I feel like I'm starving to death! Is this normal?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)
  1. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 12 years ago

I started trying to diet 3 days ago. Low calorie and low carb. I use to eat 2 full meals (oversized I'm sure) plus a full pot of coffee loaded with sugar and milk each morning. I cut out my coffee and I am only drinking 0 calorie packs you add to water for lite flavor. I started eating 4 tiny meals a day(in comparison they're mini meals). This morning I had a small amount of juice 2 egg whites and 2 oz of lean ham. I have been awake 4 hours. I feel like my stomach is caving in! I know nothing about dieting. I'm only trying to tone up and get a little more healthy before summer and maybe lose 10 lbs. I am exercising but not overboard just a few pushups and 30-50 crunches. I have to run after 3 kids all day so I don't have time for a gym. When will I stop feeling empty? What am I doing wrong?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
      prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe you can eat little meals at a time, cracker and juice, cereal for breakfast. Whew those 3 kids are considered "exercise".

2. Bobski606 profile image83
      Bobski606posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Instead of cutting down on calories you could substitute your regular foods for lean protein, whole grains, fruits and veggies. You don't want to go below 1200 calories per day but keep a food diary to see what you're actually eating and just try and do a little better each day. If you starve yourself you'll end up falling off the wagon and bingeing on really bad food - it' tough going cold turkey so just fuel your body with the good food it needs and take it from there.

3. couturepopcafe profile image59
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Many people won't agree with this, but if you're new to dieting, it helps. Get yourself a book or go online and add up the calories you were eating in a typical day. Cut those calories by 500 but don't go below 1500 for an average height woman.

Start your morning food 30 minutes after you wake up. Difficult for some people. Get 30/40/30 protein/carb/fat. Make sure you have about 20G protein with every meal if you're eating 3x a day.

Cut out all your non-foods like sugar, pop, cake, white flour bread. Don't eat carbs alone. Your body needs protein. Drink only water after your morning tea or coffee. Don't drink a lot of caffeine because it curbs your appetite. Your body won't lose weight if it thinks it's not getting nutrition (food).

4. BlissfulWriter profile image72
      BlissfulWriterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The best way to loose weight is to cut out sugar and processed carbs. 
      Here is why refined carbs is bad...
      http://blissfulwriter.hubpages.com/hub/ … es-are-Bad

But you have to make up the calories by eating vegetables, meats, healthy fats.

For example, I eat a moderately low carb diet.  But I do not eat a low calories one.  Low carb is fine.  But not low calorie.  I cut out only the processed carbs (such as sugar, pasta, pastries).    And then I make it up by eating more fat and protein and vegetables.  Healthy fats include avocados and olives.   Meat are okay too.   I eat entire plates of vegetables spread across five meals a day so that I do not let my body experience the starving sensation.

It is not okay to feel like starving.  That the body's indication that it does not having enough calories that it need and that it is now starting the process of breaking down proteins (usually from the muscles first) and turning it into glucose for fueling the brain.

2. Disturbia profile image59
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

"I'm only trying to tone up and get a little more healthy before summer"  What you are doing doesn't sound very healthy to me. "I feel like my stomach is caving in!" Listen to your body, it's telling you something. 

Since you admit you know nothing about dieting you might want to do a little research before making such dramatic changes. There are a million diets on the market today, some make sense while others are complete garbage.  Low carb, low calorie is not for everyone.  As to what you are doing wrong, it's hard to say since you don't state exactly what you are eating. But based on the hollow feeling in your stomach, I'd say it's not enough of whatever it is.

Of course the best diet is no diet at all, but a healthy lifestyle, with good food choices and plenty of exercise.  You don't need to go to the gym to workout.  There are plenty of DVDs or exercise shows you can watch and workout with right at home.

If you really have your heart set on a "diet" I'd say check out Weight Watchers, or South Beach, or Atkins on line.  They have sensible plans and balanced pre-packaged meals .  You might also want to pickup a few low carb cookbooks where you can get daily meal plans and recipes.  Losing weight and getting fit should NOT be making you feel sick.  Oh yeah, and drink lots of water, it will help fill you up and keep you hydrated.

Good luck to you.

1. Turtlewoman profile image90
      Turtlewomanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Disturbia. Your body is telling you that it's in shock from the drastic changes that you are making. instead of cutting down on number of calories, eat a more well balanced meal. Make sure you have the protein, healthy carbs, and a small amount of good fats. Your new breakfast plan has some healthy components so far, but it's all protein. Add some healthy carbs to give your body the fuel that it needs to handle three kids! Also, foods that have nutrients will give you so much energy that you can play with your kids AND exercise afterwards...which burns calories and tones your body up. Dieting will always make you feel starved because your body is deprived of proper nutrients. Instead, do some research on some of the healthy fat-burning foods available. There are so many ways to go about it. Try doing some research first...
      Good luck to you!:-)

3. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 12 years ago

I would also suggest snacks between your meals smile fruits, veggies, grains.

4. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 12 years ago

Am I being unreasonable expecting to lose 10 lbs in a month? When I went to a calorie counting website it says I should only be eating 1250 calories a day. I also am having to eat food that no one else other than my baby will eat. The boys(including hubby) require(more like demand) large meals of things like Cube steak mash potatoes and mac n cheese. None of which are good for a diet. I cut out my coffee, all tea, and am only drinking 5 16oz bottles of water with flavor packets a day. I don't exactly have a weight problem according to all the websites I go to and I am not looking to be on a permenant diet since I'm not exactly overweight. I plan on just improving what I eat once I lose the weight I want to. Honestly, does this all seem unreasonable?

5. Express10 profile image84
    Express10posted 12 years ago

I don't think losing 10 lbs in a month is being unreasonable. It sounds like you should be adding in more fibrous fruits and veggies for instance in addition to your egg whites and ham. When you eat the whites of an egg only, you are throwing out the most nutritious and filling part of the egg. This is a personal choice but you can bulk up many meals by adding in beans or other fruits and veggies.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)