Coffee Farm Workers in Guatemala

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)
  1. DesignsbyLisa profile image61
    DesignsbyLisaposted 13 years ago

To help become fluent in Spanish, I am planning to visit San Lucas Toliman, Guatemala in September 2011. I will be staying with the parents of some Guatemalan friends I met here in the states. Her parents are coffee field workers, which I know nothing about, but am very interested. I had been studying "Fair Trade" coffee for months, when this opportunity came up. When I was invited by their daughter to be a guest in her parents home, I joyfully accepted. I had no idea at the time that her parents were coffee field workers, the very trade I had been studying and desiring to sell though my business. I don't believe for a moment that this is a coincidence.

I have been drinking coffee from South America for about 3 years and find it to be the best coffee I've ever tasted. I never knew coffee in the states was so terrible until I had a cup of coffee from Honduras (as well as Costa Rica, Columbia, Guatemala). Wow, what a difference! smooth, not bitter, and something that is now rapidly growing in the states as we learn about this precious commodity we've been missing out on for years! A lot of people here in the states have been growing aware of the coffee field workers that are grossly underpaid (something we never knew about) but the awareness has come when we first saw the "Fair Trade" seal and started asking questions.

So here's my question, they are coffee workers. What does that look like? Anything you can tell me about what to expect while I'm there. I am not wealthy by any means, but in comparison, I've lived a sheltered life here in America and have no idea what it's like to get paid next to nothing for a hard days work. That makes me sad. We have an abundance here (so to speak) and I want to share that abundance with our neighbors to the south. Please help me understand, and also I welcome your advise on what I could bring as a "gift" to this family who is allowing me to stay as a guest with them. I do not want to bring something that will offend them, but bless them. If it makes a difference to answer this question, I'll let you know that they are Mayan Indians. They speak their native language as well as Spanish. They do not speak english, so we will be communicating in Spanish.  Lord help me!   I do plan on comming back to Guatemala for a year, and manage my business down there, but am making this initial trip to meet this wonderful family that has opened their home to me. I'm truly humbled.

I'm welcoming helpful comments and any advise you can give me regarding what to pack and what to leave at home. I honestly don't know and am vulnerable to what is ahead of me. This is a new land and I want to be wise and learn as much as I can before I arrive in September. Also in this culture, what is offensive and what is a blessing. Please help me.

DesignsbyLisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Please will someone help me?  This is my post and it's disappointing that nobody has responded in 2 weeks.

1. CJ Andrews profile image86
        CJ Andrewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Talk to your friend and see what essentials they need.  If they are as hard-up as you say, they probably have a lot of needs.  But the best person will be someone who knows them and/or the situation they are in.

Thanks CJ....I wanted it to be a surprise, but I suppose your right.  They don't speak English, but that's ok....helps me practice my Spanish.  I was actually going to bring a pair of work boots for the father.  Hopefully nobody steals them off his feet.

2. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I have posted maybe a good 500 hundred times to the forums in the past couple of weeks and never saw this thread. However, even if I did see this thread, I wouldn't have much advice to give.

So, just to let you know, I have no knowledge about Coffee workers in the location you are going. I also have no knowledge of said family you will be staying with, even with your detailed description. I would ask your friend who invited you, what to get, considering that person might have more insight into a gift.

Secondly, if you're planning on running a business down there and shipping to the marketplace in America, then I would suggest you get very familiar with the Laws of Coffee shipments into America and the entire process. If you are not planning on utilizing America's marketplace, then I would suggest looking into the Laws down there. Other than that, I have nothing else to offer.

Good luck. wink

Thank you Cagsil, I must have posted it in the wrong spot.  The business I plan on running down there is several years from now.  This is my initial visit to do exactly what you are requesting.  Before I can learn anything, I have to get to know the people and build a relationship.....and get better at Spanish.....my other reason, Spanish immersion. 
      Gracias por tu ayuda, bendiciones! (Thank you for your help, blessings!)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)