Stop voting down feature on answers

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years ago

I'm new here, but people seem to be using the voting down option excessively and inappropriately. I would like to see HubPages eliminate this option.

1. Sally's Trove profile image79
      Sally's Troveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'd like to add that there's no point in flagging a question because your answer to that question (or all answers to that question, for that matter) has been voted down. A vote on an answer only addresses the one who writes the answer, while flagging the question is a potential negative reflection on the one who writes the question.

I know it smarts to have an answer voted down, especially when you know you are responding with useful and valid information, but never take it personally. Some people live on negative energy and sometimes that energy plays itself out just this way.

Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Point well taken, Sally. I do believe the negative energy will come back around to the ones who initiate it. We who try to live on a higher plane should not be distracted by those who would love to pull us down to their sorry state.

1. Sally's Trove profile image79
          Sally's Troveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't agree with you more. To allow ourselves to be distracted in this way is to give up our own personal, positive power.

2. nightwork4 profile image60
      nightwork4posted 11 years agoin reply to this

i love the option myself. i use it often and i completely agree with having it. to me it's like a little freedom of choice and trust me, a lot of my answers get voted down.

Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why? That seems rather negative. From my perspective as a positive reinforcement animal trainer and professional educator I find it more polite as well as effective to usually ignore answers I do not like. The rules state that the reason to vote an answer down is because it does not contribute to the discussion, not because one has a need to put someone else down, show disapproval or attempt to invalidate someone's honest answer.

1. nightwork4 profile image60
          nightwork4posted 11 years agoin reply to this

i completely disagree. being positive is great but that's like being politically correct, it gets the person no where. i would rather have someone disagree with me then ignore what i'm saying or vote me up because it's the right thing to do.voting the answer down contributes more then voting up, it creates reason's to write hubs to justify your opinion.

2. maxravi profile image44
    maxraviposted 11 years ago

I don't think remove this option is appropriate.Even I faced this issue sometime, but don't worry there are some people who are doing it not all.and by the way we need this option to genuinely vote down some answers.If you find it often with you with any particular user , report it to admin.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

The vote down button has its uses. I know some people abuse it but it doesn't hurt you in any way. I have used it when people give completely wrong advice.

We all have had innocuous answers voted down for no reason at all. It's just the way it is smile

4. Disappearinghead profile image59
    Disappearingheadposted 11 years ago

I vote down if I think the author is talking rubbish. That's what the button is there for. hmm

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)