Is it getting harder to pass HubPages QAP?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (23 posts)
  1. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 9 years ago

I am being challenged. I have been having a problem getting a new hub to be featured. It has gone through QAP three times already.

It is a new day, and I am feeling up to the challenge once again.
    Rested and refreshed after a good nights sleep, with a hopeful heart.
    So! Now, the hub will be going through QAP for a fourth time. tongue

I know I will get the hub to be featured if I persist.
    But, are other Hubbers having the same difficulty? 

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12334395.jpg

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What is the intent or focus of the Hub that's been so challenging?

colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The focus of the hub is to show beautiful photos, with background information of the subjects, and to present products on the same theme.

1. relache profile image72
          relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Your products are most likely the problem.  You have created a sales Hub, something just to sell stuff.  Those types of Hubs tend to no longer be approved.

No, it isn't just another sales hub, and it is not spammy.
            The hub got approved yesterday to be featured.
            All I did was move the products down further on the hub.
            So! It was the layout that was getting the hub defeatured.
            I thought the four products were the problem...but,
            as it turns out, they were not.
            The hub layout was the problem.
            http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2724058

(If that didn't work, I was going to remove products one by one.)

2. Lady Lorelei profile image85
    Lady Loreleiposted 9 years ago

I have not tried to publish a new article for awhile. A couple months ago I tried to bring in a series of 3 articles and they were refused so I moved them to another publishing platform and have not tried to publish new articles here since. Maybe one day I will try again to bring in a new article but for the moment figure I am best to concentrate my efforts elsewhere and just work at updating the articles that I currently have here at Hubpages.

I did need to work on one older hub that became defeatured for quality after I edited it. (I knew that might happen sometime.)  But, I was able to get it featured again without much of a challenge. This new hub, however, is a different story.

2. sockii profile image71
      sockiiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Pretty much the same here. A couple weeks ago I spent hours putting together what would have been a new hub on my months of experience making extruded pasta at home with one specific pasta machine...it was the only product featured in the hub, full of my personal photos, advice on cleaning machine components and drying the pasta and with well over 1,000 words...tried multiple times to edit it and it just would not go through QAP as it was considered "spammy". For being a review of one specific piece of specialty kitchenware.

I gave up, deleted it and published it on Wizzley instead (where it looks better anyway...)

3. colorfulone profile image78

Lorelei and sockii, here is a hub that Robin published.
      http://robin.hubpages.com/hub/Gift-Idea … Grade-Girl
      "45 Gift Ideas for a Third Grade Girl: 8 and 9 Year Olds"

It has 6 Amazon capsules and 2 Amazon affiliate links, and a link to Bilk (not sure if it is an affiliate link or not).

* I think it is a great example of a product sales page.
      * It benefited me to see how she did it.

1. sockii profile image71
        sockiiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'd be more interested in hearing how it has actually converted to any sales than learning how to pass the QAP. All I can say is sales modules here at HP convert dismally compared to how they used to on Squidoo, so what point is there in creating product-oriented pages here anyway? I'm just moving such content elsewhere as I have the time.

HP doesn't seem to care that AdBlock programs block the Amazon capsules here, so a large portion of people viewing our hubs can't even see the products listed in the first place.

Honestly HP seems to anti-affiliate links and products in general, I wonder why they don't just get rid of the Amazon and eBay capsules completely at this point.

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I hope they don't (get rid of Amazon/eBay capsules).  As but a minor player in the field of sales, they are still worth $50-$100 per month for me.

1. janshares profile image92
            jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wow. God bless you, wilderness. That's no minor feat. smile You are the ad sales King.

2. colorfulone profile image78

Wilderness, we crown you the "Sales King" of HubPages.

3. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 9 years ago

It's harder to include products.  I saw the hub you most recently published which isn't featured, I assume it's the one you were referring to.  The Amazon products stuck out to me as coming out of left field a bit.

I don't know why the hub is not being featured for quality. Maybe the products are overly promotional on the hub? if they seem to be "coming out of left field a bit"?

I certainly respect your opinion.

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm not saying they're not related, more like their placement seemed a little jarring to me.  I was skimming along enjoying your pictures and descriptions of the history, and then the flow was interrupted by a similar thing I could buy on Amazon.  When I found the hub and clicked on it, based on the title I was expecting an informational hub about a sight-seeing destination, so the products felt out of place to me, especially popping up between your beautiful photos.

I moved the products down. If this layout does not get it featured, I will remove the related products one by one to see if that does the trick. It may stand best as an informational hub.

Thank you @calculus-geometry.

2. colorfulone profile image78

Your advice worked like a charm, @calculus-geometry.
          All I did was move the product capsules down.
          cool

4. RanaKm profile image42
    RanaKmposted 9 years ago

YES!! OMG! I think I can't handle this anymore! I'm really close to quitting this whole shitty site! All what the moderators do is sit on their asses and unfeature the hubs which they don't like.
    If they unfeature your hub again, what will you do? Will you resubmit it again and again? This site is really changing into the worse day after day... They have been putting so many useless rules and restrictions ever since the new year has started!
    I've edited like 50 hubs and deleted about 50 too because of getting so many hubs unfeatured. Although, these hubs were previously featured and getting so many search traffic but fuck this.
    I'm really gonna be quitting soon ( If not today )...And fuck this 25$ which I have made for these entire 10 months on here!
    Sorry for being rude and cursing but I'm so angry with this stupid QaPPPAjasdhsbhbfhbf

5. CelebrateUSA profile image75
    CelebrateUSAposted 9 years ago

I have experienced that problem too! Stick with it! It is for the good - don't hit me I know the frustration first hand.
    I also had hub unpublished - they had over 10,000 views and then they were unpublished. But you know what, they should not have been published in the first place, HP's review was spot on.
    Stick with it - it helps all us as it raises the quality score to the search engine. We are a team and that quality does need to be raised in order to compete and succeed.
    Best of luck to you.

6. lisavanvorst profile image65
    lisavanvorstposted 9 years ago

It was hard when I firs started writing on hubpages. Now I find it easier to pass the QAP. I believe your first few hubs are really scrutinized by the editors. After about 10 it seems to get better, so hang in there if you are still waiting for your hubs to be published.

Thank you, Lisa.
      My hub passed QAP 26 hours ago. If you had read the thread you would have seen that mentioned. However, I really do appreciate your comforting words and encouragement.
      That's sweet!

7. TheHealthGuy LM profile image81
    TheHealthGuy LMposted 9 years ago

Y'all are really pumping me up! I wasn't to excited about doing new hubs simply because the hubs I have were transferred from Squidoo and when I first joined Squidoo, Squidoo was a cool place. You could write about anything, use your lenses (Squidoo term) to drive traffic to affiliate pages or better to optin pages and not only make money via Squidoo but also from the traffic that was driven to my optin pages, all via free traffic. The links from squidoo helped boost ranking to my sites and things were good. Then ...

Squidoo became popular and forgot who made them popular, affiliates. They installed a spam bot and soon marketers lenses were all "spam" lenses, locked, then deleted. I lost about 40 lenses. Squidoo and I went round and round. But when the "arrogance" set in they simply became stupid and eventually sold the platform or lenses to hubpages. Now ...

Hubpages hit me as just another Squidoo with less bells and whistles. Hubs aren't near as easy to create nor can they be made to look as appealing as were Squidoo lenses but so far nobody at hubpages has hasseled me; yet I am reluctant to invest time creating new hubs because I think it is simply Squidoo in a different skin and ...

Since I have my own domain properties I just don't see the reason to invest what could become wasted time. What it all boils down to is this, free stuff is great, sometimes, but, when someone else owns the property they can do whatever they like and once they decide you are worthless your work and effort is wasted.

I have just sat and watched. I wanted to see what they did with my current hubs and so far, like I said, they haven't harmed them or hasseled me but who knows what would happen if I decided to invest more time? It sounds, from this thread and others, that it would be smarter to simply build more of my own properties.

I think it is unfortunate that something with such potential for both parties (hub writers and hubpages) may not be what it could be for both parties.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)