The nanny dogs

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)
  1. IntimatEvolution profile image69
    IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years ago

I have to admit I am one of those people who are scared of pit bulls.  However, as an animal lover I also know this is an unfounded fear, and that any pit bulls that I have came in contact with have been the sweetest dogs ever! So when I read yahoo 's article about the "nanny dogs" I must admit how surprised I was.  It is also a reminder to my generation and to those after us that we have created this "monster"or perception of this breed and it is truly time to stop harrassing this gentle breed.  I hope that future generations are capable of fixing our mistakes.

The article featured on yahoo showed vintage pictures of pit bulls and the children they took care of.  The article also told you stuff about how the pit bull use to be a highly publicize dog.  For example it was the dog on the little rascals  and the RCA  dog on the label.  I didn't know that.  I enjoyed the article alot.  Thus I wanted to share  what I learned.  Did anyone else see the article?

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I didn't see the article, but it would be very difficult for me to get past my prejudices of the breed. I've known three very good owners who did everything possible to raise pit bulls as gentle family members. One now has a child disfigured for life, one had to put the dog down after it attacked an adult and the third had to find another home for the dog after its personality changed to become very predatory and aggressive. I  have never met any other pit bulls.

I'll have to look at this article and see if I can't get a better understanding of the breed.

3. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

I cannot imagine leaving a pit bull in the home with a small child. 

It may be that the breed is vicious and aggressive.  It may be that it simply takes a highly talented and motivated owner to consistently produce docile pit bulls.  It may be that 99% of pit bulls are good with children.  It may be that the media jumps on every single pit bull attack.

Any or none of these may be true, but what is undeniable is that pit bulls are well known for incredibly aggressive attacks, to the point of death.  Even if it is only a very small percentage of the breed that produces such attacks it is still much higher than other breeds.

No, I would not have one around children or the elderly.

4. L A Dreamin profile image59
    L A Dreaminposted 12 years ago

I agree, I cannot imagine letting small children alone with ANY dog watching them! I am a dog owner, a dog website owner and love dogs and I would not do this!

5. FiveDogs profile image62
    FiveDogsposted 12 years ago

Pit Bulls were one of the original Nanny Dogs. There is also a Pit Bull who is the symbol of the American Military. What about the Our Gang shorts where there is a Pit Bull? Everyone talks about the "bad blood" in the pit bull. And about the grip of their jaws when biting. Both are MYTHS. Pit Bulls are strong and are now used in pulling competitions for their strength. But it's only the bad stuff we see on these great dogs. Pit Bulls get a bad rap for their owners actions. I think it's sad that all Pitties are labeled "evil" or "vicious" just because of their breed. And, now, thanks to the BSL, most of these beautiful, intellegent, dogs can be shot on sight. Is that fair? It's like being back in Nazi Germany for the Pit Bull. Shame on all of you who believe Pitties are "bad" dogs, without having known one. If you were to meet my Mal, you'd change your mind I'd bet. My grandkids have been around Mal most of their lives and he's never offered to harm them. My grandson is now 11 and loves Mal. And Mal loves to play with my g-son. He loves to tickle his ears by sniffing in them then licking them. Would I leave my kids alone with a Pittie? I have and will do so again. They are not as "aggressive" as everyone makes them out to be. As I said before, there are no bad dogs but bad dog owners. FYI the most aggressive dog to have around children is a collie. Another dog that is not good with kids are Rat Terriers, Jack Russells, Dachsund, Pekes, and Poms. Chihuahuas are the worst to have around small kids. They do bite. I've lived with dogs in my life for over 45 years and have never had a pit bull bite one kid in our neighborhood. But let me state this, I would not leave the dogs alone with the kids for longer than it would take me to make a cup of coffee or go to the bathroom. If it came to going shopping, the kids would go. I'm just saying that some dogs are great with kids while others aren't.
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5195190_f248.jpg

6. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I used to babysit a neighbors two young (5, 8) children for a couple of hours once a week, as she worked nights. I left when her partner came home. They have a pit bull and he would greet me at the door by jumping on me, which I did not like! I let the owner know I was not comfortable with the dog jumping on me and she said, he won't hurt you.. I asked if she could please put the dog in another room until I was settled in the house which she would forget to do.
    When the youngest child, a little girl, went to bed, the dog would sleep on her bed, and no one could go near the bed or the dog would growl. Even the owner said she couldn't go near the bed!
    I don't understand this! When does a dog become more important than people? Yes, I love dogs, and have had them my entire life, but this amazed me. I  didn't babysit long at this place. I never felt completely comfortable with the dog even though he never growled or acted aggressively towards me. The older boy told me that the dog had bitten before.

7. Auntie D profile image60
    Auntie Dposted 12 years ago

All dogs are capable of attacking and harming a person or another animal. Overbreeding has caused neurotic dogs and some are incapable of training and turn on anything or anyone. Other dogs have improper training or no training and this lets the dog be in control. Mostly it's a people problem. If you don't think enough of your dog to teach it the rules you shouldn't have a dog.

There are breeds known for aggression and some should not be left with children even with good training. Most dogs are very capable of being loving, loyal, protective and obedient dogs. But, it takes consistency on the owners part. How does the dog know if it's not taught? Would you let your child jump on another person? Would you let your child run back and forth along a fence screaming
    at people walking by?

I once had a German Shepherd who just could not be trained. We finally found a home for her as a security dog at a warehouse. I've had other dogs approach and really frighten me because of their dominant stature and was greatly relieve when they finally turned around and walked away. So do I classify German Shepherds as all bad? Of course not... good and bad in all dogs, just like up people.

8. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

When my daughter and son-in-law got an American Pit Bull Terrier, I felt terrified at first, because of what has been mentioned here in this thread.

Then I visited them and got to know their lovely and lovable dog.  I also got to read some material published about the APBT by some accredited or credentialed organizations. (I'm not a "dog person," so I don't know what to call them!)  The material gave an interesting history that shed new light (for me) on the bad reputation of the breed.

According to them (but paraphrased by me), during the middle of the 20th century (I'm not really sure of the actual date), criminals and the criminally-inclined became especially aware of how protective the pit bulls tended to be, and they discovered that that trait could benefit them in their illegal pursuits. 

So they began breeding specifically for the traits that the rest of society considers to be undesirable, and they created something of a sub-breed - more aggressive and perhaps even viscious, stronger, more protective, etc.  Actually, it was a combination of breeding and training that took place, but it was - from what I read - a conscious move to create a more protective dog. 

But those dogs didn't just remain in the households of the people who wanted those traits.  Other dog owners didn't necessarily know about the shift in breeding, and so a lot of the more aggressive pit bulls were introduced into homes where they never should have been in the first place.  They are the ones that have earned the bad reputation for the entire breed.

I forget whether it's the American Kennel Club or a similar organization that is trying to help the public understand the difference between the pit bull (mixed breeding and/or bred for negative traits) and the American Pit Bull Terrier, which has a better balance of healthy traits and which has earned the fondness given to the Nanny Dog.

Even so, I agree that it is not wise to leave children alone with any dog!  And I hope someone with more detailed and accurate knowledge will help fill in the gaps I have left in this story. smile

9. FiveDogs profile image62
    FiveDogsposted 12 years ago

I would like to ask for how long are we "leaving the children" with the dogs? If it's for a few minutes, I would say it's normal to assume the dog won't bite, since "we" raised the dog. But if we're talking for like a few hours, then I would agree it's not smart to leave a child alone with a dog. But if you are going to take a shower, or start dinner do you put the child in their bedroom and the dog in another room? And what age are we talking about on the child? If the child is very young, they could be put in a play pen or their crib while you are cooking or showering. What would you do besides tell people it's not a good idea to leave a child alone with a dog? We had dogs when I was very young and my mom used to leave me alone with them all the time when she went out to get the laundry. Or to get the mail. It wasn't for any great length of time, but still I was alone with the dog. That's all I'm asking, what denotes the length of time the child is alone with the dog?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)