Malicious Code

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (21 posts)
  1. DIYweddingplanner profile image76
    DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years ago

Obviously, it doesn't pay to brag in the forums!

Right after my bragfest this morning, a few of my hubs got hit with malicious link skull warnings on them.  Is there a quick way to check each link or do I need to delete them all and start over?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Have you "edited" the hub?  I've never had this happen, but would hope that it is like the broken link - the offending link is highlighted when you go to the hub (or edit it - I forget which).

2. DIYweddingplanner profile image76

I did go into "edit" and nothing is highlighted, so can't tell where they are.  Instead of just putting the skull on your hub, it woukld be nice if the link got highlighted just like the broken links, as you say Wilderness.  That way I wouldn't have to guess. smile

Dumb question I suspect, but like I say, I've never seen that problem.  Is the skull for outgoing or incoming links?  Is there a link coming that could carry a virus or something?  And if so, what could you ever do about it?

1. Pcunix profile image90
          Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It would have to be outgoing.. 

If I ever saw this, the first thing I'd do is remove all links to see if it is some HP glitch. 

Well, no, actually I'd do a "View source" first and see if something got snuck in that I didn't write.

Which brings me to passwords.. I see too many people who use truly dumb passwords.  Your password should be tough. It should not contain any real words, it should have random letters, numbers and punctuation.   "snooky123" doesn't cut it.

1. barryrutherford profile image74
            barryrutherfordposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good point I got hit with an attack a couple of years back I changed my password from a simple six word password to a nine alphanumeric one

3. DIYweddingplanner profile image76

This is the first time I've ever seen it.  But the thing is, pictures sources count as links, as well, so I would have to go through and delete pictures as well as all the links.  I removed all the links at the end of one of my articles and the skull is still there.  It's not on all my articles, only a handful, but showed up shortly after I posted on the forums this morning.

4. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 12 years ago

The skull icon means that a site you are linking to has malicious code.  If you use Firefox as your browser and go visit every link on the marked Hub, Forefox will show you a warning and try to stop you from visiting the potentially dangerous site.  If you then just delete that link from your Hub, the warning will go away.

5. DIYweddingplanner profile image76

Wow, going to try that right now. Thanks, Relache!

6. DIYweddingplanner profile image76

OK, I looked at the handful of hubs that had the malicious code warning with Firefox and found NOTHING!  Anyone got any other suggestions before these hubs get unpublished or do I need to try to contact HP?

7. relache profile image73

If you found nothing, I'd ask admin what is triggering the alert.  After all, it's their filter...

Is it possible that these malicious sites were infected and have cleaned up?  It happened here, after all, a few months ago...

Maybe re-run the violation checker?  They might go away.

8. DIYweddingplanner profile image76

I sent a message to HP staff.  If I figure it out, I'll let you guys know.smile

9. DIYweddingplanner profile image76

Just checked...all the little red skulls are gone!  What???!!! Happy to see the little boogers go, but don't know how they got there in the first place.

You know, every time I hit the "hub violations" button I see that it was checked only a few minutes to a few hours ago.

I would lay odds that one or more of the sites you link to were infected with something, cleaned it up and the bots here ran the violations check again.  Clean sites now and voila! - no violations

10. DIYweddingplanner profile image76

You could be right, Wilderness. It was just scary seeing all those little skulls on a bunch of my hubs. I generally try to stay on the right side of the law! smile

I'll bet!  That really would be a little unnerving to see.  Glad it's taken care of, though.

11. Stacie L profile image87
      Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

well I've never had a red skull appear before...that would be a scary thing to see...yikes

1. DIYweddingplanner profile image76
        DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The frustrating part is not knowing what link is the culprit. If they can highlight a broken link, why can't they highlight one with malicious code?

12. timburton287 profile image59
      timburton287posted 12 years ago

When I paste in the text capsules, many words and phrases have been underlined so the whole text looks awful. And there is a warning from Hub also. The warning says my post may relates to some kinds of topic but in fact, it doesn't. What goes wrong?

13. relache profile image73

I've thought of one more thing that it could be...  Do those hubs have RSS feeds on them that pick up related topics?  I've had instances where my Hub listed a broken link and yet when I went to the link, the URL indicated as broken couldn't be found anywhere, and it turned out to be a link that had been on the hub in the RSS feed but had then been replaced by a new link when the feed refreshed.

I'm thinking this same type of thing could have occurred with a link to a site that had malicious code.  The link could have refreshed and thus been gone from the Hub, but the warning would remain until the filter ran again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)