How to earn money on HubPages?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Phenoms profile image60
    Phenomsposted 11 years ago

Just found this website on while I was Googling. I used to write stories when I was in school, and later too. I love this scope and this platform. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

stop

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 11 years ago

Start reading the FAQ here and that section will cover money-making.

http://hubpages.com/faq/#royalties

Also, you'll need to write Hubs.

3. Phenoms profile image60

Hello. Thanks for the advice. It's really helpful and encouraging. I was looking for a little more information actually. How much money can you make here, and what time-scale does it take? I am just in the process of making my first few hubs. Thanks.

1. profile image53
      Tulip17posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

Phenomsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Whatever and whoever you are, you are very uncivil. I don't know whether what hubpages promises is true or not. I have no evidence that they are not telling lies or not. Maybe. Well, I am just experimenting with this site.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
          Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Phenoms, take no notice, Tulip17 is a troll and not worth responding to.  Hubpages gives you the opportunity to showcase and monetize your work.  Some people do very well and others not so well. We are all, after all, at the mercy of Google.

Having said that, there are still people that make payout every month, above and beyond the payout level. Currently, I'm very happy with my levels of traffic and I have less than 30 hubs. The community is really supportive and you'll find that the majority of people are more than willing to help should you need help..

I personally don't take these people seriously. Thanks for coming by. What concerns me is that he maybe correct, in a sense. I haven't seen who earns how much here. It's tough to blindly believe what a website says.

People will not always want to post their earnings because it's personal. However some do. The link below, although I do not know how old the article is, should give you a better idea. Relache has also written a hub which gives some indication of earning by hubbers (in that a poll was conducted where respondents gave indications of their monthly earnings)

http://alocsin.hubpages.com/hub/The-Hig … onclusions

Thanks. That was an interesting article. It says that some earn 3800 dollars per month here. Well, that figure is quite odd to believe. I guess he is giving correct figures, and not playing.

4. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 11 years ago

Many people here make payout regularly each month, many people several times over. But like anything it either requires a huge amount of luck or you need to put in the work to get the rewards.

Too many people have an expectation that they will become overnight millionaires by writing about how their cat is so cute or by following "proven" SEO methods that are years out of date and then complain that they don;t get the traffic that they obviously deserve because they are such skilled writers.

We are all very much at the mercy of the search engines but if you can write good informative articles that people read from start to finish and are actively searching for then you stand a chance to make money. But finding those subjects where there are not already millions of other "quality" pages competing for those views is the challenge.

Good luck in your writing....

Thanks for the informative suggestions. I work for Wipro, a software development company, and currently staying in Montreal, Quebec. I have a job which pays me well. I am not here to become an overnight millionaire.

But I do expect honesty and integrity. It's quite offensive to publicly display in the frontpage that someone earns $1,500 per month by writing here, or how someone has bought a car and has taken family vacations with their pay off here, without giving proper evidence.

If hub pages is a website for hobby, then that's good. But if it says that people can earn from this venue, then they must be prepared to back that up with solid information that everyone can agree to believe. Otherwise, it's a wastage of time.

If you scan some of the hubs of the high earners, they sometimes offer screenshots of their earnings and traffic, in addition to month by month accounts. It is not my experience that HP is a scam, if that's what you're thinking. Also, it would be very unprofessional for HP to post evidence of earnings of all users without their permission.

The internet is a tough place to earn a living, but with determination, time and SEO'd hubs, it is certainly possible.

Thanks again, for responding. Did you mention screenshots? It's amusing because it reminded me how we used to fool our teachers by taking screen-shots of a computer which has hanged, and then set that as a desktop background on the computer that they would use. Well, those were the college days.

Screen-shots are no evidence, to put it politely.

If the legal terms of this website allows them to show evidence of who earns how much, then that should not be unprofessional. However, my point is quite different though. What I found uncanny is that this site hub-pages makes claims (success stories) that they have not supported with any evidence. They want the users to believe that the members featured in the frontpage of this website really earn that much. From the business point of view, if you claim something like that, then you must be prepared to back that up. Otherwise, it may equal to deliberate manipulation.

I'm afraid I disagree, for HP to name users and then display how much that user has earned on the internet, without the users consent would be highly unprofessional, and could possibly lead to litigation- HP are surely bound by legislation regarding confidentiality like everyone else.

Other than screenshots of earnings from affiliates and levels of traffic,  there really isn't any other way for users to demonstrate that they have earned what they say they have. Whether you accept that or not is up to you. At the end of the day, there's only really one way to find out whether HP is that right platform for you, and that's to try writing some hubs, or not, as the case maybe.

If the legal terms don't allow them to do that, then that's understandable.

But if there is no way for us to get to know who earns how much, then how did hub pages publish the 'success stories' in their frontpage?

At the end of the day, if this is a site for hobby, then I am wasting my time here. For a working professional like me, that is already disappointing.

1. Greekgeek profile image78
                Greekgeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure Hubpages asked for and got permission from those hubbers to post their success stories. You evidently don't realize how many people would refuse to use a site that divulged their financial information without permission.

Not only is it a violation of privacy, but also, anyone who's a top earner on sites like this is a target for copycats, scrapers, content stealers, imitators, and people trying to down-rate their work in competition with it. It's called "Tall Poppy Syndrome." I haven't seen it happen here, but I've certainly seen it on other sites, and I doubt HP is immune to this web-wide phenomenon.

So you have to learn how a site monetizes, see if it makes sense as a business model, and learn to judge whether people's posts seem real or phony. ANYTHING on the web could be fake, so what "evidence" could you accept if you don't accept screenshots or testimonials? You have to learn to evaluate the source.

Personally, I find HP to be a minor earner in my online income portfolio, useful to make sure I'm not dependent on just one third party site for the bulk of my income. Someone who had started on HP and mastered it better than I have might see higher returns.

1. relache profile image72
                  relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They did.

2. Phenoms profile image60

Anything on the internet can be fake, that's the reason I thought I should seek evidence before I involve with this site. Anyone can create or fake screen-shots. There should be other ways to establish those facts that hubpages is claiming to be true.

The point I am making should not be very difficult to understand, which is, if hubpages has published the 'success stories' in their frontpage, then they must be able to demonstrate that those figures are real. Otherwise, that practice resembles coaxing.

2. Barbara Kay profile image73
            Barbara Kayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry, you can earn money here, but it takes some research and then some hard work. No, you won't earn the money for your time that you do at your present job, but you'll continue to earn money on a hub that is years old if you keep it updated.

2. profile image53
        Tulip17posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

I'm not the trolling in the forums, get a life yourself.

2. WriteAngled profile image74
          WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you are making a partial point in that the earning statements made on
          http://hubpages.com/success/
          date back to autumn last year. However, you can expand the information about each individual, which will display a more up-to-date graph of views. Going by the earnings figures stated, you will be able to extrapolate the current likely income from the graphs.

I personally know several people who were earning of the order of $1000-3000 per month here in the past. They have moved on to other things, because certain changes imposed by Hubpages did not fit with their particular publishing style.

It is fair to say that earnings here have taken a hit since the start of the Panda business, however I think that people with a decent number of the right sort of hubs are still clearing a reasonable sum each month.

It's interesting that you provided that link, because being a newcomer, I had no idea that what I read in the front page was partial. Take this frontpage entry for example, it reads -

"Kathryn Vercillo
            earns $1,500 a month writing on things that truly interest her"

Reading that one may assume that Kathryn has been getting $1,500 every month since she joined this website. Those who read more carefully, they may reach the conclusion that she gets around 1500 dollars each month, and not exactly 1500. Now go to the link that you provided. There it reads quite different-

"Average passive monthly earnings: $1,500 as of 10/12/2011"

The word 'average' is missing in the frontpage entry, and those who join this website read that entry, and not the link that you provided, and that word 'average' makes a huge difference. She joined this website 5 years ago. It might be as well that she started earning money after two years, more maybe, since the date that she joined this website. We don't get that reality while we read about those featured members, in the frontpage.

And there is still no certainty that what I read through that link is true or not, the reason that I created this thread. There is no evidence.

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 11 years ago

According to the data I've collected, around 60% of respondents to the polls I've maintained for the last 4 years earn $10 or less per month.  And that average has stayed pretty steady.

3. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

Sufficient people have said what they earn on this site at various times in various forum threads. If you are interested, you can do a few searches to find the information. Both good earnings and poor earnings have been reported. If you choose not to believe the reports, that is your decision.

Since you say you are an IT professional, I'm sure it would be very easy for you to set up a web on an IT-related niche.

You could then place some content on your site, with Adsense and whichever affiliate schemes you decide to join. At the same time, you could produce a few hubs on related topics.

In a few months, you would have your own comparative data and would not need to be asking the question of anyone else.

If that is too much work for you, then perhaps you should stick to your day job.

I personally give preference to my freelance business, because it pays me better. Hence the reason I have so few hubs. I only write content for this site and for my own web sites when I have both the time to spare and the inclination to write.

In the end it comes down to personal choice.

Thanks for the reply. Belief is a very difficult subject. If you know someone personally, you can believe them. To expect someone to believe what some people are saying over the internet, is entirely a different matter, and a malicious advice in a sense.

There no certainty that if I write a couple of hubs and wait for a few months, then I would have my own comparative data.

If one follows the link that you gave me yesterday, then it becomes very clear that even for those who earn like average 1500 dollars per month, it might have taken years to reach the stage when they started getting their first pennies through this program.

It might be as well that anyone who just throws himself into this website without mature deliberation, will repent later for the loss of time and energy of years.

4. tussin profile image58
      tussinposted 11 years ago

Comrade, your (sockpuppet's) profile says "My creative side went inactive for a long time, I am planning to write some good articles and stories here. Any advice is welcome." Everybody knows there's no money in creative writing.

I must say, your broken English has improved with each passing post you make.

5. MayG profile image77
      MayGposted 11 years ago

Hi Phenoms,

I think HubPages is quite open about the fact that only SOME hubbers make this kind of money.  I think they make it quite clear that it depends on the quality of the writing, how popular the topics are that hubbers are writing about and how well these hubs show up in search engines.

For some reason this thread seems to have gone from asking for advice about HubPages to something of an attack on it?

I don't make much money on HubPages, but I never expected to, unless I put in the amount of work required.  If you look at the quality and quantity of the hubs written by some of these high-earning hubbers, you will probably see that they are talented writers who work hard.  They could probably make money anywhere that they chose to publish.

6. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Proceed..

7. mattforte profile image88
      mattforteposted 11 years ago

You are over-analyzing the claims made on the success stories page.
      Here is the plain truth:
      Advertisers pay to advertise.
      Hubpages advertises.
      Hubpages shares a percentage of that advertising money, with the people who produce content for them to advertise on.

Tons of people around the internet make full time incomes online. I now make payout every month...and I've made more money every month than the previous for several months now (I've only been here less than a year)
      Your original question was how to earn:
      Spend less energy analyzing things like that, spend that energy instead on writing quality content.
      You mentioned "stories" - stories will not earn money. The things people search Google for are what brings visitors, and bringing visitors is what makes money. Helpful, informative hubs - that's how you earn money on HubPages. Nothing more to it, honestly.

8. Phenoms profile image60

Thanks everyone for your valuable advice. I was searching for content in this website while I discovered a very interesting forum thread, it has this heading - "stalked by a hubber". A member of this website, named FloraBreenRobison, said something which I find fascinating. It reveals a lot about this website HubPages. It's posted below.

FloraBreenRobison has been banned five months ago. Here is the link to the thread where she posted this - http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/94777#post2023284 . And link to her hub-pages profile - http://florabreenrobison.hubpages.com/.

FloraBreenRobison posted 5 months ago

"This (stalking) is a very serious issue and not to be taken lightly with jokes. I have been stalked regarding not only my forum posts, but my comments on my own hubs and the hubs of others where the person takes photographs of your comments so they have proof you made them if you delete them. I defended myself in one of my own hubs. No doubt this comment will get flagged, but I am beyond caring as to not make this post would mean letting the person control me, and I have no interest in that happening. I would rather get banned from this site for being honest than silence my voice. Unfortunately, in writing that hub I included direct quotes by HP's moderators they sent to me in an email and thereby I violated their terms of service  and have been put on publication probation. I expect to remain on this probation for a long time (perhaps for the remainder of my time on HP), but I don't care about that as I've never made any money here anyway and  the less time I am on this site, the more time I have to accomplish important tasks. . Keep what has happened to me in mind and I give you this advice: You can contact HP all you want and they will sound sincere in first dealing with you. But write a hub about your experience and refer to any correspondence with the HP staff and you will be put on probation too  . So if it is important to you to have control over your domain, what you publish and when you publish (I do care),  you want to awarded silly badges  about social interaction on this site (I don't care), you care about HP people in general reading your hubs even if they aren't your regular readers or friends and therefore not your friends/customers (I don't care), then you want to avoid annoying the powers that be and ignore the person entirely. It's unfortunate the person I want to avoid makes lots of comments on the hubs of a person I care about deeply, or I could avoid her entirely."

9. BobbiRant profile image58
      BobbiRantposted 11 years ago

I used to make some money here, Not what this site would lead you to believe though.  But since the dumb HP changes, making None!  Good luck getting rid of your account too!  It is impossible to delete an account as it 'looks' like they have so many members if accounts stay up.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)