Am I getting this right?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)
  1. dfuntanar profile image60
    dfuntanarposted 12 years ago

So I'm about 2 weeks in as far as signing up for HubPages (yay?!), AND deciding to try online writing, both as a hobby and hopefully a way to earn. I have read different hubs about writing here and anywhere else, and I most probably need to read more, I have also read through different success and failure stories of some hubbers.

Now, what I need is some insight if what I am planning to do for the next few months is right on track or not.

Finding my niche
    It has been so long since I have written stuff, and quite honestly, I do not really know what I want to write about, yet.  That is why I think ... that first and foremost, before I entertain issues about how to gain traffic and earn through what I write, I will need to decide what type/s of hubs I can be good at, or be comfortable writing about.  I have set myself about 2 or 3 months to find my niche, while constantly writing about random stuff. Is this a good idea?

And the rest..
    Learning how to properly use keywords, tags, and links. > to follow
    When the time comes that I do find a niche, I'll need to know how to drive readers to my work.  I have already read about some tools that I will need to be familiar with, also read that I need to be involved in communities outside of HubPages that cater to my selected niche. Although I would not be surprised if there are other ways to do so, since I haven't really thought about this part yet.

Honestly, I still have no clear idea .. that is why I need some feedback, if what I have set myself to do is on the right track or not. And if you think there are some more pointers I need to consider, please let me know also smile Thanks in advance for your insights to a novice with no sense of direction tongue

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 12 years ago

That sounds like a good plan to me.  I write about a variety of topics - and they tend to be centered around my many interests - personal finance, genealogy, and quilting - but I write about other things too as I think of them. 

Staying within certain niches helps so that you can link them to each other.

3. maxravi profile image44
    maxraviposted 12 years ago

I would also suggest before writing about a niche,check how many hubs already available on that.. this will save you from unnecessary hard work.

4. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I would say carry on with what you are doing now.

Write on a wide variety of topics that interest you, and when you see one of them gaining a lot of search engine traffic, look closely at that hub to learn what brought the traffic, and then write more hubs around it.

Some people seem to think it is  better for a subdomain to only write on one topic, but I have not seen evidence of that being so.

What I do know is that if you write a moderately successful hub, then you can write a whole series of hubs around that topic and link them all together with great success.

It does not seem to matter if your other hubs are on different topics altogether.

1. lobobrandon profile image89
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Izzy just one question - I get some traffic to my tomato hubs and just some of them come from Google and the rest from HP is it possible that the HP visitors are actually google viewers clicking through the inter linking?
      I guess its so but I was just wondering big_smile

1. lobobrandon profile image89
        lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

BTW Izzy aren't you sleep yet big_smile I guess it's almost 7am right? It's just afternoon here smile

2. IzzyM profile image85
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes it is quite possible that your hub is linked to a hub in subdomain you see the traffic coming from, which still makes it theoretically search traffic.

For example, I have one quotes hub that normally does well at Christmas.

So does a blatant plagiariser whose hubberscore has never risen above 11.

His subdomain wasn't hit like mine, but my hub is now seeing a lot of traffic via his hub, though nowhere as much as I could expect if my hubs was high in Google search like it was last year.

And it is almost 8am now. No worries, it's Sunday.

5. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years ago

just go for what feels right and do it, go for it big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)