are too many tags bad?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (17 posts)
  1. CarpetDiem profile image72
    CarpetDiemposted 14 years ago

Are too many tags on an individual hub a bad thing? Do they "water things down"? And how many is too many?

How many do you usually use on each of your hubs, and why?

Thanks!

1. Drew Breezzy profile image63
      Drew Breezzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I went back and removed a bunch of tags from hubs only leaving like 8-10 specific tags and my views and hub scores went up

2. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Yes. No. Depends on the amount of text in the hub.

About 30 for an average length hub. Because more will cause problems.

You are welcome smile

3. CarpetDiem profile image72

hi Misha,
    30 tags???
    Wow, I was thinking maybe 5 to 10 is the limit...
    It makes sense that the more text (content) then the more tags are ok. But when you say "30 is ok for the average length hub", what is an "average link hub"?

Thanks!

1. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

600-800 words smile

4. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

I think too many tags sets you up for having your hub flagged for being misleading.  If you pick maybe a handful of quality keywords I think it is better for your score and traffic altogether.

I think....

5. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

I used to have like 50 tags per hub cos I had so much info loaded in each of them. Then I noticed it affected the hubscores. But when I deleted some tags, the scores shot right up. Like magic!

6. kmackey32 profile image63
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

Someone told me to use 15 tags

7. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

15-20 seems to be the charm ...

Remember to keep those tags related to your hub content. If you don't ... well ... let's just say I warned ya. smile

8. rapmanual profile image41
    rapmanualposted 14 years ago

I use long chain keywords in short supply.

9. bigmikeh profile image69
    bigmikehposted 14 years ago

During my limited experience with Hubpages, tags still confuse me. On my other sites I would limit my keywords to probably 5 maximum - a few very specific, and a couple more general. But those are keywords and not tags.

When I look at the source code for one of my hubs I can see the metatag for the title and description, which originate from the title and summary text on the hub, but I see no metatag for keywords. Yet if tags are keywords I would expect to see the metatag. So I'm still not sure if tags should be treated as keywords or not.

I limit my tags usually to about 12-15 but I'm reluctant to use more in case it dilutes the focus of the hub for the search engines, and also for Adsense. I have read that too many tags (keywords?) can be the reason for irrelevant adverts on the hub...but who knows.

Just about to post this when I checked the source code again and found the tags right near the bottom of the page in the code for the sidebar. I'm not sure if the search engines would give them any relevance so far down the code, but I'm no expert...

1. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Tags definitely are not keywords. The benefits you get from them are due to the fact that every tag is actually a series of pages that lists all hubs bearing this particular tag. So you are getting internal backlinks from highly targeted pages. smile

10. CarpetDiem profile image72

Thanks for all the answers, input, and suggestions!
    Looks like based on your respective author hubscores, the experts have spoken!  big_smile

11. charlemont profile image73
    charlemontposted 14 years ago

It depends on whom you're competing with. A tag itself is an anchored link which usually includes keywords or variations. The number of anchored links can play a role in ranking a particular hub by search engines, but I doubt it's crucial. Anyway, it's a factor analyzed by Internet Business Promoter I'm currently using.

12. fritteritter profile image81
    fritteritterposted 14 years ago

It seems that I use about 8 tags per article. My first hub was a bit overloaded so I refined the tags according to the advice of others in this thread.

Also consider having one rather unique keyword that is identical across each of your hub groups. That will allow you to find your hubs much more easily in the site search, which in turn makes it easier to distribute topic-based RSS feeds for your hubs. It's much quicker to add and remove tags than it is to edit each article to include a unique keyword in the text if you decide that you need topic-based RSS feeds.

13. gurgel1 profile image60
    gurgel1posted 14 years ago

I think that tags are great.

14. wannabwestern profile image92
    wannabwesternposted 14 years ago

After reading this post earlier I updated about 15 of my hubs and tried to remove tags that weren't directly referenced in hubs. I have a lot of book reviews so I removed generic references to preschool and home school, since those words aren't in many of the hubs themselves. The individual Hub scores increased a bit, but not drastically. However, it looks like that may be helping traffic some. Not that I get a lot on a day to day basis. Just a small steady trickle. Anyone else try this today?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)