Are the Bears in trouble?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (23 posts)
  1. I am DB Cooper profile image63
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

I just took a look at the Bears schedule this season and I was surprised at how weak it was, especially since some experts have stated otherwise. Two close wins over Detroit, a close win over the Bills, along with wins over the Dolphins and Panthers fail to impress me. Their wins over quality teams include the Eagles, Jets, and Packers. All of those games were close. Not only have most of their games been close, but they haven't had a single win by more than a touchdown over an opponent with a .500 or better record.

The Bears got a first round bye thanks to the Eagles loss last night, but I think they might be in trouble when they host a game in the second round.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

and they will be just be relaxing their game against Packers (whom they beat once) this Sunday, bad for NYG. Four Bears were named to the Pro Bowl however.

2. bogerk profile image71
      bogerkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As a Green Bay Packers fan, I have been very frustrated with the Chicago Bears season.

They should have lost the first game of the year but that Calvin Johnson TD reception was ruled incomplete, which everyone knows it wasn't.

They only beat the Packers by 3 points despite the Packers having 20 penalties and dropping 3 Jay Cutler interceptions.

The Bears have a good defense and great special teams, but were the Packers completely healthy they would be the best team in the NFC this season or right there with the Falcons.

I think it would be in the Bears best interest to do their best against GB this weekend because I don't think the Packers are a team anyone is going to want to face in the playoffs. They have looked excellent for about 8 weeks now other than a loss to the Lions where Rodgers didn't play the second half.

3. jaycase profile image57
      jaycaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes! Because the Detroit Lions should have won both games this year and I know the players are thinking about winning the division. Go Lions!

2. AskAshlie3433 profile image60
    AskAshlie3433posted 13 years ago

I think Chicago is fine. The Bears have always relied on a good defense. They have this now. They have the best offense this year, of any Bear team this decade. Jay Cutler is a good QB and he will get better. They have a chance. They played the Jets in a playoff atmoshere, fell behind, came back and won. They have a legit shot. But if they want to make it, they have to play top notch, no mistakes.

3. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

it all depends on how cutler plays. Hopeing the bears and the redskins win this weekend!!!! go bucs smile

4. rotl profile image60
    rotlposted 13 years ago

I agree with you, the Bears are not very good, not nearly as good as their record indicates. We'll see which Jay Cutler shows up, but being that it's 50/50 with him, Chicago should be worried. But then there aren't a lot of world beaters in the NFC either (.500 team making playoffs!), so maybe they'll win one home game with the cold weather and home field advantage.

I am DB Cooperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's a good point. The Saints and Falcons are the two most dominating teams in the NFC, and frankly I would not be shocked to see either one of them lose in the playoffs, even playing the winner of the dreadful NFC West. It seems like every NFC matchup is just a coin flip, with few teams being considerably better than the others.

1. rotl profile image60
        rotlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Exactly! The Falcons are supposed to be the best team in the NFC, and I can't say that watching them I got the feeling that they could beat any team in the NFC. I also would not be surprised to see them lose to the Seahawks/Rams.

2. bogerk profile image71

I don't think the Bears can beat New Orleans in the second round, which is who they will likely face.

New Orleans defense is good enough to stop the Bears offense and New Orleans passing attack can light up the Bears secondary. I think the Bears will be losing in their first game and are lucky that the Vikings imploded this season and that 10+ major players for the Packers have been on the IR this season, otherwise 2010 would have been a much different story.

5. Wayne Orvisburg profile image62
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 13 years ago

In my opinion, the Bears don't have a fighting chance. The fact the even won the NFC North is rediculous. Of course, being a Packers fan I have to say stuff like that. LOL

I am hoping the Packers make the wild cards and would LOVE to see them play the Saints at Lambeau, however I don't think that will/could happen.

1. bogerk profile image71

That can't happen. If the Packers get in the playoffs it will be as the 6th Seed which means Away games for their entire playoff run.

I also am a Green Bay Packers fan, so take this with a grain of salt, but I really think they could make a New York Giant 2007 type run going into the playoffs. They have beat the Eagles and lost to the Bears by only 3 points and the Falcons by only 3 points, both road games.

1. Wayne Orvisburg profile image62
        Wayne Orvisburgposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I didn't think they'd get a home game. I'd love to see the Saints at Lambeau one day though.

I agree with you though. I think we've got a shot.

6. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 13 years ago

I posted this in another thread but I thought I'd post it again for all you Bears haters smile

Bears, Falcons, Steelers, and Patriots all have first round byes.

Wild Card scenario/predictions:

AFC Jets win over KC and Baltimore wins over Indi

NFC Giants win over Eagles and Saints win over Rams

Second Round predictions:

NFC Bears beat Giants and Falcons beat Saints

AFC Baltimore upsets Patriots and Steelers beat Jets

NFC Championship

Bears beat Falcons  in an upset smile
    AFC Championship

Baltimore beats Steelers

Super Bowl

Not the way I want it but Baltimore wins over Bears!

These are my predictions and I'm sticking to them smile

I am DB Cooperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just having the Giants make the playoffs is a pretty bold prediction, since they need a win this week and a Packers loss. I don't like the Jets going on the road and beating Kansas City for a couple reasons. First, Kansas City fans are notoriously loud and it's a brutal environment for visiting teams (the Chiefs record is 7-0 at home this year). Second, Mark Sanchez gets much worse as the weather gets worse. In games where it snows, rains, or is cold (I can't remember the exact definition of that, but I think it was temperature under 40 degrees at kickoff), Sanchez has 5 touchdown passes versus 18 interceptions.

1. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image72
        EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sanchez did pretty good in Pittsburgh and Chicago the last two weeks, both of which were well below 41 degrees. He also had one of the best games of his career in Cincinnati during the wildcard game, when the temperature was down to single digits.

I think those stats have more to do with him not having played well late in the regular season both of his years in the NFL than they have to do with the temperature.

7. Rochelle Frank profile image92
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

I'm not a bear hater-- I enjoy seeing them, but we had a bear, last week who almost got in trouble.
    It was trying to break into our duck cage at 3 am, but I think the motion sensor lights and our dog barking scared it off.

1. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol well I hope the big lights don't scare off my Bears team.

8. jobister profile image60
    jobisterposted 13 years ago

Overrated is what they are. Cutler is bound to make mistakes when he has to play the Saints or the Eagles come 2nd round of the playoffs.

9. AskAshlie3433 profile image60

Thats what everybody said about the Bears too, then they went to the SuperBowl with Grossman! Defense wins game. Look at the Bucs, Steelers, Ravens. New England is in the AFC. Cincy should of beat N.O. Anytime you have a division match, either team could win. They know each other the best. Thats why Atlanta and New Orleans was always close this year. Chicago has a legit chance, just as much as anyone in the NFC. Their wins haven't been pretty but they won them. Hester can change a game in an instant. You have a play maker and a stout defense there. All they need is a couple of points from the Off.

10. AskAshlie3433 profile image60

They have won 7 of their last 8 games. You have to play good football at this time of the year. They have beat good teams too. They beat Phily, Jets, and Dolphins. They beat Minnesota twice. Detroit and Minnesota are decent. They beat Phily when the Eagles were rolling. In short, they have a team capable of playing anyone in the NFC. Do they match up with the AFC? Probably not. Brady rolled them. Do I like the Bears? I like Cincinnatti. i am just stating what I see. They will beat Green Bay this weekend.Then, they will be 12-4.

11. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image72
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 13 years ago

There's always the chance that Cutler is going to forget what color his team's jerseys are, but the Bears defense is playing better this season which will help minimize the impact of his mistakes. Also the O-line has played much better over the last half of the season after they shuffled some players in and out. That will help keep the pressure off Cutler and give him less opportunities to panic and make stupid throws.

They're not in anymore trouble than about six other teams in the playoffs are.

12. AskAshlie3433 profile image60

I agree.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)