Goal/Style Tips Box Could Use A Product Counter and Warning On Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)
  1. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Face it, not everybody is good at math. I have done some checking on how many products in one hub simply too much when it comes to Google.  What is  interesting is that Amazon recommends, as do others, not to have more than 4-5 percent  of you hub being products. In fact the recommend to be less than 4-5 percent of your content.

We get a message if Capsules appear too close together.  It would be nice if there was something that would tell hubbers that they have too many products on their hubs, or give a percentage of products per hub.  Our videos and photos are counted. Our words are counted except for those put in descriptions of product capsules, so why not have some sort of product count to let hubbers know they have too many products on their hubs?

1. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I really can't understand why hubbers would want to put a lot of products in one hub. If it's a sales/product hub then there should not be a problem so long as there are at least 50 words of description per product. Even so, adding a selection of products, the hubber's discretion should be used.

A normal article does not look good with more than two or so products which the hubber recommends. The hubber should think about regular ads and how cumbersome a page looks with a lot of Google ads. It's the same thing. These products are ads and adding too much will make the hub look cumbersome. One does not need a tool to tell you that your hubs won't look pleasing with too many products.

1. ShashiRosa profile image63
        ShashiRosaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have some book-centred hubs (…okay, one, but i have more in-progress) where I use Amazon capsules to talk about the books as I would otherwise use a text capsule. They easily end up being at least half product capsules, and often close enough together to trigger a warning. I don't think they look horrible to the average reader – the 'buy now' button could stand to be a little more discreet, but otherwise they look like text/photo capsules about the book.

I don't think whatever system Google/HubPages uses to tell which hubs are overly promotional can really tell the difference between 'most convenient way to discuss a book' and 'hard sell', though hmm

2. Beaddoodler profile image66
    Beaddoodlerposted 9 years ago

The last time I tried to put 2 Amazon capsules in an article I got a pop up telling me that only one Amazon and one E-Bay capsule were allowed.

1. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You will get that warning only if your product capsules are touching each other in the layout.

3. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

I think HP has made it clear that less is preferable, the LC stating that 3 or more products may be too much.  You don't have to be good at math and there is no need for an additional tool to warn that your hub looks spammy.  I opened up one of the OP's hubs and counted 18 Amazon capsules.  I would say that is pushing the limit for spam regardless of word content.  I think even if writing a hub which includes a list of products/supplies, there doesn't need to be a capsule trying to sell each item.  Describe the purpose of the item, add a video of an item being used, or find a nice photo for a few of the items. Give value to the reader.
    "As long as the goal is to help the reader and not earn commissions, we are on the right side of good use."  Paul E.

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1

4. LindaSmith1 profile image61

I checked a hub that may have been referred to.  For starters, the hub did have 18 products,  but it also has a word count, in text boxes, of 2777 which is approximately 1 product per 150 words, whereas HP rules only requires 50 words per product. 

Secondly, there isn't one or two paragraphs followed by a string of products  which I see a lot of on HP.

According to my calcs I don't even have 1 percent of products in comparison to word count.

If a video replaced products, there would be approximately 18 videos, or 18 photos, or 18 of each.

HP recommends at least 1 video and 3 photos for Stellar hub.  We have a counter for those, but anybody can count 1-3. 

So, back to the subject. I did my calculation several times, several ways and came up with different answers.  So yes, I think if the guide was able to tell us the percentage of products we have would be nice,  even if the percentage is well below the word count requirement.  After all, it is called a "guide."

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Linda, I think you missed my point.  I'm trying to help.  If you do a search for 'kitchen essentials', the top result is Real Simple.  It gives a list of kitchen essentials.  It doesn't try to sell, it simply informs and gives a checklist.  The next few results are all cooking/kitchen related sites.  They inform and have sections for each category of items.  Again, these pages are not full of Buy Now images.  I think we can learn by observing.  I also didn't mean to replace each item with videos, simply that you could include one in lieu of another amazon capsule. I don't mean to single you out, but since you started the thread, I thought I would take a look at one of your hubs. Panda is trying to obliterate spammy content from the SERPS.  What is our authority/expertise on the topic we're writing?  What value do our hubs give that can't be found on numerous other niche related sites? 
      Food for thought, that is all.  We don't need a guide or a tool.

5. LindaSmith1 profile image61

rebekahELLE : 

I hate videos and rarely use them.  I hate going to articles full of videos and photos.  Once I see that, I am gone.

I got my percentage information from Google.

For instance a 500 word hub, according to HP rules allows 10 products.

5 percent is around 25, so 3-4 percent is somewhere around 20 which is over what HP allows.   

I doubt if I would even use 10 products for 500 hundred words.

However, when you get to 1000, 2000, or more words, trying to calculate a low percentage is difficult unless you are a math whiz!  HP would allow 20 products for 1000 and 40 products for 2000 words.

I still believe if the guide showed percentage, it would be a good guide.  Even if word count  allowed 30 products according to HP rules, that could mean we have 10, 20, 30 percent of our hub being products which we don't want. Google recommends less than 4-5 percent.   

After all is said and done, it is a judgement call.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)