Should Men Attend Baby Showers?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (18 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 11 years ago

We have been invited to a baby shower. Both men and women were invited. My husband is flabbergasted and says it is in bad taste (primarily because he doesn't want to go, I think). He says it is wrong.

I say, why not? I'm actually relieved, since it probably means we won't have to play stupid parlor games.

Do you think inviting both sexes to a baby shower is poor etiquette, or a sign of the changing times?

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
      Jesus was a hippyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL It has always been a thing done by women because men don't want a part of it. It doesn't interest me at all to go to a baby shower.

I love that your partner is disgusted by it. Sounds like a great excuse. I'll remember that one just in case smile

2. profile image0
      mts1098posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I attended our baby shower and am glad I did. I got free beverage and food smile

3. profile image0
      cmahanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I say yes! But it also depends on the person. We recently went to a baby shower for a friend and her husband was there. My husband and hers are the best of friends so it worked out well. Most times the guys have their version - a diaper party. So, it really does depend on the person, the party, the crowd, and the husband.

2. Monisajda profile image61
    Monisajdaposted 11 years ago

I have been invited to a baby shower recently that was more of a mother blessing thing. Women gathered together to celebrate the mother-to-be while men watched the kids play. It was a pot luck party and my husband enjoyed the food and talking to other men while having an eye on our kids.

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I don't see a problem with men attending.

4. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 11 years ago

I don't see anything wrong with it. Brides used to be honored at all sorts of parties, desserts, luncheons, teas, and showers, but now many include couples.

5. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

Only if they want to go or are promised that other men will be attend.  There is a possibility that they will bunch up with the other men who attend.  My hubby wouldn't go.  He still refers to knitting as "sewing."  When I worked in an office, everyone attended because the potluck was held there.

6. Eric Newland profile image61
    Eric Newlandposted 11 years ago

Men have no time for such frivolities as celebrating new life. We should be out grunting, hunting sabertooth tigers, and picking nits out of our chest hair.

7. profile image0
    idratherbeposted 11 years ago

I guess in this day and age it would be okay? Traditionally, in my day, women only attended. I seriously doubt, the majority of men want to attend, but attend reluctantly.

8. Shanna11 profile image74
    Shanna11posted 11 years ago

Wait.... men aren't supposed to go to Baby showers?

But in the Disney movie "Lady and the Tramp" the humans have a baby shower and both men AND women are there!

Of course, it's an animated movie about talking dogs that takes place in the early nineteen hundreds..... but somehow I always just assumed that both men and women went to baby showers because of that movie.

Oh Disney... how you have failed me!

9. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

I won't even go.  Not after this woman was exitedly telling me about mashing Baby Ruth and Snickers in diapers.  Like, you have to guess which is which?  Spare me.  I'll happily go shopping for a gift and slip some money towards the baby's college fund some other day.  I don't get warm and fuzzy over gatherings like this, but it's okay when others get together.  My friends are into it because they have children and grandchildren.  I don't.  If I did go, I'd gravitate towards the men for interesting conversation--like I always do.

10. Disappearinghead profile image60
    Disappearingheadposted 11 years ago

???? What on Earth is a baby shower? hmm

We have a tradition in the UK of "Wetting the baby's head", where the father and his mates go out on a pub crawl following the birth and get rip roaringly drunk. So if this is a baby shower, game on. smile

11. profile image0
    SJmorningsun25posted 11 years ago

It seems to me that, since a man's involvement was necessary to bring about the baby, that it is perfectly reasonable he should be there--and his friends, too. Maybe if the men felt more involved in the excited, anticipation stuff, they'd be more into the diaper-changing later on!

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've been changing nappies for ten years; it's no big deal. lol

12. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 11 years ago

Thanks for the responses. We were on the way to the event when I posted this forum. It turned out as my husband feared. I was the only woman who was able to convince her husband that men do attend baby showers when invited.

It all worked out though. I had an excellent excuse to slip out shortly after the gift was handed over.

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
      Jesus was a hippyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hahahaha your partner obviously didn't complain as much as all the other girls partners smile

13. Courtney_CollinsD profile image60
    Courtney_CollinsDposted 11 years ago

XD I don't think anything is wrong with men and women both going to baby showers. It's happening a lot more in this day and age and to be honest, my baby shower was for both men and women. Then again most of my friends were guys so that was pretty much going to happen anyways.

I really just see it as a big party to celebrate a new life about to come into the world. Why not want to join the bash and play the games?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)