without stopping, and continued to walk.

A few minutes later, someone leaned against the wall to listen to him, but the man looked at his watch and started to walk again. Clearly he was late for work.

The one who paid the most attention was a 3 year old boy. His mother tagged him along, hurried, but the kid stopped to look at the violinist. Finally, the mother pushed hard, and the child continued to walk, turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. All the parents, without exception, forced them to move on.

In the 45 minutes the musician played, only 6 people stopped and stayed for a while. About 20 gave him money, but continued to walk their normal pace. He collected $32. When he finished playing and silence took over, no one noticed it. No one applauded, nor was there any recognition.

No one knew this, but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the most talented musicians in the world. He had just played one of the most intricate pieces ever written, on a violin worth $3.5 million dollars.

Two days before his playing in the subway, Joshua Bell sold out at a theater in Boston where the seats averaged $100.

This is a real story. Joshua Bell playing incognito in the metro station was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste, and priorities of people. The outlines were: in a commonplace environment at an inappropriate hour: Do we perceive beauty? Do we stop to appreciate it? Do we recognize the talent in an unexpected context?

One of the possible conclusions from this experience could be:

If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world playing the best music ever written, how many other things are we missing?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnOPu0_YWhw

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8699858_f248.jpg

(http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/bell.asp)

1. Minnetonka Twin profile image88
      Minnetonka Twinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am speechless-what a interesting story with a very important message.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Indeed. smile

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Even more fascinating was that the same experiment was done 77 years earlier (the Snopes article) by a child prodigy named Jacques Gordon.  Bell knew nothing of that earlier action so long before his own performance although he DID know of Gordon.

But both artists played two of the same pieces, both artists were recognized by exactly one spectator and amazingly both artists had once played the same violin.  From 1991 through 2001 Bell played the same instrument that Gordon had played in the street performance in 1930.  For 11 years, Bell's fingers held the same ancient wood.

3. EncephaloiDead profile image55
      EncephaloiDeadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

A more likely conclusion would be that many of those people passing by would most likely have loved to stop and listen, but couldn't because they had to be somewhere more important to their lives at that time, like making sure they were not late for work. This story really doesn't say much about missing anything, but more along the lines of a poor choice of timing and location.

Had the location and timing been different in which people had the opportunity to stop and listen, they probably would have.

1. David Carl profile image61
        David Carlposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Like in the middle of Super Bowl halftime instead of what was actually offered up this evening as entertainment!

2. amiebutchko profile image71
    amiebutchkoposted 10 years ago

Wow. That is so very sad, yet not surprising.  We must be missing so much!  I

3. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

A part of you wonders if there really is a time and a place for everything, but then another part of you wonders how tight fisted our worlds have become if we don't allow small rays of light inside when they're offered free of charge.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

I don't care if the best musician in the world in in the Metro.  If I have to catch that train to get to work, to get paid, to pay the bills... I am not stopping.  Commuting spaces are were I travel, not where I listen to music.

1. profile image0

Obviously, you are among the norm.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't see anything wrong with it.  Is the assumption that listening to beautiful music should always be a trump experience everyone drops their job, mission and baby for?   I don't see why.  It is not in short supply. Nor is it even important to everyone.  Beauty comes in many forms and not everyone cares for this variety.

5. Zeeshan Amin profile image60
    Zeeshan Aminposted 10 years ago

In the rush of accomplising our mundane tasks, we seldom recognize the beauty around us. Sad but a norm.

6. BigBlue54 profile image61
    BigBlue54posted 10 years ago

I have seen this because my daughter posted it on her FaceBook page.

It's sad when peoples lives wont allow us to stop and appreciate something like this.

1. profile image0

It is a shame.

7. David Carl profile image61
    David Carlposted 10 years ago

I am sure this happens to me every day, right on my own home, right in my own backyard, everywhere and anywhere I am. There is so much beauty in the world. We may as well be blind. Blinded by me and I, and mine, and mine and mine and mine.......

1. profile image0

That's a good point. How much beauty goes on in our own homes that we miss?

8. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 10 years ago

If they're good, I do pause to appreciate it and give them a little something.  Unfortunately, the calibre of street musician where I live is not very good, so I don't often have the opportunity. 

There used to be bag lady around where I live who just played the same note on a recorder.  She's not around any more though. Maybe a talent scout discovered her and she's living the sweet life of a pop star a la Justin Bieber.

1. BigBlue54 profile image61
      BigBlue54posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Poor thing is probably sat in a police cell high on drugs with a smashed up sports car.

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

She also accompanied her music with a bizarre dance and crazy eyes. Quite a performance.

9. David Carl profile image61

They used to talk about her in the pen: Ole Money Baggs C Note

I'll not ask how you know her in the pen. big_smile

2. profile image0

ha ha!

10. David Carl profile image61

So...this discussion was about how we often miss out on the beauty in our lives, every day, because we walk through the train stations of life  and miss hearing violins playing something like Bach and seeing little ole ladies placing dollar bills into instrument cases because we are too busy going to work.

In this case, the little ole lady was Money Baggs C Note and it was Penn Station not Grand Central.

David Carl has nothing to hide.

1. profile image0

It would make a good hub.

11. David Carl profile image61

What might be some  names for such a hub as this?

1. profile image0

The First Chair Diva of Penn Station.

12. David Carl profile image61

I will read it, if you create it. It;s a great story and I'm sure Ole Lady Baggs would sing a note or two when it comes out as well.

1. profile image0

Are we still talking about calculus geometry's story? I thought that woman disappeared.

1. profile image0

What've you got against one-note bag lady? Surely you of all people can tolerate a little thread derailment now and then.  Stop and appreciate the beauty of it, right before your eyes.

1. profile image0

Why did you think I had a problem with it? I said it would make a good hub, I just didn't feel like I was following what David was saying.

1. profile image0

It's so hard to convey nuance through text, isn't it?

I guess I'll go back to organizing my quilt patterns and archiving old lesson plans. Then I'll compose a new ring tone for my phone to commemorate Ms. Baggz before she got famous.

1. profile image0

I will refrain from hilarious comment in fear of retribution. lol

1. profile image0

Please post hilarious comment.  What I'm doing is so boring right now.  And husband is doing something super-serious and can't be bothered to amuse me.

1. profile image0

I was faking it, I don't have anything.

1. profile image0

Dang, back to work for me.

13. David Carl profile image61

You are talking about the Mrs Baggs...I'm sorry...that would take some work wouldn't it...she probably had quite a tale to tell....and where did she go once she crashed her car?
    Life can be confusing.... no wonder she ended up on drugs...

1. profile image0

It's like I walked into a forum thread and had no idea what anyone was talking about... so much like that.

14. David Carl profile image61

I'm sorry, I guess I haven't really been much help here. The thread kind of got split and I blew on it and it kind of drifted off into dreamland.

1. profile image0

Don't worry about it. If it was meant to find it's way back, it will. smile

15. David Carl profile image61

I think it has been one of the most entertaining threads I have answered. Thank you very much!

1. profile image0

If we're gonna go off topic, let's do it right... Here's a Whole Foods recipe link. mmmm

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes

16. David Carl profile image61

Lol.

17. BigBlue54 profile image61
    BigBlue54posted 10 years ago

There are times when we should stop our pursuit of happiness and just be happy.

1. profile image0

That's a really good quote, did you come up with it or are you quoting someone? Just curious.

Not sure. I think it's mine but I do like reading quotes so whether I have read it or it is something I have distilled from another quote or all my own work I could not say. Just seemed apt.

1. profile image0

Well Im going to quote you on FB 'cause it's a really good one.

Be my guest. smile

18. David Carl profile image61

It shut me up.

19. Remigijus profile image61
    Remigijusposted 10 years ago

What could one expect from the squirrels running up the treadmill? They just have to run faster in order to stay in the same place. All their life is spent chasing a mirage, just like greyhounds chase a fake hare on the track. Missing all the beauty on their way, they found an ugly gaping grave hole.smile

20. David Carl profile image61

I think that there is something to be said for finding our niche in life and filling it to the best of our ability. Squirrels and greyhounds  have their niche to fill and so do we. Running may be part of it for everyone. I am thankful for the years that I could run. I am thankful for those experiences and the thoughts that I had during those times. I can't do that anymore, so  have had to find other niches to fill instead.

21. Remigijus profile image61
    Remigijusposted 10 years ago

In many cases finding a purpose ends up in accepting being pigeonholed in a particular situation because everyone does that. There is no alternative until it's tried. No pain no gain:)

22. David Carl profile image61

What you are striving for makes a difference. Striving for the sake of striving, even if you become the best at something, may just take you down a path that is away from your purpose. A bigger job may fill your ego but may not be what is the plan for your life. Maybe we need to strive to be OK as we are, with less, so that less really is more, especially where beauty is concerned.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)