Not so kind comments - what would you do?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (36 posts)
  1. favored profile image63
    favoredposted 9 years ago

Has anyone who had their lenses transferred to Hubs had bad comments on articles that need to be fixed?  Some of my top articles didn't come through with the photos or links,  and some content missing.  A visitor wrote a rather unkind comment saying:
    "I do agree with all the ideas you have introduced for your post. They are really convincing and can certainly work. Still, the posts are very brief for newbies. May you please extend them a bit from subsequent time? Thank you for the post."

I haven't been able to fix that particular article yet, because I've been working on the ones with violations.  It just makes our writing look bad and we won't get return customers.  I wish we would have been able to fix our work according to the rules before it was transferred.  Appreciate that it was "live" but this doesn't look good on any party.

Should I publish the comment and give a reason why it is missing items or just deny it and try to get to the errors asap? I'm not sure how long it will take to fix the article, because it is quite extensive and needs a lot of work.

1. Nancy Hardin profile image60
      Nancy Hardinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Aw, dang, that's sad favored1. You'd think some of these folks would realize we only have two hands and just so many hours in a day. It's impossible to get to all of our ex-lenses in one fell swope. If I got a comment like that, I think I'd deny it, but then again, at least the person DID have some good things to say about the Hub. Maybe you should send her some fan mail, and just tell her it's being worked on, and for her to come back again to visit when you notify her it's done. THEN I'd deny it!

favoredposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I would like to do that, but they aren't on Hub pages (no link), so it may have been a customer.  See what I mean?

Oh! If they're not a HP member, then it's up to you whether to toss it or keep it. Maybe she/he meant well, in asking for more information.

That's what missirupp thought also. Hopefully ladies you are correct smile  Now that it's getting comments it will have to be moved up the to-do list even though it has no violations.  So that's good anyway.  Thanks Nancy.

2. Ilonagarden profile image91
      Ilonagardenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Right now I would publish every comment that seemed to be a genuine observation on my work. I don't get nearly enough comments. I liked Susan's response about thanking a person for their comment, even the one's that critique the work.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

Most people on hubpages are not members and have no idea about the Squidoo transfer.  I guess the question is: is it good enough to be publish as is? If not you can unpublish it until you have time to fix it.

psycheskinner, if it's unpublished, it earns nothing. Many of these writers are the sole income of their home. How would you like to "unpublish" 400 lenses, and lose your entire paycheck? That's a solution only for something that really needs total rewriting. It sounds to me like favored1 just needs to expound on the subject a little more. Wouldn't you agree that a better solution would be to contact the critic, and explain to her that she has plans for extending the lens as soon as she can? Besides, one critic does not a Hub make, in my opinion.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The hub is public, people make of it what they wish.  Replying to one specific visitor deals their their specific impression of the hub. Probably not worth the trouble, really IMHO. Better to spend that time working on the hubs.

You either think the hub is good enough to stay published, or not, for whatever reasons. Everyone has their own idea of good enough in their own context.  I am not making the decision and have no opinion about it.

2. favored profile image63

The page in question had plenty on content, photos, etc. but it didn't all transfer. I just have to go back and retrieve it, but haven't had the time with my husband's recent heart attack.  I'm cleaning up any violations first. This one was fine.

1. moonlake profile image82
          moonlakeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If I were you I would delete the comment and not worrry about it. Never put a comment on that you don't like your the boss of your hub and you can do what you want with comments.

Thanks, that seems to be the way I'm being directed.

I don't know what you mean by the writers on HP aren't members.  Aren't all the people here aware that Squidoo transactions weren't in our control?

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

We are talking about a comment.  Unless you set a hub to 'members only', anyone can comment--any reader, not just other members of the site that can receive fanmail.

Yes, that's true. I do have it set for anyone to comment.  I figured that's what happened.  Thanks

3. profile image0
    missiruppposted 9 years ago

I feel for what you Squidoo members are going through. Sounds like it's been quite an ordeal. The comment doesn't seem mean to me. I think whoever wrote it really wanted to help. It sounds like they enjoyed your writing and wanted to read more.

missirupp, hopefully they'll came back after I've had a chance to edit it.  Thanks for your positive feedback.

2. Faith Reaper profile image84
      Faith Reaperposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I do not think it is an unkind comment. Sounds like the person enjoyed the article. You can leave the comment and thank him or her for reading and maybe explain about being a transfer, and that when time permits you will retrieve the other information.I am sure the person will return to see your reply comment.  I am so sorry about your husband.

4. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

We have four months to fix everything.  Just take it one Hub at a time.

And remember once you edit, the grace period is over for that Hub.  Tackle a complicated one, then fix a few easier ones.  I'm just doing a chunk a day, and not panicking.

In the last four years, there were at least a half dozen times I had to make editing reviews of a few hundred Hubs due to HubPages own changes.  If you just do 5-10 per day, you get through it.

relache, that's the problem, I don't have that kind of time right now. This article will take a bit of time and I don't have that taking care of my husband.  In a few weeks I may as he recovers. Thanks for your encouragement.  You've been a great help to everyone.

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've got several imports that I know are a mess.  I know I can put them off until I have a long weekend, which might not be until one or two months from now.  Really, they will be fine until then.

I'm editing from most-highly-trafficked on down, and if a few along the way get put off until later, that's not going to be the end of anything.

5. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 9 years ago

I would delete the comment and forget about it.  The internet is a big place and spending even moments on a negative is in my opinion a waste of time.

On occasional hubs where I get a lot of spam or negativity I just remove comments altogether.  They don't earn me anything.

1. lisavollrath profile image94
      lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This.

Appreciate it Mark.

6. SusanDeppner profile image76
    SusanDeppnerposted 9 years ago

I think I would respond with an apology that the article wasn't up to your usual standards, then mention that due to some technical reasons there were pictures and information lost on this article, and others, and "I'm working as fast as I can to repair the pages that have been affected." Then close with a "Thank you for our thoughtful comment. I hope you'll check back with me very soon." And I'd leave the comment with the response/explanation so other customers will see it. Then continue to update pages as fast as your daily schedule will allow it, as I know you're already doing. Prayers continue for your husband's fast and full recovery.

I was thinking along this line to Susan, but as soon as I comment on it the grace period ends.  If we could fix bits at a time or at least add that comment like you said without losing the grace time it would be great.  Thank you for praying for my husband. I hope to post a update again soon.  You've been great through all this and I appreciate it so much.

7. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 9 years ago

Replying to that comment may be a waste of time because, since that person is not a member, they will never be notified about your reply and will never come back to see it anyway.

The main problem is keeping up with all the updates to your lens/hubs. Maybe this might help...

Go to your stats report and sort by the "7-days" page views. Then prioritize your updates based on those that are receiving the most traffic, and working backwards from there.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your husband, that's your top priority. No need to worry what readers think right now, especially comments from outsiders who don't know what's going on with the Squidoo transition.

Glenn thanks for the encouragement. This is one that does get traffic so I was hoping to get to it, but not having violations I didn't even look at the page to be honest.  Seems it will have to be bumped up on the list. Ugh!

8. shellys-space profile image59
    shellys-spaceposted 9 years ago

favored:

Delete the comment if possible and keep on working on your transferred pages. Every one of my "hubs" need to edited and it seems like it is taking a long time, but is worth it smile

Thanks Shelly I know you have a ton of things to fix as well. You always keep cool smile

9. FanfrelucheHubs profile image75
    FanfrelucheHubsposted 9 years ago

googling the comment shows that it's a comment spam left by spammers wanting a quick backlink to their spam site.

Delete it.

FanfrelucheHubs I was wondering if it was spam, but since there wasn't a kind of link I disregarded it. Guess I need to rethink that.  Having their name with no link to click on I didn't think it could do any harm.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
        Glenn Stokposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There is no link on the name when it's an outsider leaving a comment. Only logged-in Hubbers have a link to their profile.

That comment by FanfrelucheHubs didn't make any sense. The one you started this thread about was simply from a non-Hubber who knows nothing about what's going on with Squidoo. It's not spam and it's definitely nothing to take seriously. Just delete it.

Appreciate it Glenn.  Their name with a number made it look official, but I got it now. Thanks

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
            Glenn Stokposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure if you meant a phone number. If there is an email address, a URL, or a phone number then it's spam and you should not approve it. Not need to think twice about it.

10. favored profile image63
    favoredposted 9 years ago

I just added something to my bio page that explains the errors.  Hopefully this will help.  Thanks everyone.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)