I'd like feedback on my Hub: 10 Reasons You Should Move to Ireland

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)
  1. C L Mitchell profile image88
    C L Mitchellposted 8 years ago

Hi Hubbers,

This is the first time that I've had one of my hubs not featured so quite disappointed. I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process on my Hub 10 Reasons You Should Move to Ireland. The feedback email that I received stated that I should remove the links to my website. I was surprised by this as the two links that I have added are relevant and provide somewhere for the readers to go to to find out more about those particular areas of my hub (i.e. working and studying in Ireland). Obviously I'm also wanting to promote my website, but didn't think that I was being overly promotional.

What can I do to improve? Thinking it may just be easier for me to move it over to my own website instead of publishing it on Hubpages.

Thanks!

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Lovely hub and quite good timing as my partner and I are thinking of hopping over from Wales to Ireland. His sister has recently moved to Clonmel. I've visited Ireland a few times but not since the 90s.

There are some negatives though, compared to the UK - there's no NHS, so all health care has to be paid for. Expensive for someone with a chronic condition - hubby has asthma.

Property is cheap, but you have to be careful as some houses were just thrown up in the last decade or two. The Euro is weak so if you are moving from the UK your sterling is worth more, but of course it works against you if you get paid in Euros and come home to visit. It makes it very difficult if you want to return to the UK any time in the future.

Unemployment is a huge problem in Ireland currently, especially as there are lots of Brazilians and Eastern Europeans prepared to work for minimum wage - there are stories of jobs being passed on; sold to the next person for their first week's wage.

So yes, there are many positives for moving but people must do their research. We're in two minds; we have teens just starting out on their life journeys and they are not too keen on being uprooted right now, so we may have to wait a while.

C L Mitchellposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I love Wales, so green and great for enjoying the outdoors. Very similar to Ireland in that regard.
        Yes those living in the UK are better of under the NHS. GP visits in Ireland can be expensive. But I guess for those coming from countries like the US, the public system is good in comparison. (In fact apparently some US health insurance providers have partnered up with Irish hospitals to provide their customers with the option of getting treated here since its cheaper than getting the same service in the US).
        The employment situation is variable depending on where you live and what sector you live in. If you do IT or finance there seems to be lots of those jobs.
        To avoid the currency issue I've been doing most of my holidaying in countries on the euro, or in those EU countries that have good exchange rates with the euro. But I imagine this would be difficult for you if your wanting to return to the UK. But its hard to predict the exchange rates. Maybe by the time you are ready to move it might be ok.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

This is a very nicely done hub, but I can see why the team unfeatured it.

First, you sidebar and bold your links, and two of them do not relate to Ireland.  Sidebars do not show well on Mobile Applications.

I would dump the Transylvania links and make the one about Ireland contextual...meaning, you should use it within a capsule.

Also, although you do not link to your website in your profile,you mention it.  This is highly promotional.  While I understand why you have it there, I would suggesting removing it, also.

You might get by with it if it is not a link, but self promotion is frowned upon here at HP.

Good luck.

Thanks for your feedback Timetraveller2, the hub has now been featured.

Surprisingly it didn't seem to be an issue with the side bar, it related to 2 in text links that I removed yesterday which I had originally added to give people further information about working and studying in Ireland. Which surprised me as they were very relevant links and this doesn't seem to have been a problem when I did it in my other hubs.

I had put the Transylvania links in there because they were general travel articles, but take your point. Especially in regards to the side bars not displaying well in mobile, I will go through and try to fix that on my other hubs when I have time too.

2. helenstuart profile image60
    helenstuartposted 8 years ago

HI C.L.!
    I really really enjoyed your post! I was so busy reading it I didn't notice any links. (I learned to read WAY before links were invented, so I tend to ignore them still) I will tell why I think your post deserved more notice and praise but didn't get enough. And I think its all because most of the Western world and Civilized Europe is still quite prejudiced against Ireland. Even though almost every American citizen with any European descent will have a good deal of Irish blood running through his veins. But we're proud of our own Irish blood! It's strong, feisty, and unpredictable. Maybe that's why people have to be CONVINCED that they can go to Ireland and live through it. As I commented on your post, it's been my #1 travel dream since I was a kid. So just because you did ask for input, I will say maybe you should have written your post from the argumentative essay stance. Instead of just starting out like "everybody wants to go to Ireland" you know, mention the banshees, or how the emerald isle is only green because bent back men slogged peat up the rocky .... whatever. I've never been there. I guess the rocky rocks. Start off with the scary Angela's Ashes stuff that people already believe, and then burst into a cozy pub where everybody is so drunk off their asses on that Irish kind of beer that its better than mardi gras. oh yeah, and those sweaters. ONe thing I would love to know, what are the "black Irish" I am pretty sure they are from the North, my mom said once conquering Vikings? thats what I have a lot of in me, so I wish I knew what it was. The last name on that side is Jacobs, which happens to be a very common name in every part of the world, I think. I hope you didn't mind my advice, because your post really was impeccable. Just thought, since you asked, I would suggest a  little drama taken from both persuasive essays as well as fiction.

Thanks helenstuart, I think it may be suffering from being too positive and looking on the bright side! Maybe I should begin the hub about the difficult and tough side of Ireland to create the drama so I can then lead them into the light side at the end.

3. DrMark1961 profile image96
    DrMark1961posted 8 years ago

It did not seem overly promotional, but I think you could remove the hyperlink to your website and see if it passes then. If that does not work, make only the link to the Irish hub functional--maybe they consider the links to Transylvania not appropriate, despite the fact that they are about travel.
    (HP is trying to remove all of the what they consider unrelated links since they think it affects our rating with Google. They then add all sorts of unrelated hubs and unrelated ads to the page, which definitely does not help our ranking with Google.)
    BTW, I lived in Ballyferriter (Dingle penninsula) over 30 years ago. Did you know the stone entrances to the beehive huts are new? (Not the small grey stones with which the huts were built, just the larger stones where people go in and out.) I was just curious if they tell visitors that.
    Interesting reading material. Thanks.

Thanks for taking the time to read it and respond DrMark1961. I found it weird that this hub seems to be caught up with this issue when I've done exactly the same on other hubs and haven't had an issue with them not being featured (maybe I shouldn't point this out as I may see them not featured soon!).
      The symbol on it has changed from 'not featured' to 'pending' so not sure if I should just leave it now to see the outcome of the next assessment?
      I did not know about the beehive hut stone entrances being new. However, it was a very rainy day when we were there (hence I had to brighten that photo up a lot otherwise it was very grey) so maybe I just missed that bit of information as we did not stay long.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
        DrMark1961posted 8 years agoin reply to this

My greatest memory from living in Dingle---it rained every single day! I took a lot of pictures there but all most all of them were too grey.
        That pending symbol should be gone within 24 hours, so if your hub is not featured this time you try another post on the forum. Probably this time you will get a better Mturk reader though and the hub will pass QAP.

4. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 8 years ago

Your hub is very beautifully formatted and well-written and I hope it passes soon.  HP is funny about what it considers a "spammy element," to use their lingo. A scientific approach to linking often works: write the article with no links to other sites or Amazon products, then after the hub passes edit it to include links one at a time until you discover what the saturation point is.  It's more work, but it removes uncertainty as to which links are the problem.

HP seems to  tolerate links listed as sources, so that might give you a way to link to your site without running afoul of spam rules. If you try it, you should include other trustworthy sites such as news outlets, articles on .gov and .edu sites.  Best of luck with it.

That's a really good idea about adding them in one at a time after it is featured. I have gone in and removed the 2 links. Hopefully that will do the trick then I can play around with it after that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)