Help A company took my hub

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (59 posts)
  1. Charlu profile image79
    Charluposted 12 years ago

I googled (as always) a hub I just wrote and it popped up #1 and #3 when I looked to try and understand why it would be there twice, one of the links is to a company (I think with a paid ad) I clicked on it and it is my exact hub on their website just moved around.

I don't know if I should be pissed or take it as a compliment.  If someone could please explain I would greatly appreciate it,

I mean if I get credits for their views I'm game but otherwise how can they do that??????
    Help please

1. Mutiny92 profile image65
      Mutiny92posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would email the company and ask them to take it down or pay you for being a contributor to their website. They would have had to hire a freelancer or have an employee write it otherwise.

If that did not work, you may file a DMCA complaint.

(And be honored that they liked your writing so much they wanted it for their own!)

2. KiaKitori profile image66
    KiaKitoriposted 12 years ago

Charlu
    I think that if is not a link that atributes the work to you then is not good and
    you need to fill up a DMCA
    i believe this is the link: https://www.google.com/adsense/support/ … wer=146178
    But wait for other's response too.
    BTW which one was #1, yours or the duplicate?

3. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I believe this the copy http://www.flixya.com/blog/2931761/-Bab … Be-Without

and this is the hub?
    http://hubpages.com/hub/babymobiles

Can anyone see whose wrote the one on flixya? I'm struggling to find my way around.

1. KiaKitori profile image66
      KiaKitoriposted 12 years agoin reply to this

the blog article has a publishing date as 4/30
      also I noticed some broken links.

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've figured some things out. That blog post says it is written by Aficionado who is a well respected hubber here.
        I cannot see her stealing things off HP, especially with leaving broken links in.
        So it could mean someone has stolen HER identity.
        Or it could be that Aficionado is an alter image of Charlu, and it may not even be this hub Charlu posted about in the OP, seeing she mentioned something about adverts.

I did a search on HP for aficionado and did not come up with anything significant (some hubbers without hubs) unless I misspeled the name.

1. IzzyM profile image87

I think I misspelled the name, but I can't remember the correct spelling.
            Anyway this person over on Flixya has put up all copied content so if Flixya aren't concerned about duplicate content that is their problem.

Charlu, find a 'contact us' button over on Flixya and fire an email off to admin, including the publishing date and url of your hub and the url of the copied article.

Ask them to remove it. If they don't, you can file a DMCA.

I agree that this my the right path to fallow so far.

2. Charlu profile image79
          Charluposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So what should I do??????  I really don't understand how my hub could end up on her blog unless maybe she meant to link it to my hub. 

I don't know  ?????

1. Susana S profile image92
            Susana Sposted 12 years agoin reply to this

At the bottom of the copy on flixya is a report a violation button which has another link to report a DMCA notification. That leads here: http://www.flixya.com/dmca

Here's a sample DMCA notice that you can use as a template. http://www.futurequest.net/Services/TOS … Notice.php

Do it in an email and send it here: dmca@flixya.com

I notice that the DMCA template doesn't include a publication date, I would definitely include that.

P.S. there is a user on hubpages called aficionada rather than aficionado and I doubt very much that it is the same person.

1. IzzyM profile image87

My bad. Sorry aficionada, its definitely not you, but the name did ring a bell!

4. Charlu profile image79

Thank you guys for helping I just wrote it last night late and was really surprised when it was not only up and ranked, but twice.

Their post is #1 otherwise it wouldn't be as bad.

Thanks again if I had a little more techno knowledge I would probably be better at figuring this out. (something for the to do list)

Thanks again for all of you helping me I appreciate it.  So is the overall advice to email them first and then file a complaint if nothing is done?

You guys are the best I wouldn't get this help at other places smile

Charlu, read this forum topic. You may want to report it to hubpages staff too.

5. TerryGl profile image57
    TerryGlposted 12 years ago

Charlu, the problem here is the last time someone tried to help and sort this out was banned from the forums.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/72673

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/72272

You might find limited advice here for fear if anyone answered you they will also be banned. It seems to be a delicate subject amongst senior, although diminishing in numbers as they are going elsewhere, hubbers.

No one from management is interested. My advice is to move on. Nothing you can do about it really that won't cause you more stress or do your head in. We have all suffered the same fate unfortunately.

1. IzzyM profile image87

No one from management here will do anything about, but there is a probability Flixya management will take the article down.

But Charlu needs to contact them first.

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I agree with Susana. It appears that blogger steals other content as I checked some of the other articles. I would send the email to the site as she suggested.

I never assume that a hubber is respectful just because they're on HP. It's the internet, content thieves are everywhere.

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I doubt they are on HP at all - the spelling of the author is different in the last letter of the name.  As Izzy says, I doubt that Aficionada would steal a hub, and this is pretty bold.

More likely the slimeball is using a form of a hubbers name just enough different to squeak by while stealing someone else's work.

As Susana says, use the "report a violation" at the bottom of the stolen content to report it.

7. BobbiRant profile image61
    BobbiRantposted 12 years ago

I'm not sure I care to write here anymore if our articles are not safe and if HP staff has no interest in helping its writers.  I have not seen this problem when writing elsewhere.  I might write on my other sites until HP team takes an interest in their writers.  A bit disheartening to say the least.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wasn't implying that in my message. I hope I didn't give off that impression. HP goes to the trouble of finding copied content, leaving the URL, and DMCA info. Of course they can't find all of it.
      It's still up to the writer to be responsible for their articles wherever they choose to publish.

2. IzzyM profile image87

It's not up to HP to protect our work, though they do put a copyright notice at the bottom of every hub.

I have had several articles stolen, usually by 'content farm' type of websites, and each time they have been removed by a simple email to admin.

Only once or twice have I had to resort to sending DMCA notices, and if it's to a website that has ignored my emails, I send it directly to their host.

As Rebekah says, HP do help us find some of our stolen work and inform us when they find any.

1. recommend1 profile image60
        recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Of course it is up to HP to help protect our work !  Every service has a duty of care.  But then if they can blatantly change their TOS 180 degrees and dump your hub offline for breaking the NEW rules without legal challenge then I guess they can get away with anything.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
          Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not one site where I write for takes responsibility for filing DMCAs. It is up to the author to send one.  You own the copyright, you are responsible for following up on theft.

I did not suggest the site do the work of it - but the detection and reporting is as relatively easy as finding  duplicate content to unpublish your hub - for them.

??? It is as easy to find a duplicated hub (out of the millions here) somewhere in the billions of web articles as it is to remove a hub from their own site?

And yes, they have a complete legal right to remove any content they wish to, for any reason, from their own site.  While you may file a legal challenge, you will lose as there is nothing illegal about it.

"??? It is as easy to find a duplicated hub (out of the millions here) somewhere in the billions of web articles as it is to remove a hub from their own site?"

They already do that when they find that your hub is duplicated !  Not hard to understand is it ?

I never suggested that I would mount a legal challenge, I can't afford it.  But what makes you so sure I would lose if I did, are you a lawyer, or even a solicitors clerk  ?

Yes, they find duplicates.  And they notify us when it happens.  Do they find them all, or even find them within hours or days of publication?  No.

I am unable to find any indication that they must publish whatever we give them.  Have you found such a statement or law?  What we do find is that we must abide by their TOS, which is changeable at their whim - that would seem pretty clear to me that they only publish what they want to on their site.

Not only do I not know what you are talking about - it is pretty clear that you don't either.

If you are a lawyer concerned in some field of business or contract law then you have something to add - otherwise you are just making noises.

8. Charlu profile image79

WOW I just read that forum and thank you Terry for letting me know I don't want anyone to get banned for trying to help.

Thanks Izzy I will contact Flixya and see what they will do.

Thanks you all and I didn't want anyone to get in trouble I was just dumbfounded at how quick and obvious it was.

I can't help wonder though why HP would post a forum up about being out ranked by poor quality articles and then not care they've been out ranked by stolen hubs.  Oh well who knows

I really appreciate you guys and thanks again

1. Charlu profile image79

Thank you Susana. I just took a couple of jing/screen shots to show them and am on my way to contact Flixya

As I said you guys are the best!

2. Charlu profile image79

By the way (sorry I forgot) Izzy and Wilderness are right I think, because when I searched hubbers for Aficionado several came up that had supposedly been here for 3 years to 3 months with 0 hubs and 0 followers.

Just thought I'd let you know

See ya

You are right - there are three aficionado profiles over 3 years, all empty with no activity - could this be one of the hubbers that got Pearldiver banned for trying to expose ?

As we do not know who they are, or why Hubpages refuses to comment, could this be the MO of a hub thief - a one line profile or no line at all, no activity of any kind for 3 years but comes back to make a new persona a few times ????

Maybe Simone in her new super-helpful-woman role could look into it and get back to us ?

1. Mutiny92 profile image65
          Mutiny92posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Simone is busy pulling wings off of baby butterflies!  smile

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

Again...PD got banned for a personal attack not for threatening to name names.

6 of one and half a dozen of the other - The so called personal attack that I saw on that thread did not warrant any banning, especially as he was being baited - and considering the circumstances of what PD was doing it was a ridiculous action  -  so ridiculous in fact that it has all the hallmarks of a cover up.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

Well, I'm not one for conspiracy theories.

No conspiracy - it was quite obvious that a moderator stopped PD in mid flow, just after he revealed that 'senior' hubbers were responsible for stealing hubs and about to name them ?????

5. TerryGl profile image57

When it comes to stolen content you guys would have no idea.

Any article spinner that is worth his worth, could spin a whole niche here from hubpages and you would never know the difference.

In fact, I will bet the left side one that this happens all the time. It saves writing an article now doesn't it?

In fact, ask yourself how much of work here is in an e-book?

You would never know. But it is. If you want to make an ebook and sell it for a few dollars, then scrape the living daylights out of Hubpages, its great content. Forums outside of here discuss this all the time.

This is the forum or platform we (or you) write under and have to expect these types of things.

That's why everyone, hubbers who have been here since this joint started, is screaming for you to build out your own sites and not rely on a third party.

And for the record, PD was treated terribly unfairly, there is no doubt about that. Trying to help, called out the problem and was banned. That is a conspiracy.

6. Charlu profile image79

OK I just sent the email to Flixya and again thank you guys so much. Susana that template was just perfect for what they required so it was very easy to do.

I have to say that as aggravated as I was (calmed down now), it kind of makes me feel good that someone would want to take my writing. I mean how bad can it be if someone wants to steal it right??? smile

You guys have made what would have been an incredibly stressful day a much nicer one, which I'm sure my animals and others appreciate as much as I do.

I really appreciate your time and help.

I am glad you have it sorted - now you can relax aith a G&T and bask in the knowledge that someone valued your hub smile

7. TerryGl profile image57

Great stuff Charlu, sorry to hijack your thread.

8. TerryGl profile image57

Nice one recommend1.

I could take a whole lot of hubs in a niche and put them all in a html file. Then I could take the html file and turn it into an exe file. I could then put it on 1200+ sites and sell it. No one can see in an exe file, so content on the net is never secure.

9. Charlu profile image79

Alright now I'm fired up again

Terry you are absolutely correct that I know nothing about spinning or stealing someone elses niche. That's not what this is about for me, and in my opinion anyone who is not capable of writing their own original content shouldn't be making a living at it anyway.

The reason every search engine out there is cracking down so hard on everyone is because of just that! Nobody wants to read the same stuff over, and over, and over again just with a different prefix.

The reason I came to HP is because it has numerous people (that I follow) who do write unique/original articles and maybe when it comes time for the bells to chime it will be admired more than the spinners/thieves will ever know.

I am a firm believer (now) that what goes around comes around just ask my boss who went from 0 to billionaire and didn't care about the people that got him there to selling his 80 mill home for peanuts and probably bankrupt.

Oh yeah apology accepted

10. TerryGl profile image57

Yeh I know. But the problem is you have had content stolen. That has upset you. It upsets everyone.

But, that is what is happening on the net. There are not that many savvy people out there and they steal content. You suffered that very same fate. Someone said you can find stolen content, well you cannot if its hidden in an ebook or exe file.

The reality is that our content does get re-produced and no credit is given.

No one can help really. Sure you file a DMCA or adsense complaint, but really there are millions of others in the que.

As Doug Malrey used to say, people are just no damn good. I have not set out to upset you, just point out that these things happen.

It will only do your head in if you let it. I know I have been there before.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
        prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with this. Makes you wonder why Google can't stop duplicates on G blogs and those who have adsense and use those copied/duplicates and still earn adsense from it. Of course scrapers and spinners are always on the lookout on published articles so they can publish it elsewhere earning adsense as well.

This is Internet and welcome to the new age.

It is a reality. Contact the owner of the site.

11. Charlu profile image79

I know I let that part of this business get to me, but this is twice (once with __ and they took care of it for me)and it will probably happen again, but now at least I know what to do myself.

I just get aggravated when people take things from others  especially something you know they worked for. I would say worked hard for but that one didn't take that long to write.

Call me a dreamer if you will I just know that continuing to do what I feel in my heart is right will pay off and  I love doing it so we'll see.

Well just checked some other rankings and very excited so now I need to go write and see if I can do it again.

Thanks again to everybody and sorry Terry I just get a little crazy about people stealing (not quite sure why) anything and probably something I need to work on especially when it comes to writing:)

Have an incredible day

1. TerryGl profile image57
        TerryGlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You too Charlu, you seem very nice and no one can take away your passion. You have left quite a nice impression here. Thank you.

12. Aficionada profile image78
      Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

Hi, All –

I'm in Saturday mode here, so I've only just now seen this and thought I would weigh in a bit – even though you all seem to have it sorted already.

Thanks:  IzzyM, Susanna S, and wilderness, for your expressions of confidence in me.  You are correct that I would not steal someone else's work.  During the 68articles mess, I found to my surprise that some of my work had been stolen; I complained and even filed my first DMCA, and what I could find was removed. I haven't followed up yet to see whether other stolen work of mine is out there somewhere, but I do know how frustrating and disheartening it can be.  Besides having been a victim of a thief, I am also just not someone who would resort to stealing, and I have spent some time flagging hubs and profiles.

But having said that, I want to say that I do also agree with rebekahELLE that it is not wise to assume that just because someone is a Hubber that they are honest.  Frankly, that's just not realistic by the numbers.  Out of the 200,000+ of us, there would be no thieves?  No, actually there are bound to be thieves here, as infuriating and discouraging as that may be.  I don't understand why a thief would feel the need to join, though, because it seems like anyone could find content here to copy, if that is their MO.  As Terry has pointed out, it is all too easy.

So, I just want to say that I support the hunt for thieves, even if someone felt they had a reason to suspect me.  I think that all honest people feel the same way – however, we do probably recognize that it can waste valuable time to focus on the wrong suspects.

[continued]

13. Aficionada profile image78

As for the name – my Username is a variation of the Spanish word aficionado (which is now common in English) meaning "ardent devotee," with the last letter changed – per my limited understanding of Spanish grammar – to show that I'm a woman.  But because aficionado is a common word, you can find it used all over the internet and IRL, having absolutely no connection to me or my writing (and honestly, in practically all cases not even attempting to – most are just as aware of my existence as they are of the gnats in their back yard).

Since the Hubbers who use the original word aficionado as their Usernames don't provide any real info about themselves, it would be hard to know whether one or all of them are thieves.   I might be inclined to flag their profiles for the staff to check, since there is a valid reason to question whether they might be stealing here. (As implied above, I would even support that if you suspected me.) But that's an individual decision.

[continued]

14. Aficionada profile image78

To recommend1 and Terry – I did read and follow all of the threads about 68articles with interest, first because of the topic and later because I learned that my own work had been stolen. 

I do not agree with you all that PD was put in Time Out (formerly known as "banned") because he was about to name names.  He actually did name names, before he was put in Time Out – for unstated reasons, but probably related to what someone construed as a personal attack.  You probably realize that all it takes for a banning (oops, for a Time Out) is for anyone to contact staff and say that there has been a personal attack, and it doesn't even have to be the one who felt attacked.  I know that at the time this was going on some of the staff were reading those threads so, for all we know, they may have interpreted some of the words as personal attacks themselves.  We just don't know.

PD himself has mentioned that his way of expressing himself can sometimes be misunderstood, and I think that's true of all of us on the Net.  His passion and adamancy occasionally go over the top, and I think that's what happened in the 68A case – with reason.  He had been engaged in a difficult task for a very long stretch of time and was understandably worn out and highly frustrated.  As for whether it was unfair or not, why would it be fair to give preferential treatment to him, if he actually did use words that were taken to be a personal attack?

I never took PD's posts to indicate that he wanted to do the job all by himself – quite the reverse!  IMO, a lot of his frustration came from a lack of response from other skilled Hubbers who could have been assisting him in the huge job he had undertaken, as well as a lack of response on the part of the staff.

While I agree with Rebekah, Izzy and Uninvited Writer that it is our own responsibility to protect our own copyrighted work, I would also love to see a degree more of engagement from the staff on the subject of stolen content – but I'm not sure how, because every idea that comes to my mind would be easy for an "enemy" to game in such a way as to cause harm to the honest writer.  I do support deleting accounts that have no articles, no (or very few) followers, and no (or very few) forum posts after a fixed amount of time (six months?  a year?). I think that would be one good way to trim out the dead wood here – but even that would be an easy guideline to sidestep and wouldn't necessarily target the thieves.  The one Hubber that PD named had (if I recall correctly) some seemingly legitimate activity on their account.

Charlu, Terry is very upset about the treatment of Pearldiver; his statement that discussing the subject of stolen content might get someone banned is his interpretation of the events, but is not necessarily an accurate representation of reality.

However…  concerning the Conspiracy Theories espoused here – good grief, y'all, you're making the True Believers look extremely sane! 

[THE END]

15. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years ago

You could have made a hub out of this reply smile

1. Aficionada profile image78
        Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol True - sorry 'bout dat!

My recent experience says that continuing to publish new hubs does boost overall traffic, but I know that boost is very likely temporary.  I'll take that...  But I'm also working at aiming for organic traffic AMAP, so I guess that sometimes means TMI in the forums.  Oh, well. smile

1. IzzyM profile image87

You go girl!

I've been lucky too in that recent publications are doing OK. So it's not all doom and gloom.

1. Aficionada profile image78
            Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And you go girl, too!

I have actually been excited because my traffic is on an upswing - but I don't want to get unreasonably happy about it, in case it really is just a little bump; I'm trying to keep a watch-and-see stance.  Heeeere's hopin'!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)