301 redirects from Squidoo added support for trailing / URLs

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Coffee-Break profile image83
    Coffee-Breakposted 9 years ago

I just checked a few of my former lenses, and it seems like 301 redirects from Squidoo don't work anymore.
    Does anyone know anything about this? I used to have some social media traffic, mostly from Pinterest and Google+. That traffic is lost now.

Cheers,

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Not all of the content on Squidoo was transferred, so it is possible that much of your Squidoo content will not redirect to HubPages.

You can find more details here.
      http://hubpages.com/squidoo/faq
      http://hq.squidoo.com/hp-faq/

Coffee-Breakposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for replying. All my former lenses transferred to HP. I checked for a few hubs that I am sure were transferred. It is probably widespread. It started with the profile page which disappeared first. Initially I thought it was on purpose, although I can't see any reason for that. At the time the lenses were still redirecting.

Now, the redirect doesn't work for lenses either.

Can you share a URL for a Squidoo featured lens that you believe should be forwarding to HubPages Hubs that met the criteria to be transferred?
          http://hubpages.com/squidoo/faq#Will-Al … s-Transfer

2. LisaMarieGabriel profile image85
      LisaMarieGabrielposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Lenses formerly linked to in other pages are now not redirecting and show up as broken links. These are pages that were transferred and featured originally, not lenses that were WIP. It means manually going in to pages here and putting in the new link to eliminate the exclamation mark. It is more of a problem with pinterest and other links. It makes me glad I didn't have that much time for linking pages together or pinning.

2. CuAllaidh profile image80
    CuAllaidhposted 9 years ago

They seem to be working fine for me.

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Actually, Matthew, very recently lots of redirects from the Squidoo site appear to have stopped working.  The disappeared redirects were from URLs that predate any use of subdomains.  I'm showing this effect consistently across multiple transferred accounts.

People who joined Squidoo later, after category subdomains and user subdomains were in effect, would be immune to this effect.  But any content of mine which was first published under the main Squidoo domain appears to have lost its first Squidoo redirect this week.

I've forwarded this info to our engineering team.
      Can you provide any URLs that you believe should be redirecting but are not?

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Up until this past week, the following URL was redirecting

http://www.squidoo.com/fairywings

The content that once upon a time lived there is published and featured at http://schwarz.hubpages.com/hub/fairywings-2

This Hub, along with all others of mine (across two Hub accounts) that were originally published as top-level Squidoo domain lenses, all saw the redirects from those specific original URLs go away this week.

@relache. Both of those URLs appear to be forwarding now.
          Any other examples to check?

Yes, there are other examples.  As stated twice before in this thread, I am seeing that *every* Squidoo lens that I had which was originally published on Squidoo's top level domain lost its redirect this week.

Would you like me to list the several dozen URLs I have found at the present, or wait until I have finished manually checking the approx two hundred Hubs that got imported and which are still published?

So far, we have had no examples provided that are not forwarding correctly.
              If you can provide some that are not, I can pass that info to our engineers to see if we can track down the potential issue.

Right now, when I click on http://www.squidoo.com/fairywings/ it does not redirect to the Hub, it redirects to a generic "the page you requested is gone" message, but for a little while yesterday after you initially told me it was fixed it was actually redirecting to the moved content, which can be found at http://schwarz.hubpages.com/fairywings-2  However that is no longer the case.

That fairy wing Hub content was born at that initial URL, and lived the best, most-productive years of it's life at that URL.  Once Google introduced Panda, Squidoo moved it around.  It lived at http://relache.squidoo.com/fairywings and it also lived at http://crafts.squidoo.com/fairywings and HubPages seems to know that, and both of those URLs are being redirected to the Schwarz subdomain appropriately, but the redirect from the original URL is not working anymore.

And I have a similar scenario for dozens of other Hubs.

That's a broken redirect to me.  What is it to you guys?

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12014291_f1024.jpg

If you remove the trailing slash, then this one works and forwards.
                  http://www.squidoo.com/fairywings

I also sent a feature request to our engineering team to consider adding support for the trailing slash.

I support your request to add support for the trailing slash, especially as it was something that appears to have gotten added during importation.  At no point would I have been doing that manually.

In the meantime, I suppose I now have to reconsider yet another fix-it pass for several hundred pages.

2. Coffee-Break profile image83
        1. neosurk profile image88
          neosurkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

@Coffee-break

Those are not CORRECT addresses for those lenses. Delete the "/lensmasters/dbodnariuc" which will give you the correct Squidoo URL. For example:

http://www.squidoo.com/airfloss-vs-wate … l-flossing is correct instead of
          http://www.squidoo.com/lensmasters/dbod … l-flossing

..which is forwarding me to http://coffee-break.hubpages.com/hub/ai … l-flossing

301 redirects still seem to be working (except on individual lensmaster profiles). If your Pinterest pins are linked to the incorrect URLs, simply delete the "/lensmasters/dbodnariuc/" part and it should work. All my pins from Squidoo are pointing to my HubPages hubs.

Oops, used the wrong addresses.
            Thanks for pointing that out neosurk.
            I have to dig through my Pinterest pins, it was two lenses in there which drew my attention.

4. Fiorenza profile image70
    Fiorenzaposted 9 years ago

Are these hubs unfeatured because they lose the 301 then.  Quite a few of mine suddenly went unfeatured due to lack of engagement.

5. Fiorenza profile image70
    Fiorenzaposted 9 years ago

For info, they've said on other threads that they didn't put a redirect on profile pages.

There was one in the first two weeks or so. I am pretty sure.

6. ecogranny profile image83
    ecogrannyposted 9 years ago

Yes, this is a growing problem. Each time I click on a link to a Squidoo lens--mine or others'--I get a 404 message that tells me to go to HubPages and do a search.

ALL of my lenses were in the top 150,000 at Squidoo when the merger was announced, and many were much lower than that, in the top 50,000.

All of my lenses transferred without a hitch, yet every time I run across a link to one of my lenses-now-hubs and click on it, I get the 404 error message, not a re-direct.

This, along with the unimaginable drop in traffic and the ongoing problems with stats make me much less optimistic about a future for my work on HubPages.

7. MelRootsNWrites profile image91
    MelRootsNWritesposted 9 years ago

Mine were working earlier this week.  After reading this I tried some searches again  My redirects are no longer working either.

8. JenwithMisty profile image69
    JenwithMistyposted 9 years ago

I have been having these unfeaturing and redirect problems for weeks now.  One day I'll have 12 hubs unfeatured and the next day they are all fine only to be unfeatured again the next day.  One day about a month ago, half of my hubs had broken links where I had linked my pictures to my squidoo profile page so I fixed them all by taking the links out but oddly enough, there's still some of those links on other hubs that are redirecting correctly. None of those with the broken links had been unfeatured hubs so it had nothing to do with that.  My stats have been the same for the past week now and I just don't know enough to do anything about any of it.  I'm trying to be patient but every day it seems something new is broken.

9. Glorymiller profile image96
    Glorymillerposted 9 years ago

My redirects don't work any more, either.  I get a 404 error message that tells me the page is now part of HubPages, but that's it.   All of my pages transferred easily and redirects had been working. I have no idea when they stopped working.

10. chezchazz profile image77
    chezchazzposted 9 years ago

Not only that -- but because of that -- lenses I saved in html format to help with revising them into hubs don't open either...I have been updating one or two just about every day and unpublished some, but I still have a lot to go before the grace period runs out....

11. favored profile image63
    favoredposted 9 years ago

Mine aren't working either. I've checked on my other sites like Pinterest and the links don't work.  For some I've changed the links to HP, but there are too many to find them all.  Does this mean the article isn't featured even though it says it is?

12. Shorebirdie profile image74
    Shorebirdieposted 9 years ago

I'm not sure about mine, but that would explain a lack of traffic on some of them.  However, I have noticed that Google has already re-indexed many of my former Squidoo pages as Hubpages.  When I look on my pins on Pinterest, they have also changed to Hubpages, too.

1. Shorebirdie profile image74
      Shorebirdieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I just found a page full of links to my older lenses and they're redirecting fine, it looks like.

13. Coffee-Break profile image83
    Coffee-Breakposted 9 years ago

Mine are all working now. Pins on Pinterest even detect that the destination is a HP hub.

Best regards,

Dorian

1. brakel2 profile image73
      brakel2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hey great. Are they all fixed now? If so, it is a miracle. Happy Thanksgiving.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)