Revised hub

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

I revised this hub yesterday; I added about 100 words to it. Would you consider it too personal? To me it is of some interest to those who might come across it. It is the story of a relative I never knew of who died during World War II.

I know the URL is bad, I changed the title of the hub. And I was still relatively new here when I made that mistake smile

http://hubpages.com/hub/It-is-surprising-what

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it is personal at all. It describes an historical event and humanizes it by adding a detail about a young man who was also a distant relative.  In fact, I wanted to know more about the young man (as a reader). People like real life stories with a personal touch to them.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wish I knew more about him too.

Thanks, Izzy.

2. recommend1 profile image61
      recommend1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would have thought this is exactly how a hub should be written - it is informative and factual and probably unique in many ways.  Personal cannot mean telling a personal acount of a historic event, or highlighting a way of life etc - the personal they must mean is the gut spilling emotional word-vomit of how some low life left the psychotic writer and ruined their already ruined life.

2. leahlefler profile image95
    leahleflerposted 13 years ago

It looks great to me (but I'm a newbie, so take it for what it's worth). I wish there were a clearer definition of "too personal," because your article on WW II is wonderful.

Your article is informative, relevant, and touching - if I was researching WWII articles, I would hope to come across it in my searches.

I think the "too personal" qualification should be used for hubs which are meaningless (and useless) to anyone other than the author.

3. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

UW, all I can offer is purely opinion here.  Your hub seems marginal in being too personal, and yet it was of interest (at least to me).

Young men and women die in war and you have brought this sad fact to light once more.  Like Izzy, I would have liked to know more.

Although your last paragraph emphasized the tragedy, I might suggest that the tone of the entire hub be changed to more of the same; the tragic loss of life and humanity in war, with Chesley only one example.

I'm sorry I cannot be more concrete in my suggestion.  The hub is too personal and yet at the same time has a good deal to offer.  I would not flag it and did vote it up.

1. recommend1 profile image61

How can this be considered personal in any way - it is a well written historical account with real people in it.  If you and others really consider that this type of hub is 'personal' IN ANY WAY I suggest we need some Hubstaff to make the definition  more clear.

1. Haunty profile image73
        Hauntyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

With all due respect, the hubstaff is great, but I don't think it's up to them to define 'personal.' But I do agree that it should be made clear 'too personal' on HubPages means the hub has no real informational or artistic value to the reader.

I have to disagree with you here - they have made 'personal' a fault, so they should have also defined what it means.  If Wilderness sees UW's excellent and informative hub as personal and is hub hopping and flagging with that idea then there is an issue in my opinion.

I met Princess Anne and had an interesting conversation with her where she made some startling (for me) observations about the USA.  Are you telling me that if I wrote this up as an anecdotal story about "I this" and "I said that" to showcase the comments it would be marked as personal by a hub hopping vigilante ?

1. wilderness profile image93
            wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You apparently did not read my post very well.  I clearly stated that I would NOT flag the hub, that I found it of value to me, and that I voted it up.  I also left a comment on it.  None of those would have happened had it been too personal and in violation.

My intent was somehow to convey that it could be too personal to some readers but that I did not agree.  Apparently I failed at that.

You said =

"I'm sorry I cannot be more concrete in my suggestion.  The hub is too personal and yet at the same time has a good deal to offer.  I would not flag it and did vote it up"

And the hub is definately NOT too personal in any way whatever.

2. Haunty profile image73
            Hauntyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are right, I have just looked through the FAQ and I could see no real explanation of what is considered too personal in HubPages terms. The problem is people have different levels of sensitivity towards privacy - what one thinks is too personal, another might think is ok.

A lot of people hop without having really seen a too personal hub in their life. Once you have seen one such hub, the distinction between it and UW's hub will be very clear. Fortunately, a flag in itself doesn't hurt a hub and admin in fact often emphasizes it's better to err on the side of flagging.

4. Haunty profile image73
    Hauntyposted 13 years ago

I usually flag a hub that starts with an 'I,' as it's likely to be too personal. If it starts with a double 'I', it's definitely too personal. wink

5. lyndre profile image61
    lyndreposted 13 years ago

I agree with the panda.smile
    I have a few hubs where I have used my own personal account as part of the information I am trying to get across.
    By adding your family involvment it made (in my humble opinion) the hub more interesting than just historical facts.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)