How much to charge for an advert on a hub

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Anath profile image62
    Anathposted 13 years ago

Hi, I received a proposal from someone who wants to advertise his company in some of my hubs (as a text link).

How much would should I charge him for that?  Any ideas will be welcome.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

Fellow Hubber TerryGl has written a hub about this issue.

1. Anath profile image62
      Anathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, I'll check that right now

3. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
    mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years ago

I did it on one of my Hubs for a company that approached me, and they offered me $100, which I accepted (having first checked out their website as offering a quality product).

1. profile image0
      ssaulposted 13 years agoin reply to this

so companies just randomly come across your hub and made the offer, wow! amazing!

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
        mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh Yes, I also have had two very large boxes of sweets come to me from two different 'Retro Sweets' suppliers in return for including their site links on my hub. I am still eating my way through one of the boxes of sweets now, aniseed balls, flying saucers, mint humbugs, black jacks and fruit salads, aniseed twists etc etc. Bad for my teeth, but delicious. wink

1. Rosie2010 profile image68
          Rosie2010posted 13 years agoin reply to this

that is so cool! and sweet.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
            mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL, I must admit they were a nice reward for a good deed smile

2. Pcunix profile image92
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, they do. Quite frequently, in fact. However, a depressingly high percentage want links to things you (or I, anyway) wouldn't want to be associated with.

1. profile image0
          china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So this is a 'permitted' activity?   It seems a good way of marketting for me and would appear to be of benfit to anyone doing it for me. And nobody could object to what I am selling smile

1. Pcunix profile image92
            Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know that HubPages permits it or not.  I've never had an offer I was willing to take.

2. ThomasE profile image68
            ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, as far as I know it is, yes. You are allowed up to 2 commercial links to one domain per hub, but you are not supposed to link too often to the same domain across multiple hubs.

It is tolerated, but I am a little wary of it. If I do a product hub, I always want to link to something that I know is good, which will offer people actual value.

It's rather like amazon text links. I do them occasionally, on my really important hubs, because I hate the amazon capsule. It is far too intrusive, it feels like I am basically forcing people to click when I use it, but when I use text links I always feel like I am doing hubpages out of its fair share.

I simply much prefer text links, and i would love to have an option to share my clicks on amazon text links with hubpages.

3. profile image0
            Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hubs must be informative to avoid falling into the "overly promotional" category. Links must be relevant to the contents. The site being linked to must be reputable.

If the product is of little interest to most people, so marginal that only a select few would want to buy it, that could be an issue.

Another issue is with the affiliate program itself: How to make it contractually and legally sound.

1. profile image0
              Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was answering China Man in the abstract, based on the general criteria. Of course, his site would be reputable. Links would of course be relevant, but there may be some work involved in making an article informative - like writing about the market conditions or technology, and then zooming in on the specific product, for example.

1. profile image0

Thanks for the info - the product would seem to be made for this kind of approach (which is why I am interested in it) I have a series of hubs planned for all the niches it can be promoted and they range from philosophy to photography to Tai Chi  big_smile  The more hubs in those niches (and any I haven't thought of yet) the more likely they are to be visible to the right people.  In the main arena they would go unnoticed I suspect. The product is common enough but this one has an interesting twist, and its the twist that needs exposing.

2. Anath profile image62
      Anathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the clear reply mistyhorizon

4. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

Interesting question - I have a website outing soonish, should have already been out htere but you know webpeople !, I will have a product that sells for a couple thousand dollars and have allowed margin for affiliate sales (the product originates from me). I haven't yet done all my affiliate homework beyond what I needed to do to calculate the margin I needed to add to accomodate it. Is it allowed to offer this on hub ? I was thinking I could do a straightforward 'pay on actual sale' to the link it comes through.that results from someone coming through.  This would mean that people could write hubs especially on the subject, still do the adsence etc, but with the link through as the prize as it were.  5% of $2000 is $100, that can take months to get to on adsence.

1. ThomasE profile image68
      ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Before offering it on the forum, I would contact the hubpages team.

I've never been the other side of the affiliate agreement, but I would be very wary, and seek advice from people who had done it before. Because, there are a lot of conmen and sharks about.

There are probably a lot of ways to game the system, and so you need to be a real expert at the technology side, OR, belong to a existing affiliate network such as clickbank.

If you get the wrong associate, I imagine they could use black hat techniques to promote your offer, and the egg may hit your face even though it was not your fault.

I would be wary.

1. profile image0

Of course I would ensure it was ok - but the product is unlikely to sell in big numbers but each 'sale' is high value and as it is only one step away from the provider (me) the % can be very significant, worth a gang of people writing relevant hubs with all the normal HP stuff, adsense etc just with one link pointing to my site.  Clickbank etc does not cater for this kind of product of a few high value sales, it is geared to multiple sales of multiple things - it appears to me.

I understand that people pay for others to write hubs, this is no different except it would only pay on results ?

The main attraction is the minimum $100 bounty, and the product is normally mulitiple sales if you get one, more often two and 5 or 6 would not be unusual.

Anyway I have to get the damn thing out of the developers hands and onto the server yet sad and then set up the affiliate stuff and then I might come back and make an offer if it is allowed.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)