First Germany, now Italy

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (21 posts)
  1. John Holden profile image60
    John Holdenposted 12 years ago
  2. profile image0
    Muldanianmanposted 12 years ago

As it says in the article, Italians have already voted against nuclear power, yet it was in the process of being re-introduced.  This goes against the democratic process.  And as the government have tried to prevent a second vote on the issue, I doubt it will take notice of a second no vote, as it has decided to ignore the result of the first one.

1. dutchman1951 profile image59
      dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

sense when is Italian Goverment a corner stone for Democratic Process?

1. uncorrectedvision profile image61
        uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The complexity and chaos of Italian politics is democratic to a degree that mystifies anyone not Italian and most Italians.  It is democracy run amok.

3. American View profile image59
    American Viewposted 12 years ago

America may be next

America has already suspended, for all purposes, the construction of new power plants following the Three Mile Island non-event.

4. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

I would bet the Military-Industrial complex has plenty of alternatives they are hoarding.
    As is usually stated: anything we see, the MIC is already 50 years in advance of it...they just keep it under wraps for the benefit of the profiteers.

What about Tesla and free energy?
    Imagine the dent that would put on some bank accounts!

Imagine if the whole world got together, tried innovative, safe ideas?

People over Profits...that has got to be the mantra of the New World Order.

5. pixmafia profile image48
    pixmafiaposted 12 years ago

For the amount of energy we consume nuclear power is the only real viable option after fossil fuels, like it or not Nuclear is here to stay and we do not have any other serious and viable options at this moment in time.

John Holdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Germany is a heavily industrialised nation and do not seem to share your concerns.

1. CHRIS57 profile image61
        CHRIS57posted 12 years agoin reply to this

When it comes to nuclear energy the majority  of German people are out of their mind. But then...
        I am not quite sure, but the whole "shut down nukes and go renewable" policy appears to me like a giant stimulus to the industrial core of Germany. It will probably keep the German economic engine running while the rest of Europe and the world will face the next recession/depression.
        It is like changing tires and having a pit stop at the right time of the race. Btw. congratulation to the Brits for the Canadian GP (Button and McLaren up front).

6. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I say, well done Germany! Nuclear power is not all it has been cut out to be - we only need to look to Japan. The dangers of nuclear power has been conveniently overlooked. Is it worth sacrificing the next generation or two for some cheap electricity now?

John Holdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's not even cheap though is it? We were told that it would be so cheap that it wouldn't be worth metering, as it turns out it's so expensive that much of the cost has to be passed on to the taxpayer in the costs of storing spent fuel.

Nothing is more costly than the fantasy energies of wind and sun.  The tax subsidies granted by Spain to the vast wind experiment that flopped has been one of the sources of Spain's current fiscal problems.

2. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is not my field of expertise, but I do know that while the actual nuclear plants themselves cost millions of dollars, we were told (as consumers) that the actual cost of manufacturing the electricity was nothing.

So what we pay for electricity covers only the set up costs, and possibly safely storing the spent fuel. That will be why electricity prices are so low...NOT!

England discovered a brilliant solution. Store the spent fuel in Scotland! What?

I spent years treating cancer victims, and yet more years tracking clusters of rare diseases popping up in certain areas, till finally I had had enough and moved out.

Nuclear plants kill.

Good ole Germany for voting them out!

2. uncorrectedvision profile image61

Take a very careful look at what happened in Japan and you will see panic as the motivation.  A forty year old plant, poorly designed, improperly installed, ready to be retired is hit by the largest earth quake in over 100 years and a Tsunami worse than Japan has ever had and you thing it is an ordinary set of circumstances for every nation outside Japan.

The best course of action would be for Poland to buy up every bit of nuclear power technology assemble it and run it right on the German border and prepare for the day Germany comes shopping for the precious energy it will need long before the fantasy promises of wind and sun provide sufficient energy to run Mercedes, Audi, VW and BMW.

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You seem to have a problem with Germany? Look, 40 years ago when I was young, they built the biggest, best, safest plants known to man.
        They used the latest technology, but technology has moved on at such a pace it is hard to keep up. What was great then, isn't now.
        Maybe the German people see that, and they have said enough is enough. No more.
        Go back to hydro-electric, or wind-power, or wave power or good old coal fired power. At least they are SAFE!

The EU has bought so fully into the Global Warming malarkey that Coal Fired Plants will be next.  Wind is nearly useless requiring conventionally produced electricity to supplant the calm hours.  Spain's wind power generation was no where near as effective as promised despite the open and windy central plains of Spain.  My sole problem with Germany is they are undermining their own prosperity and consequently the prosperity of the Euro Zone meaning that Spain will have no one to beg funds from when it follows Greece into insolvency.  When Greece goes back to the Drachma will Spain go back to the Peseta?

7. Judi Burton profile image61
    Judi Burtonposted 12 years ago

When I think of nuclear power plants and what happened in Japan I turn to a bottle of wine and try to forget it. It's just to hard to cope with. We are on the brink of a much better energy source and it does not have anything to do with drilling it fracking or nuking anything. Stay tuned for the link to this awesome new technology.

8. Judi Burton profile image61

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/2 … 55499.html

Check out this awesome link about solar energy without solar cells. This is the future right here folks. My windows will charge my house! As soon as a patent is out I'm investing!

9. Druid Dude profile image61
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

Solar cells create pollution on the production side. We are really taking the wrong approach, but there isn't enough time left to worry about it. The storm is on the horizon, and its a monster. Off the coast here, just a few miles, is the Wave Energy project. It should also die a horrible death. I built a prototype, but, Conoco/Phillips doesn't think it works. It does, but I don't know enough how to perfect it. Back to that storm. Stock up on firewood.

10. Judi Burton profile image61

Did you read the link? It said solar power without solar cells! The sine will be able to generate power through simple glass! Revolutionary technology is coming. Just watch.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)