What to charge?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

In a few days I'm changing my local pet site here in Orlando to a full resource site. By that I mean I will have sections for pet grooming, dog walking, pet boarding and so on.

I intend to charge anyone who wants to be listed in those a fee per month. The question is,,,, how much?

It still is not getting a huge amount of hits, maybe 800 page views a day. I was thinking of going very cheap.

By doing that, almost all would pay for a spot. So if I only charged 5 bucks a month, that seems very little.

But if you times that by 100 or so it's a nice little side money. Premium ads in the sidebar would be more.

So what do you think, would most go for listing their ad for 5 bucks a month? I know I would. Do you think it should be more? Any advice appreciated, thanks. big_smile

1. TheSenior profile image60
      TheSeniorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you only charge $5 per month, you will be losing money when you think of all the costs/expenses associated with running a business.  I am charging $150 per listing for my accounting website and that is cheap.  You must have all your costs/expenses down so that you can know what to charge for advertising.

There's another saying that if you charge too little people might think your/your site isn't worth it.  Don't sell yourself short, but don't go overboard either.

Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi there TheSenior, good points you make. I already make money off the site via adsense and sponsor ads. So listings will be just extra.

But yes, why give them away if I can make much more? Plus it's true if your the low guy your site may seem not worth it. Thanks for more to think about. smile

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Bill, I would say $5 per month would be nice. If you gain a whole of traction with it, then increase it at a later date, providing the value is there. smile

Hope that helps. smile

3. lrohner profile image70
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Bill, I've done sites like that. You really need to follow one of two models:

Free listings until Whatever Date, 2011, and then some nominal fee like Cags suggested for a basic listing.

or

Free basic listings (minimal text, no pics, maybe not even a hyperlink), and a nominal amount per month for a "premium listing." You can even follow the Yellow Pages format and have different tiers of listings at different prices. I used to sell real estate listings from anywhere from $75/month (50 words, one photo, no live link) up to $1k/month (full page ad).

What happens with these sites is if they don't start out looking successful with lots of listings, you'll have trouble selling them -- regardless of the price.

I started one where I just included listings for businesses so that the site had something on it before I even started to sell. smile

4. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the advice so far all. Yes Irohner, you make a good point and what someone else told me in an email just now. wink

I can see I need to do it different than I was going to. List them all for free, then contact them and ask if they want to buy a better ad.

Or put ads on the listing and charge to take them off. Or charge for a big, one page listing and so on.

I never could figure out how sites start a listing and have anyone on it at first?

The answer is as you said, you put them all up for free, then charge for improvements, or to keep them up. Thanks! smile

1. lrohner profile image70
      lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Caution: Do not give free listings to the ones you think will be most profitable to you in the long run. If they don't get business from a free listing on your site now, it's going to be really tough to sell them on a paid listing later.

That is true, and is why I also have thought that maybe I should wait until I get more traffic to my site.

It's tough to say how much traffic is enough for a local site. I think I still am a bit short on that and might wait until I'm getting at least 500 unique a day.

5. WoodsmensPost profile image62
    WoodsmensPostposted 13 years ago

Bill have you ever looked into Projectwonderful.com,  this could be a test for you to see what bidders are willing to pay. They way it works is the hightest bidders ad is displayed. You can also use like 2 or more ads spaces available at once. It's worth a try if not for that site maybe one of your other sites or blogs.

Actually I already use that site. To be honest you just can't find any good sites on there. Plus most only want to pay 5 cents a day or less. But thanks for trying to help. smile

6. profile image0
    Tilecleaninghubposted 13 years ago

I think you need to either create an adsense type site or a subscriber based site.  Those subscribers are going to create problems with your adsense account imo.  You will likely get invalid clicks and if some subscriber gets upset and starts click bombing your adds you put your adsense for all your sites in jeopardy.  I would stick to one or the other.

Well that is something to think about, thanks for drawing that to my attention. smile

7. lakeerieartists profile image63
    lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

Bill, I would do in tiered fashion.  There are not many advertising venues for any kind of business that allow a site to list for free unless they are already a member like a Chamber of Commerce.  Even just a basic listing of a name address, phone, and website should cost something, and I would start with at least $10.  Then you can offer an advanced listing, and a listing with a picture ad or something like that.  Depending on what the industry charges (I have no idea for pet stuff) base your rates on that.

Bill Manningposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your take on it lakeerieartists. The problem is starting the listings. If you have a blank page waiting for people to pay to be put on there, your not going to get any.

Nobody wants to pay to be the only one on a page, it looks bad and not worth it. So I need to list them all first for free, giving basic info.

Then I can ask them to pay to keep it up, only having it free for a month or so, or pay for more info on their listing. Maybe including their website link for extra, more words and so on.

The tiered thing you mention is good, thanks. smile

1. lakeerieartists profile image63
        lakeerieartistsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why not create some free listings to start?  Just put names and addresses, then if they want more they have to pay.  You can list people without asking them as long as you don't put out any proprietary information.

Yes that is basically what I will do. I have some I already made free articles for in my blog section. I will add those but with just basic info.

Then they can pay to add a site link and so on. I'll get it figured out soon! tongue

1. iQwest profile image47
            iQwestposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Bill - I was about to chime in, but, after reading through the posts, lrohner did a much more thorough job addressing what I would be personally inclined to advise.

Unless there's obvious negative ramifications, most people won't pass up something that's free especially if it doesn't take too much effort to take advantage of the free thing (listing) that you're offering.

Based on your sentiments on the current growth point of your site, it seems like drawing advertisers in to give your site a chance to prove its value is a good way to go.  If your advertisers are receiving value, most will not squabble over paying a fee down the road especially if the financial benefit your site is providing is clearly outweighing their cost to advertise.

Regardless of what you do, good luck in your new direction!

Thanks, I'll figure it out all at some point. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)