What not to do when your shopping

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Uneducated opinio profile image60
    Uneducated opinioposted 12 years ago

Try and refrain from using a credit card for any purchases that are not a necessity. Things want should he paid in full to avoid getting stuck in ungodly amounts of debts. I learned this lesson a little late but I did learn it ha. Try to be smart with your money. Also try to look for coupons online to knock a few bucks off of your purchase.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I use my three credit cards for just about every purchase I make and have never once been in "ungodly" debt. I have, in contrast, used the cards to spread payment for very large purchases on many occasions.

It is far easier to use cards than to carry around (and maybe lose or get robbed) heaps of cash or try to remember how much is available in my current account.

It is also extremely useful to use credit cards given that I only withdraw money from my company account into my personal account 3-4 times a year. This is so that the tax man will remain convinced that I am paying myself dividends rather than a taxable salary. It does mean that my personal current account can sink to very low so at times I only make a minimum repayment on the cards. Nevertheless, my tax savings are several times greater than any interest I pay. 

As anything else, credit cards are fine if used responsibly.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I never thought of this. If I ever have money again, I will consider this. smile

2. phillippeengel profile image82
      phillippeengelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a good advice for sure. But some people don't see scrimping as an alternative to have more savings; instead they want to earn more income in order to pay their credit card debts.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Online hackers aside, how about not using any form of electronic payment at all when buying gas or in any brick and mortar store? More likely than not there is a hacker sitting in the parking lot recording your transaction. And then you get to spend the next 6 months cleaning up the mess.

Happy Monday! First cup of late coffee in progress. big_smile

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was generally kidding about this. It still happens, but due to increased security measures, not as much as it used to. Leastwise, I hope so.

3. loveorlost profile image40
    loveorlostposted 12 years ago

Depends on what you buy and from where. if you buy online then chose right  trust website. If you buy from shop then look for quality.

4. Uneducated opinio profile image60
    Uneducated opinioposted 12 years ago

All I am saying is if you have the money to make a purchase your better off rather then putting it on the card. I never carry cash, I only carry around a debit card. I just dont want other to make the mistake I did and just pile every purchase onto their credit card.

I know that having a credit card is helpful and very convenient but of we did not have to rely on them we would probably be better off in the sense that we know what we are buying and how much we have I'm the account.

I am by no means telling anyone not to use a credit card. Everyone is free to do what they want. I am just offering what I thought was a helpful suggestion

5. biancaalice profile image58
    biancaaliceposted 12 years ago

Forget to bring your list of what to buy. You will then over buy, under buy or just overall pay too much because you forgot exactly what you're getting. When you have a plan you can excute it well, especially if you have coupons smile

6. brandrocker profile image60
    brandrockerposted 12 years ago

Here is my list:

Do not get trapped by promotional offers.
    Do not buy produts because there is an offer.
    Do not shop, if your voucher organiser is not with you.
    Do not enter the store without a list.
    Do not forget the credit card installments you have to pay monthly.
    Do not forget each cent counts.

That's all from me!

7. Ciel Clark profile image72
    Ciel Clarkposted 12 years ago

When you are shopping, don't forget to ask for a cash discount.  5%
    The store will not volunteer this discount!  You need to ask. 

I think a credit card is a great way to track spending, as long as you pay it off each month.  I use the card for all the regular stuff, but if I want to get something frivolous and expensive, I take a certain amount of cash out of the bank each month until I have enough.  I've always paid off my card in total each month (except that year I was living in Taiwan and kept getting my bills two weeks late...)

Someone probably already wrote this, but don't go grocery shopping when you're hungry!  (And try to avoid those middle aisles as much as possible).

1. Jill Larson profile image57
      Jill Larsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have never heard of a 5% cash discount before.  What kinds of stores can you do this at?

8. talfonso profile image83
    talfonsoposted 12 years ago

I almost always never use a credit card to make purchases. I use a few (like $20-$30) of the earnings from my online writing sites to buy something. My relative almost always uses credit, but she pays her bills on time. It's always about being careful with money.

9. DowntroddenInDC profile image85
    DowntroddenInDCposted 12 years ago

I use my credit card for everything. I pay off the balance each month. I do this because I get at least 1% cash back on all purchases (with some purchases going up to 3%, with an additionally .1 - .3% bonus for depositing into a Bank Of America Account).

It's all about discipline. I know what I need, I know what I can afford. I pay myself first by having automatic deposits into savings and retirement accounts. What's left over I need to make go as far as possible. So when I make a purchase with my credit card, I transfer the cash out of my checking account and into my savings account. When the bill comes, I've accrued a few extra pennies of interest in my savings account, got at least 1% cash back and a .1% bonus, and I pay the bill in full a few days before the due date.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)