How can a person choose between two great passions?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (15 posts)
  1. FaithDream profile image78
    FaithDreamposted 12 years ago

Can a person have two great passions? How can they choose which one to use? I love writing. I write a lot and I'm starting to make money with it. However I love interior design and I've just been offered a full time job in the design field. I've been out of work almost 18 months, now I'll be heading back. I have mixed feelings about this. Maybe I'm just reluctant to change?

1. profile image59
      logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Which is the sure thing?
      Are you willing to gamble with the writing or go with what you have experience  and success with?
      Can you afford to gamble on the writing?
      Which are you most passionate about?

FaithDreamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would say the full time job is the sure thing for making a living however I'm passionate about them both. And when I'm not writing, something inside me aches. It's like food to my soul.

2. couturepopcafe profile image61
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You can do both. If you're working full time as a designer, you will eventually gain enough experience and knowledge to write about the field of interior design.

If you're talking about creative writing, you can do that anytime at all. You don't need to not do the other.

Thanks that's what I'm hoping but it will take a lot of my time. I've been in the design field for over 20 years so I have the experience but I don't write about design... Maybe I should?
        All my writing is creative, inspirational, and/or news pieces. I guess it's more of a change in my priorities now and a balance between them.

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
          couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Also, you probably find yourself incorporating your design 'life' into your fiction. What genre do you write in? Or like to write in?

I write about life's experiences through stories about people, faith, and finding their inspiration.  I don't necessarily write about interior design or the field of design yet I probably could. I find more passion in writing about people and relationships when I write. All of these discussions are great food for thought, I appreciate them.

3. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You can have both, I believe. If you need the job, I would take it. Being out of work for too long can cause feelings of reluctance and affect you mentally and physically. Most writers would rather write full time, but since you have a passion for both, I wouldn't hesitate to take the offer. Perhaps you can put your creative writing ability into your design work. And keep in mind, jobs don't last forever anymore. You can always write.

This is very insightful. Thanks. I never thought of the reluctance of it but I think that is it. I've enjoyed my freedom for the past year & I think the changes in my life is causing my hesitation.

I actually am very blessed to have this opportunity to get back into the field that I've missed. Writing and Designing has always been good to me and I like you said rebekahELLE, I can always write.

4. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

try combining the two

write about interior design

just a thought big_smile

5. Xenonlit profile image61
      Xenonlitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Who told you that you cannot have multiple passions? That's nonsense.

You may have to hold off on one for a time, while you focus on the other, but that's not a reason to give up on either.

2. profile image51
    KailynLawposted 12 years ago

Is the interior design job contingent on being full time?  Could you work maybe 4 days a week designing and supplement your income with the writing?

3. That Grrl profile image72
    That Grrlposted 12 years ago

Take the job and be glad to have it, doing one of the things you love. Once you get settled into the job approach your local newspaper and offer to write a weekly/ bi-weekly column about interior design. You write it for free but you get a link to yourself as a way of picking up more clients. It's a trade off rather than a paying job. But, in this way you get to work in interior design and write a newspaper column too.

4. Field-Of-Flowers profile image81
    Field-Of-Flowersposted 12 years ago

Hi FaithDream I just noticed this a few minutes ago and thought I would add a comment. Congrats on getting a job offer in the field I know you are so good at doing. I also know how much you love writing and reading. What does your other half think of it? Just wondering.  If you aren't sure what it is you should do, I just want to encourage you to seek the Lord and ask Him what it is He wants you to do. Please let me know what transpires. I'll be praying for you. Much love from one cousin to another!

Hey thanks Field of Flowers. I certainly am praying over this. I just thought God was leading me in a different direction. No complaints, just a little mixed feelings about it all.
      Yes I love writing. It's like food for my soul!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)