Help! I keep getting a virus alert pop up and I don't know what to do!

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Nell Rose profile image89
    Nell Roseposted 13 years ago

Can someone that knows about computers please help me before i go completely insane and throw the pc out of the window! for some stupid pathetic greedy reason, I keep getting a pop up that says windows security alert come up on my computer when I turn it on, and then it sends my computer mad! google opens up about 10 times and the most annoying thing about it is that there is a box that comes up in the middle of the screen that won't go away however hard I try. eventually it said buy this virus scanner for 49 dollars!!! so it is trying to make me buy one, by making out I got a virus!! or is it a virus in itself? I have no idea how to stop this, can anybody help me get my pc back before i go grey and turn into a jibbering wreck? thanks I only just managed to get on here, two hours after tackling the stupid thing! HELP

1. profile image50
      SrChasJCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You can try and run Malwarebytes, but may be a problem if too bad off. I have a quick list to keeping your computer virus free (for free), if you ever do get it off. Enjoy: http://www.charlescorcoran.com/post/201 … -free.aspx

2. jondav profile image70
    jondavposted 13 years ago

you have a virus - If you have a virus checker use it but don't open internet explorer. It's not actually a windows programme, but the virus looks like one and tries to get you to buy some rubbish software to fix it.

Use spybot or similar to get rid of it.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep - I had one about a year ago, insisting that I buy their spyware product.  Try as I might I couldn't get rid of it, but finally found a free program that did the job.  If you can figure out the name (maybe look at what's running?) google for that - that's how I found my shareware.  Good luck!

3. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

I agree with Jondav. Some malicious programs make it difficult for anti-virus/anti-spyware programs to run on your computer and get rid of the malware, so there are situations where the only solution is to wipe out everything and do a clean install of the OS. Whatever you do, be prepared to spend some time on this to be sure you have a clean and safe computer.

4. jondav profile image70

I believe you have the win32 virus - superantivirus is free and will remove it easily. I'd suggest that if you can now get onto the internet quickly download and run it.

5. jondav profile image70
  6. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

If you know its name, and it'll be on the 'alert box' that appears, just do a search on your hard drive for it and rename it. That renders it harmless.

Not, at least, for the one I had.  It turned out it was installed in 1/2 a dozen different places and would always just re-install everywhere I took it off or renamed it.

I never did find ALL the places it was installed - it took dedicated software.  What Jondav says sounds right, though that's not the identical one that I had

7. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

My ex-husband had one onhis computer a ouple of years back. It looked like an AVG alert; in fact he thought it was AVG and clicked through it, but that only took him to a site asking for his credit card details to pay for it. That was naughty. I searched for it, found it (there was more than one entry), renamed it and it died a death.
    The I updated his AV and ran it. Sorted it all out anyway smile

8. jondav profile image70

Thats cos it installs itself in 'hidden' files. They are a bugger to remove manually.

To be honest i had a similar virus not long ago and got rid of it manually, but i stumbled across superantivirus and used it to remove a similar nasty from the mother in laws laptop without problem.

Yeah, they can be ugly to remove manually.  I'm not very computer literate, but I had instructions from on line.  Changed the registry, used command prompt for disk drive work, spent a month of time and got nowhere until I got the software.  Just couldn't find it all and all my work was promptly undone every time.

9. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

These viruses will hide themselves in more than just folders, they will dig depe in to your registry, add themselves in to the code of normal applications and more.

I would definately get a legitimate antivirus scanner, and not do any onlien banking or online pruchases until the virus is gone.

Also try lavasofts adaware.

10. Nell Rose profile image89

Hi, guys, thanks for the answers, I am still trying desperately as nothing seems to be working, so i will go have another go, wish me luck and thanks

Nell Roseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi, I did it!!! I couldn't get the virus scans to work on any of the free ones because the virus kept stopping me, so out of desperation, I found a site to help me just saying 'i have a computer virus' and I found Bleepingcomputer.com and there was a forum where someone had asked about it, and underneath the person that answered, he had put some links to click on, and he also said make sure you do it a couple of times because the virus will try and trick you by saying it won't work, so I did it, and it went in about five seconds! yeah! so if you get this trouble, go to Bleepingcomputer.com! thanks again

Hey, that's great to hear, and I bet I bookmark that site - thanks!

11. Nell Rose profile image89

HI, it didn't work! I have a virus going mad on my computer and I have no idea how to stop it! I thought it had worked but I just came on here, and it didn't work, all the virus has done is just hitting my google bar etc. I have no idea what to do, so as I said you can't download a spyware or virus scanner it won't let me! HELP1

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Please see my first post above, that was what I was trying to warn about. Part of the problem is that some malware downloads other types of malware, suddenly you have several things running on your computer all at once.

Hi, thanks again, I know it sounds stupid but I know I need to get it back to 'factory settings' which I have done before a few months ago, the trouble is, It won't let me do it, unless I have just forgotten what to do, any ideas? sorry for sounding dumb! thanks

1. profile image0

Don't worry, I want to help. If you have a recovery disk, you can back up your important data. Then afterwards, you can reinstall the operating system by following the instructions on the recovery disk / manual that came with your computer. This will create an OS that was exactly as when you purchased the computer.

Afterwards, you must reinstall programs. And you will need to carefully scan your data for infected files before using any of your files again.

Of course, there are companies like the Geek Squad that may be able to assist. They may end up doing the same thing, though.

Hi, thanks I will give it another try, thanks for your help, wish me luck! thanks

1. profile image0

Best of luck to you!

12. Nell Rose profile image89

Hi, just come back to say thanks for all the help, I tried everything and it was a nightmare! eventually I found wikipedia spyware and I downloaded and paid for spyhunter 4. it is now working at last. but it was pure luck I found it. thanks again for all your help.

1. profile image0
      jtexasposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Next time try malware bites its a free program and seems to clean up the nastys that ask for you to buy software .

13. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

Just got my computer out of the shop this afternoon.  $70 at the shop fixed mine.  We had a nasty virus this go around.  We've been able to kick it before, but not this time.  I had to get professional help.

14. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

I had this virus, it was horrid, I had to reinstall windows because it kept burrowing, luckily after I reinstalled a fresh copy my dad gave me norton 360

15. climberjames profile image57
    climberjamesposted 13 years ago

I was in a similar situation until I installed and ran 'Spybot Search and Destroy', Google it, it's free smile

16. xboxps3wow profile image40
    xboxps3wowposted 13 years ago

malwarebytes... <------ best free tool to get rid of all that nasty stuff.

17. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Snapfiles.com has all the best virus killers in their freeware section. smile

18. birellar profile image59
    birellarposted 13 years ago

Virus comes via internet downloading software, so be very careful about it because it can corrupt your system and you can get loss your important data. You just need to install anti virus which can prevent you from it. like symantac best one for me.

19. Golf Swing King profile image54
    Golf Swing Kingposted 13 years ago

Boot into safe mode, install malwarebytes (malwarebytes.org) and run that and remove anything it finds.

20. Infotech1 profile image60
    Infotech1posted 13 years ago

http://hubpages.com/u/3867846.jpg Hey Nell Rose, I read your post regarding the problems you're having with a computer virus. I've been there and I've had to learn to resolve the problem. It inspired me to create a site that would help others who need software, information or an application that can keep their computer healthy. Even if you just want to learn more about what programs do what to protect your system, it's definitely worth a look. I also update new products all of the time so there's always something new to discover. Copy and paste in your browser: dotmatrixcomputerrepair ,
    Thanks and enjoy the day. smile
    Infotech1

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)