How do you deal with death?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (22 posts)
  1. GoldenBird profile image57
    GoldenBirdposted 12 years ago

1. alisha4u profile image39
      alisha4uposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You Can't ........no way to deal with it..

2. trish1048 profile image67
      trish1048posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Goldenbird, everyone deals with death differently.  There is no right or wrong way to do it, nor any book to tell you how to do it.  There are books, however, that discuss the stages one goes through after a death.

I have a couple of hubs about family I lost.  Perhaps what I say there might be helpful to you.

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

Once I die I'll let you know.

1. GoldenBird profile image57
      GoldenBirdposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Will you exist then?!

2. GmaGoldie profile image81
      GmaGoldieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In any form, knowing WryLilt, she will still be writing! You go girl!

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

smile Of course.

3. lorlie6 profile image74
      lorlie6posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wry, you SLAY me!
      lol
      Laurel

3. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

"How do you deal with death?" (of another)

Not very well. In fact, it causes you to permanently die a little inside. You eventually, mostly recover. But a piece of you remains dead forever and you never, ever forget...

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Perfect answer.smile

4. Nights Dream profile image61
    Nights Dreamposted 12 years ago

The last time death seriously affected me: first thing, pulled back from the world. Second, dove into work. Third, lived so fast I could not feel a thing. Pretty much did everything I could to avoid feeling anything.

5. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

I'm not very good with the death of a person, or a relationship, or idea,for that matter.
    Any ending is difficult to deal with if you had any stake in it.

1. GmaGoldie profile image81
      GmaGoldieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am with you Stacie. I cannot even handle bad endings, I have to rewrite the ending in my head.

6. Brittany Long profile image60
    Brittany Longposted 12 years ago

I haven't had a death of someone close to me until this December(my grandmother). She was in hospice and the first night she was there I ended up doing what usually helps me deal: write. I ended up writing a poem to just help me get those feelings out and not keep them bottled in.

I ended up going straight back to work after the funeral so I didn't really have time to process it until now. I don't think it ever really heals. There's always moments that sneak up on me and I get sad but push through. Because that's what you have to do.

7. Shanna11 profile image74
    Shanna11posted 12 years ago

First real death I ever dealt with-- I was hysterical. I cried all the time and I was listless and every now and again crushing realization would leave me doubled up.

The only time I didn't cry was when I was at work and had to be happy and pleasant to the customer. I wanted to talk about it a lot and cry even more, so a lot of my friends were uncomfortable about me. It was rough. I don't deal with extreme emotions well.

8. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 12 years ago

Denial and drinking work best.

1. lorlie6 profile image74

Of course they do, brainy Shades!  Hey, put down that danged beer!!!
      lol

9. carterchas profile image60
    carterchasposted 12 years ago

The way I deal with it depends on the circumstances and age of the person passing.
    When my grandma died (in 1981), she was 80 years old.  She had already expressed her readiness to go on.  She was nearly blind and couldn't live the independant life that defined her.
    When my Uncle David was murdered (September 1981), I was in a state of shock.  It wasn't just that he had been killed, but that it was deliberate.  My Uncle was beginning to really bloom as a man; and he was working at the time to improve himself.  Every time I think of him, I think of all the potential that was lost.
    In 2000, my sister died of a drug overdose.  She had been suicidal, and wanted to die.  She had been an addict for a long time.  Though it was sad, I always thought it would be worse.  I expected that one day they would find her in a ditch (or something like that). 
    A couple of years later I did cry about it, not because of my sister but because of a friend.  I learned that a friend of mine from gradeschool had died in 1990.  She was living the life she wanted to live, had a couple of small children (when she died) and was happy...She died in an one-car accident. 
    I cried because she who valued her life had it taken, and my sister just wanted to throw hers away.
    As for myself, I am about to turn 46 (in September), and I realize that I probably have more days behind me than ahead of me.  Maybe we should all have clocks saying how much time we have left.
    Then ,maybe, we will value how precious a gift life is.

10. Hui (蕙) profile image59
    Hui (蕙)posted 12 years ago

Some people claim that they are not afraid of death, and some others admit that they are. I cannot say how I feel about it for now, because it is still far from me. However, I do admit that I am afraid of aging, skin wrinkle, eye bags...

1. lorlie6 profile image74

Hui, aging really isn't so terribly bad, I am 55, have those strange, mother-like wrinkles and grey hairs, yet as I age, I've come to be quite fond of them!  Really! 
      There's a song I heard on television a few years ago that went something like this, "When I grow up, I want to be an old woman!"  That's exactly how I feel right now.
      I hope this helps you with your concerns, but you are so very young, you've nothing to worry about for now!

1. Hui (蕙) profile image59
        Hui (蕙)posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, lorlie. I really appreciate your words. But I feel I would not be afraid and regret when I were in your current age unless I could have what you have now, i.e. a happy family and content life.

11. lorlie6 profile image74
    lorlie6posted 12 years ago

Dealing with death is always an individual 'thing', Goldenbird.  How we cope varies from person to person.  Most aren't prepared to handle such a life-changing event, and the more the deceased meant to us, the harder it is to 'handle' their 'leave taking'.
    Two years ago I lost a beloved Uncle who was interred at the same cemetery my father was back in 1965.  This was one of the most horrific experiences of my life, for I was 'placed' almost on top of my papa's grave.  It was truly devastating for me.  He'd been cremated in a building I could actually see at my Uncle's funeral.  So, all in all, it wasn't a pleasant experience.
    If you are having to deal with this situation at the moment-or not-do read Elizabeth Kubler-Ross's book about the stages of grieving.  It will hopefully help you understand your reactions to loss like this.
    All the best,
    Laurel

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)