Obama Jobs Plan

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)
  1. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 12 years ago

President Barack Obama has laid out a $447 billion jobs package of tax cuts and government spending yesterday that will be critical to his re-election chances but he faces an uphill fight with Republicans.

With his poll numbers at new lows amid voter frustration with 9.1 per cent unemployment, Mr Obama last night said in a high-stakes address to Congress the United States was facing a "national crisis" and called for urgent action on sweeping proposals to revive the stalled economy and avert another recession.

"Those of us here tonight can't solve all of our nation's woes," Mr Obama, speaking in a solemn tone, said in a televised prime-time speech.

"But we can help. We can make a difference. There are steps we can take right now to improve people's lives."

Taking aim at Republicans who have consistently opposed his initiatives, Mr Obama said it was time to "stop the political circus and actually do something to help the economy."

Mr Obama, who pushed through an $800 billion economic stimulus package in 2009, said his jobs plan would cut taxes for workers and businesses and put more construction workers and teachers on the job through infrastructure projects.

"It will provide a tax break for companies who hire new workers and it will cut payroll taxes in half for every working American and every small business," he said.

Mr Obama said he would propose a deficit-reduction plan on September 19th that will cover the cost of his jobs bill and include "modest adjustments" to Medicare and Medicaid and more taxes for the rich and corporations.

"A week from Monday, I'll be releasing a more ambitious deficit plan - a plan that will not only cover the cost of this jobs bill, but stabilize our debt in the long run," he said yesterday to Congress in his speech on job creation.

Mr Obama said the plan would feature additional spending cuts and make "modest adjustments" to the government's Medicare and Medicaid health insurance programs for the elderly and disabled and for the poor.

"In addition to the trillion dollars of spending cuts I've already signed into law, it's a balanced plan that would reduce the deficit by making additional spending cuts; by making modest adjustments to health care programs like Medicare and Medicaid; and by reforming our tax code in a way that asks the wealthiest Americans and biggest corporations to pay their fair share," he said.

He indicated that the spending cuts would not happen quickly.

"The spending cuts wouldn't happen so abruptly that they'd be a drag on our economy, or prevent us from helping small business and middle-class families get back on their feet right away," Mr Obama said.

2. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 12 years ago

Same speech from 2009.  That worked out real well.  Obama's all ad no product.  Pass the bill now, we'll figure it out later.  Nope.  Sorry.  why should anyone with any intelligence believe this man?  Nothing he has promised from day one has come about.

3. EpowerGuy profile image60
    EpowerGuyposted 12 years ago

Then why are you all so worried about him? Obviously, because your comment isn't true. You fear what he does and don't know how to live with change. Better to derail the entire train for the fun of it. He really needs to go much further if for no other purpose than to annoy even more people of your ilk.

1. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 12 years agoin reply to this

What universe possesses the math in which increased spending leads to savings.  And, you bet I fear this guy.  We've given him over a trillion and have nothing to show for it except a larger federal government.  He's a liar, an incompetent and a fraud.  Before you say it, I'm not a racist just because I think the man is trashing the country and I don't agree with him nor am I a son of a bitch, a barbarian or the enemy.  I don't want to see blacks hanging from trees either.  He has us in a lifeboat that's sinking and he's demanding we make the hole bigger in order to save ourselves.  All politics aside, I'm not stupid.  I've run four companies that were all successful and I can state from experience, this guys has no clue.

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh he has a clue alright.  He knows how to incite class warfare by taxing the rich and by telling old and/or disabled folks they're gonna have to take income cuts.

He does it deliberately.
        And bullies Congress into being scared of mentioning ways to cut down on the size of government.

Brilliant man.  Like a snake.

2. Repairguy47 profile image60
      Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

What change has he brought? Bigger government? Higher deficits? We could have had that from any other incompetent. Scared of Obama? I'm scared that so many voted for him without ever really knowing what kind of fool he really was.

4. EpowerGuy profile image60
    EpowerGuyposted 12 years ago

The biggest change has been the slowing of destruction and the awakening of the truth of the failures of Cheney/Bush & Companies. I believe that, given a bit of time, he would overcome many of these and put in place true, traditional solutions. My preference would be that he try more innovative, more technologically advanced and participatory solutions that would make it likely that regressivists who always fall backwards in their thinking could never put us through the ugliness of uninformed capitalism again, but then again I'm a dreamer. He's not a fool and you have no reason other than personal bias for saying that; objective realities at all levels show that he is far less foolish than all who have preached conservative presumptions that have generated nothing good in my 53 years (it's my birthday today! thank you) other than selfish profits for too few who do too little and take too much credit for their luck.

1. Repairguy47 profile image60

Yahoo yesterday had a truth in debates article, in it they were comparing Rommney to Obama. Rommney said that he had lowered unemployment approximately 3% points and Obama would love to be able to say that. Yahoo countered with Rommney had actually lowered the unemployment rate by 1.5 or 2 % points. They continued by saying that Obama inherited an unemployment rate of 7.8% so Romney's measly 1.5 or 2% wasn't anything to brag about. They failed to mention that Obama currently presides over an unemployment rate of 9.3%. It has gotten worse not better, no disaster was headed off. In fact the true unemployment rate is over 10% and getting worse. We are not buying the hope and change lie anymore.

1. Moderndayslave profile image58
        Moderndayslaveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

All of the people your corporations laid off ran out of their 99 weeks so now they cant buy anything. B of A is bulldozing their house. You can only get food with a Snap card. Where do you think this economy will go?

I don't have a corporation. I don't know what a snap card is. And the economy is going in the tank as long as liberals are seen to be controlling things.

You should read up more before posting here then.

Why? Because I don't know what a snap card is? Do you know what a stratafarius skyhook is?

22 seconds came up with this.
                Your search - "stratafarius skyhook" - did not match any documents.

5. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 12 years ago

Obama may save America, but not in the Rugby World Cup, Rugby World Cup: Ireland: Full-time: And there you have it. Ireland fails to hit the ground running in this World Cup and plod their way through an uninspiring contest. The performance certainly leaves Kidney and his management team with more questions than answers. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)