Amazon Ads with strange Tracking IDs?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (17 posts)
  1. chefmancave profile image72
    chefmancaveposted 10 years ago

I have been trying to track this down for the last few weeks. Many of my Amazon Ads are using "hubpages-20" as the Amazon ID Tracking code. (My Tracking code is "chef...-20") This all started when HP switched to the new Amazon module. A few things I noticed.

1) On some pages it works.
    2) On the pages that receive the most traffic, the "hubpage-20" is used.

I averaged about 15 sales per month prior to new Amazon module. After the changes, I am getting only 1 or 2. I contacted Amazon support and they verified (with some tool the general public is not privy to) that my embedded links in hubpages were not generating the proper Tracking ID.

I tried editing the links and resaving them. This did not seem to help. I submitted a question to the HP Question area but no one responded with a suitable answer. (Most answers were "I don't know")

What am I missing?

Can I embed the direct Amazon HTML and skip using HP Amazon module?

1. ologsinquito profile image81
      ologsinquitoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If this is happening, then it stands to reason that it needs to be corrected. Can someone from Hub Pages please help, because I think everybody is going to be wondering what's going on?

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You're losing me here.  The embedded links are producing HP code so you want to skip using the capsule and use embedded links instead?

First, how many checks did you make of what code is being used?  It will take at least a thousand unless 100% is HP code.  While the split is 60/40 that is not a mathematically firm figure, but a statistical average.  It can and does vary considerably from 60/40 when the sample size is small.

Second, if HP has figured a way to replace your Amazon code in an embedded link, I wouldn't complain too loudly.  That link was never anything more than a way to get around the 60/40 split and keep all the income yourself.

3. chefmancave profile image72
      chefmancaveposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Post mortem - After 1) Creating a brand new Amazon Associates account and 2) resetting all the Amazon links in my articles, I have jumped from a 4% conversion rate to a 38% (That is right 38%) conversion rate.

2. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 10 years ago

It's 60 - 40 You need to use modules. I once placed a direct link because I was linking to a search page, but HP got rid of my tracking ID. It was just a normal link without any tracking ID. So I got rid of it eventually.

However, if you did happen to sign up under a referral I believe that out of the 40% of HP a small percentage goes to your referral too? But your 60% wont be affected. Not sure if this is the case, but I think this happens, at least it happens for Adsense ads. Again, I'm not sure if it's only for the first year or always.

1. wilderness profile image95

Yes, the referral system happens.  It is 10%, taken from the HP 40%, and is good forever.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
        lobobrandonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Cool thanks, was wondering if it was forever or just a year smile

3. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

60% is yours.
    40% is Hubpages.

Out of that 40%:
    -10% will go to a referrer if you have one.
    9-12% will go to a person who links to your page.

There was something similar mentioned in this thread: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/118353

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the linking referral concept out here.

4. chefmancave profile image72
    chefmancaveposted 10 years ago

Thank you for all your replies.

So what you are saying is that 40% of time, when a reader clicks on one of the Amazon links, HP will generate a "hubpages-20" Tracking ID and 60% of the time HP will generate my "chef...-20" Tracking ID. Is that what is supposed to happen in theory?

I can create an app that will simulate clicking on my articles hundreds of times and looking at all the Amazon links. Unfortunately, I cannot use this because HP will "flag" me as a "robot" and disable my account. I have worked hard to generate "natural" traffic and have tried to follow all of HP usage rules. In the end, I am looking for a way to test and validate the Amazon links.

It works fine. Just load your page 10 times if need be and check out the tracking id. Should be around 6 yours. But, the more times you do it, the better the approximation.

Will HP accuse me of being a robot/spammer?

1. wilderness profile image95

Can you use the instructions here:
          http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/3062#post21420
          to accomplish what you need?  In theory, the entire page is devoted to either you or HP, looking at adsense codes should accomplish the same thing...

5. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

I looked at a couple of your pages an hour ago and clicked up the amazon ads several times. I did the same again, just now.

An hour ago I was getting almost all HP ad codes and just now I was getting almost all 'chefman' codes. Probably balances out (but I ain't testing hundreds, lol)

I have not noticed anything much happening as a result of the new capsules.

I would take it up with staff if you are worried.

Thanks Will for testing out the links. That brings up an interesting question. How do I "take it up with the staff" as you suggested? Is there an email or particular area I go to for concerns such as this?

1. Will Apse profile image89
        Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sorry. I missed this before.

This is the email: team@hubpages.com

Thanks...You have been a wealth of good information.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)