Avoiding duplicate content that is my own

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (18 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Terri Paajanenposted 11 years ago

I want to get back to publishing more on Hubpages and intend to use some of my existing articles that are on other sites. The other sites are also my own, but with recent problems with my hosting, I plan on dumping them altogether. So the content is to come here instead.

If I delete my articles from their current homes, will Hubpages still pick them up through some sort of Google cache and mark them as duplicate when they are published here? Should I delete and then wait a few days... a week or more? 

Any suggestions would be helpful. I'm a bit tired of running too many unproductive sites and would rather gather up my work in one place that pays out. But I don't want dupe flags all over the place.

Thanks.

1. Simone Smith profile image87
      Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey Terri Paajanen! I'd wait a week before publishing articles that you have deleted from your other online properties. Seven days should be sufficient. It's nice to hear that you'll be utilizing our platform more! big_smile

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

One option might be to do the work of copying them over here, but not publishing them, during that week or so.  Kill two birds with one stone by doing the manual work while giving google time to clear it's cache at the same time.

Do make certain that there are no stolen copies out there; if there are you can no long prove your ownership and the hub will truly be a duplicate and unpublished as a result.  Get those copies removed before unpublishing on your own site.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1

However, I'm not sure your plan is such a good idea.   Putting all your eggs in one basket is always dangerous.   I don't think HubPages is going to disappear any time soon - but I'm sure the writers at Today.com didn't expect it to close down overnight either.   

It's much wiser to have your articles spread over multiple sites, because then if something happens to one site, at least you still have the others. You can also drive traffic much more effectively, by ensuring that you interlink articles on the same subject on different sites (e.g. if you have a Hub about blue widgets, and a Squidoo lens about blue widgets, include a link from one to the other.  Then if you have an article on Xobba about blue widgets, link to the Hub and the Lens.  And so on).  Having an interlinked presence like that, across different sites, is actually an asset. 

If you stick to sites that earn through Adsense, then all your income is still going into one account and therefore the individual thresholds don't affect you.   The only exception is HubPages where the HPEarnings program generally pays better than Adsense alone, but you could experiment and see if Adsense alone works better for you.

1. profile image0
            Terri Paajanenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for making some good points (thanks everyone, actually). I'll wait at least a week, then decide what to do with my material. Seems a real shame to waste all that work because of a perceived "duplication".

I suggest using copyscape to check for stolen copies of your work before you unpublish anything.

If that's all OK, bear in mind it can take a month or so for all copies of your work to disappear from the cache. You can use Google Webmaster tools to get it removed faster. 

Another point - you mention some of the material is on your own blogs. Most people are finding that a good blog can do better than a rev-sharing site these days, as Google moves towards favouring "authority sites".  It looks like your blogs are each focussed on a single topic, which is a good start. You are probably trying to run too many, because to build an authority site, you really need to concentrate on two or three.  And you also need to monetize them properly - adsense is definitely not enough.

Are you getting readers?

1. profile image0

Some yes, some not so much. My main problem at the moment is keeping the sites running. I am constantly running into problems with hackers/spammers and I am really getting frustrated with web hosting in general. And partly I am feeling too spread out (exactly as you've said).

Everyone is raising some good points and I have a few new things to think about. Perhaps I'll leave my content where it is and write new material altogether for some new hubs. Too many choices!!  :-D

What are your sites running on?  If you're using Wordpress, there are some very good plugins which will get rid of all the spam comments for you, automatically.  Hackers also shouldn't be an issue if you keep your Wordpress installation up to date.

1. profile image0

Well, I had been running a few of them with very outdated versions of Drupal (my fault on that) but my recent stint with problems was with a brand new install of wordpress. It's not the comments, its that someone/something gets into my account and sends out email spam through my email, which is outside of Wordpress. My hosts can never seem to help, and they only suggest "better passwords". I may have it under control at the moment, but I am concerned about having all of my work hosted in this way. Hence my interest in spreading things out a bit to places like Hubpages.

2. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

1) Potentially.  The worst-case scenario is that your articles got copied elsewhere and once deleted off your own site, the thieves now appear to possess the oldest versions online.

2) Instead of blindly waiting around you should use the tools Google provides to have the content deindexed.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 11 years ago

You can't do that.  HP will see it as duplicate content.

1. profile image0

That's kind of my question though. If I delete an article from its original location, then it's no longer duplicate. Not really....  Are you saying that something stays "duplicate" forever even after deletion elsewhere??

1. Larry Fields profile image67
        Larry Fieldsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Terri,
        Here's another option. Make thoroughly revised (and slightly improved) versions of all the old articles on your other sites. Then publish the new versions on HP.

Be sure that no sentence from article A is moved directly to hub B without some revision. Possible exception: quotes from famous people.

Voila! No duplicate content headaches.

1. profile image0

Thanks, that's becoming more of an option as I look into this more.

3. Shravan Picsonia profile image58
    Shravan Picsoniaposted 11 years ago

I think you must wait for a week after deleting the post! Then put that content on your hub! smile

4. bisnar6665 profile image60
    bisnar6665posted 11 years ago

How do press releases avoid duplicate content? Since each press release gets redistributed like crazy, are they being penalized?

1. Len Cannon profile image87
      Len Cannonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good news sources don't just pass off the press release: they quote it, interpret it, provide context, and follow up on it. If you see someplace that just passes off a PR to the readers, stop reading because they don't have much respect for you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)