Will "Old Mesopotamia" ever make it into the 21st century?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (28 posts)
  1. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

Several thousand yrs of history and it is still wallowing in primeval hate, fear, abject squalor and an abyss of religious bigotry.
    Will the "middle east" ever evolve into a society that can come together in concert for it's own survival and the good of all humanity???
    Or will it remain as it is and has been and become an even greater detriment to human progress?
    Qwark

2. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

I'll be darned!
    Not one reply.
    Why is that?
    I know there have to be those who know the history of "Old Mesopotamia."
    Or am I taking too much for granted?
    Qwark

3. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

Oh Qwark! Here comes Klara to save the day once again! It won't stay the same forever. Nothing does. That's my response. smile

1. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What'd'ya think Klara? Another couple thousand yrs?
      Or maybe just build a fence around them, arm them and stand back?
      Qwark

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Things are about to change... I mean... we've been waiting for more than 2000 years! How much longer could it take?!

1. qwark profile image60

Hi Klara:

What makes you think things are about to change?

Do you see the "changes" you see coming as "good" ones?

Changes that could be a step upward to becoming more civilized, less pugnacious and willing to accept those who believe differently than they, as brother human beings?

Or are the changes you see, THEM, becoming more beligerant, suspicious and desirous of forcing all of humanity to live and think like they?

Qwark   smile:

1. profile image0

I foresee self-destruction. The way things are going they'll end up blowing themselves to pieces. It's all very sad, but that's the way I see it.

1. qwark profile image60

Like I said Klara, build a wall around 'em, supply 'em with weapons and let 'em take themselves out!
              Qwark

1. profile image0

No need for wall. It's going to happen and it won't be pretty.

4. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

You know what might be nice? If the revolution that has just happened in Egypt starts a domino effect that has the ultimate outcome of bringing the middle east region into a modern region of political bi-partisonship instead of what they got now, dictatorships that do not allow un-licenced insanity to be spread, only the licensed brand of insanity.

I think the real question is, will any of us finally get over the bi-partisan nature that seems so inherent and actually work together for humanity. I mean, really, even america seems more then happy to bicker about the issues then actually work on improving them. The biggest difference is that in the middle east opposing political parties would not both be spreading half truths and out right lies to confuse the people as only the party in power is allowed to influence the public and anyone going against them is likely to find themselves silenced. Here both parties are free to distort, invent and otherwise muddy the waters beyond belief, to the effect of ensuring that the other guys can't take any credit for anything good, cause nothing good is allowed to happen.

1. qwark profile image60

Kirsten:
      What i see when I read your reply is that we are "nuts!"
      I agree with ya!
      Qwark

1. kirstenblog profile image77
        kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I definitely see us wearing a top hat, a monocle and using a cane while standing in a jaunty, fun pose. I don't know why tongue

1. qwark profile image60

I see all mankind as infants crowded in a play pen with lots of toys and much too infantile and ignorant to consider the concept of "share."
          Absolute chaos!
          Qwark

1. kirstenblog profile image77
            kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You sure we aren't nuts?
            http://citynoise.org/upload/10978.jpg

5. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

Incredibly, the techological tools, such as the Internet and Iphones  could make the biggest difference we have ever seen.  Depends on how ingrained the religious beliefs are in the young people and if their elders are able to sustain it.

1. qwark profile image60

Logic:
      Those things certainly have the potential, BUT, Approx 95% of the earths population of humans live from hand to mouth!
      They are uneducated, primitive and very easily led by the few who control world economics i.e. the powerful, controlling corporations.
      Islam, the catholic church, judaism and the 50k+ protestant sects (cults) influence their kids from birth to thinking and acting as regressive primitives and they, constitute better than 50% of the human population of 6.7 billion people.
      Oil is the "POWER!"
      "IF" (and the possibility doesn't exist) the world could relieve itself of the "dominion" of "big oil," those nations existing in "Old Mesopotamia" would go bankrupt and would beg the "progressive" nations for help instead of conspiring to overrun them and installing their primitive,regressive religious beliefs.
      Human greed and quest for power and control is fed by man's "NEED" for a product which can be eliminated (OIL) and replaced with myriad other ways to produce energy.
      But, humanity is shackled and enslaved by the power of "OIL!"
      Qwark

1. profile image60
        logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually man is enslaved by his own desire for power.

1. qwark profile image60

Logic:

Of course that is true.

Oil is "inorganic." "It," surely, can't seek power and control.

I guess I presumed that ya'll would be able to read into my comment that "it" is the "choice" element of economic enslavement used by "power and control" seeking man.

I kinda thought that was obvious

Qwark

1. profile image60

Quark,
            It was obvious, I just believe we should be able to control our own emotions and actions. That is the bottom line.  We cannot be enslaved by anything if we truly do not want to be.  True, we do let ourselves be placed in that position because we are too weak to stand up and make the sacrifice needed to get out from under the control of others.

1. qwark profile image60

Logic:
              "It was obvious, I just believe we should be able to control our own emotions and actions."
              I agree, but since our arrival as modern man, we have been  social creatures guided by the strongest.
              You and I exist as the "weak." We, as a singular unit, have no power to control. We have no choice but to follow.
              If we rise in numbers we become a "power" for change.
              That happens rarely because the weak are needy and frightened.
              It will only happen if the "people" organize and challenge the "control" with the power of numbers.
              WE are seeing that in the middle east today.
              Qwark

1. profile image60

Ah, but we do have a choice, there may not be good choices, but we always have a choice.  We can only control what we do.  Just as those in the mideast have finally reached the same point Popeye reaches, when he says, "that's all I can stands and I can't stands no more!"  Then he reaches for his spinach.  In the mideast their spinach is their desire to overthrow the yoke of their oppressors.

1. qwark profile image60

Logic:
                  Lol...Popeye was my favorite.
                  Of course we have choices.
                  But why choose a choice that is impossible to realize?
                  Choices can only be realized, when it comes to gov'ts, that are challenged by a "MASS" of like thinkers.
                  They can only win if they have the power of a "can-of-spinach" to depend on.
                  Qwark

1. profile image60

Agreed!

2. xxtonybxx profile image77
        xxtonybxxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The problem here dude is not that we need oil, but that we need it to maintain our current stranglehold on the world economy. Oil is traded in dollars, which means the american economy benefits constantly from oil trade, and by proxy, so does the british, then the western world in general. The British economy was saved by the discovery of north sea oil in the late 70's. Also your figures are slightly out. 95% of the world do not live hand to mouth, it's more like 75%, admittedly still a huge number. But the point is they do this exactly because we seek to maintain our current grip on the world economy, because we, and our governments, are afraid of what might happen if we didn't.

6. AnnCee profile image67
    AnnCeeposted 13 years ago

The youth in Egypt seem rather modern in their outlook.   Of course their idealism and tech gadgets will not win the day.  Muscle and money will win the day.

One amazing example of the Muslim country coming from the past into the present was Turkey under Attaturk, Father of Turkey, Mustafa Kemal.

He is fascinating to read about.  A handsome charismatic man who really did do the right thing for his people.  Turks are proud of him for many reasons, but the one that amused me was they are proud because he dated Zsa Zsa Gabor.

This college site gives a nice quick introduction to Attaturk.

http://socialscience.tjc.edu/mkho/fulbr … taturk.htm

http://socialscience.tjc.edu/mkho/fulbright/1998/PatrickHotle/pic4.jpg

Would be nice if Egypt had an Attaturk.

7. TMMason profile image59
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

The Middle East is about to change alright. Iran will have nukes any time now and then change is enevitable.

They could very easily become the worlds largest exporter of glass.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Or they could just end up being no longer in existence too. lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)