Is it unfair for Tim Tebow to get a minor league baseball contract?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 7 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13189543_f520.jpg
    As many of you might have heard, Tim Tebow has tried out  to play minor league baseball, and it looks like the Mets are giving him a huge contract.   I don't know the specifics of it, but I've heard that supposedly he's going to be paid way more than the average player on the team.  That's all I know.

However, I have ran across a few rant videos online saying how they feel it's unfair to all the minor league baseball players that he's wasting a roster spot, as some young high school or college kid coming up that's been playing baseball his whole life is going to be denied  their dreams because Tim Tebow took his chance away from him.   

My personal thoughts about this is this.  First all, everything they said about why the Mets signed him is correct.  It was nothing more than  PR stunt on their end.  That' I'm sure, and let's be honest.  The owner of the Mets didn't offer Tim a minor league contract because he thinks he can play.  No, he gave him a contract because a) he's a name that you know is going to put a**es in the seats,, and b) because it'll give his minor league team free advertising.  Seriously, the revenue that Tebow will bring in as a sideshow attraction to that team will be worth every penny of his contract.

But as a player?  Oh I think he's going to suck.  I'm sorry, but if that dude couldn't throw a football, then he has no chance in hell of throwing a baseball.  And hitting pitches that are just being thrown to show you off to scouts is a helluva a lot different when you're competing against pitchers that  are trying to strike you out.  I think Tim is going to struggle, and I think most of his teammates will probably hate his guts since he'll be the most talked about player on the team, and he'll most likely be the highest paid, even though he'll be the crappiest player on the team.  But what do I know?

Also for the record, I don't think Tebow is denying anyone worth mentioning a precious roster spot because the way I look at it is this.  If you were really that good, then you should be easily be able to beat out Tim Tebow, a guy who hasn't played baseball since grade school.  So if you can't even beat him, then you were probably never going to make it to the majors anyway.  I mean seriously.  How many minor league players actually make it to the major leagues anyway?  I'm willing to bet it's probably less than 50 percent at best, but i could be wrong.

What are your thoughts on this?  Do you think Tim Tebow is STEALING  an opportunity from some young high school or college kid to prove themselves in the minor leagues?  Or do you think this is a great move for both Tebow and the Mets?  Please discuss.

1. Chris Tyler profile image82
      Chris Tylerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Where in the world did you ever get the idea he can't throw a football? Need I remind you:

- 2 x BCS National Champion
      - Heisman Trophy winner
      - 2 x First-Team All-American
      - 1st Round NFL Draft Pick
      - Won 7 of his first 8 games as a starter, including a streak of 6 straight wins.
      - Led the Broncos to an AFC West Championship

So make no mistake: Tim Tebow can throw a football. Tebow is better than a few of the guys who will be starting in games this afternoon. The only reason Tebow isn't a starting QB in the NFL today is because the NFL is stuck in this phase of using a bastardized form of Sabermetrics to try and build a team, and they're looking at the wrong numbers. 

It's ridiculous to think that Tebow is stealing anything. There's nearly 250 minor league teams, and depending on the time of year, there can be over 6,000 total players. If you're not able to beat one of the other 5,999 guys for a slot, then you really should look for another line of work.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 7 years agoin reply to this

The first 3 points you made to validate Tebow are invalid because that was in college.  not in the NFL.  How many heisman trophy winners turn out to be busts in the NFL?  Gee, let's see here.  Matt Leinart, Vince Young, RGIII (although I am rooting for him to come back this year), and Johnny  A**hole Manziel.  All those quarterbacks were former heisman trophy winners, and where are their nfl careers exactly? 

Also, you mentioned how Tebow got drafted in the first round as if to imply that supports how good he is.  Um..no it doesn't.  Tom Brady was drafted in the sixth round, and he's arguably the best quarterback in nfl nistory. Russell Wilson is a pro bowler, and a champion, and he was selected in the fourth.  Tony Romo was an undrafted free agent.  Meanwhile, Ryan Leaf and Johnny "drunk woman beater who has no place in the nfl" Manziel were both drafted in the first round, yet I'd hardly say that makes them any good, so Tebow getting drafted in the first round doesn't mean jack.  It just means he was good enough in college to convince a few scouts to take a gamble on him. Nothing more or less.

As for everything else you just said about Tebow's stats, you are aware that the defense carried him during his winning streak in Denver, and he got lucky in the playoffs playing against a banged up Pittsburgh Steelers team, right? Also if you look at his stats, he completed less than 50 percent of his passes in games, and he had some of the worst QBR ratings in NFL history.  I'm sorry, but the man can't play quarterback because he can't throw. 

Having said all of that.  All his football stats are irrelevant at this point.  Because he's no longer pursuing his dream of being a quarterback in the nfl anymore.  Now, he's moved on to his new dream, which is playing professional baseball.  A sport he hasn't played since grade school.

Honestly I think he's going to suck as a baseball player. I really do.  For starters he hasn't played the sports in YEARS, by his own admission, and that's going to be tough considering he'll be competing against guys that played baseball all their lives up this point.

Not to mention the fact that I just found out that he was given a huge 100 thousand dollar signing bonus with the team, which is already making a lot minor league players royally pissed off...and i don't blame them.  hell, I'd be pissed off too.  If anything, I'm willing to bet a lot of them will be like saying in their minds, "Damn him.  He's the crappiest player on this team, and he gets all the money, and fame, while we get jack....f**k him."  Seriously, if Tebow doesn't get beaned a few times in the minor leagues, then I'll be very surprised.  lmao

1. Chris Tyler profile image82
          Chris Tylerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You're kidding, right?

Of course college numbers matter since that what the NFL uses to judge prospects in the first place. It's how they decide who to invite to the combine, and why nearly every college runs a Pro Day for their eligible players.

And of course draft order matters. Forgetting the millions of additional dollars higher round draft picks get, draft picks are a valuable commodity in the NFL-- especially first round draft picks. Players taken in the first round represent not only a substantial investment by the teams but also a lot of faith. That's why "draft busts" hurt so bad is because of what teams had to give up to get them.

As for the whole "the defense carried him" nonsense, where exactly was that defense the first five games of the season when they went 1-4? The only thing that changed between the 1-4 beginning of the season and the 7-4 rest of the season (including their win in the playoffs against my Steelers), was Tim Tebow.

It's not like the defense was any better with Tebow because they still managed to give up an average of 22 points a game for his 11 starts, including three games where they allowed 40 points of more. Tebow didn't win because of the defense, he won in spite of them.

I'm not gonna comment on his performance as a baseball player because I haven't seen him play. I will say though that his marquee value for a minor league team is worth way more than $100,000 and anyone complaining is either jealous or has no idea what they're talking about. Tebow has already been worth over $100,000 in free press for the Mets and he hasn't even reported to the team yet.

1. profile image0
            Stevennix2001posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Again.  RGIII, Johnny Manziel, Ryan Leif and Matt Leinart also put up big numbers in college, but that's just it.  That was in college.  Would you say any of those other players that I mentioned are elite players in the nfl now?  And if that's the case, then I have to ask why?  What did Johnny A**hole who beats up women while being drunk ever do to deserve being called great in the nfl?    What did RGIII do, apart from his rookie year, to be deserving being up there with the greats in the nfl?   What did Matt Leinart do in the nfl?  Or hell, how did Ryan Leaf work out in the nfl exactly?  The point is just because you put up good numbers in college it doesn't mean you can do the same in the nfl.  Yeah, Tim proved he could throw in college, under a gimmicky read option system, but that was in college.  Not the NFL.  Hell, did you know that first round draft picks only have like a 50 percent probability of working out in the NFL?  With the other 50 percent being busts?  You are aware of that right?

Don't get me wrong, you're right that in a sense that those numbers are important, when determining who to draft and whatnot, but you're acting like that somehow proves that if you can play in college, then it automatically means you'll be able to do the same in the NFL.  That's not reality.

The reality is that Tim Tebow played a read option type offense in college that doesn't work on the nfl level.  He got LUCKY, when he started for the Broncos.  I didn't stutter there.  He was lucky.  Not good, but LUCKY.     But biased Tebow fans like you guys are forgetting is that Tim Tebow DID get other opportunities to be in the NFL.  He just didn't work out because he sucks. 

Okay, I'll give you the fact that he was setup to fail for the Jets, since that was a dysfunctional setup for him to begin with.  I'll give you that one, but look at the other teams he didn't work out for.  The greatest head coach of all time in Bill Billichick was able to make a guy like Matt Cassell, who hasn't taken a starting snap since high school at the time, and made him look like the second coming of Tom Brady for one year.  Yet he couldn't do jack s**t with Tim Tebow?  I'm sorry, but if the greatest coach of all time couldn't make you play great, then you're f**ked as an nfl player.

Hell, Chip Kelly runs more read option plays than almost any other coach in the nfl does.  And if you're a huge Tebow fan, then you know the read option plays are perfect for his style.  Yet, he couldn't even make it as a THIRD STRING QUARTERBACK for Kelly, so he's done.  I'm sorry, but he can't throw.  He sucks as a quarterback.  I hate saying it like that because i think he's a nice guy, but I'm just being honest.

As far as draft order goes, why are you bringing up such a stupid argument?  Seriously, how does that even prove your point?  Okay.  A first round pick will OBVIOUSLY get more money than a later round pick.  No f**king shit.  In other breaking news, water is wet.  Seriously, why is stating something that obvious proving your point that Tebow can throw on the nfl level?  Quick answer.  It doesn't.

As I said before, all getting drafted in the first round proves is that you put up big numbers in COLLEGE to convince nfl scouts and gms to gamble on you in the first round. That's all it means.  Again, only fifty percent of the first round picks actually work out in the nfl; let alone live up to the hype.  Again, look at RGIII, Matt Leinart, Vince Young and etc.  Those players put up big numbers in college too, but I wouldn't say they're among the all time greats at the nfl level....would you?

Look, I'm not disagreeing you with that Tim Tebow doesn't deserve to be given a shot at a baseball contract because he does, and i agree with you that the amount of free press he gives the Mets alone makes him worth the investment.  All I'm saying as far as that goes is that I can kind of understand where all the minor league players that don't like him now are coming from.

Think about it for a minute.  Really think about it.  Most minor league baseball players barely make that much, and some only get a signing bonus anywhere from a 1000 to  2000 dollars.  Quite a leap down from tebow's 100 k.  Anyways, let's also pretend for a moment that it's been your lifelong dream to play baseball, and you're barely making it while playing in the minor leagues, which forces you to work another job while playing baseball.  You're barely making, yet you work your a** off every single day like you have since grades school.  Playing baseball your whole life is what you know, and you hope someday to make it to the majors.  You earned your spot on that team with sweat, sweat and more sweat.   You do everything your coaches ask of you, even though you're exhausted from working a full time job and working for a minor league team.

Then comes Tebow, who hasn't played baseball since grades school, and immediately gets a huge contract that's worth way more money than the entire team's salary combined.  That means Tim Tebow put in even less work than YOU DID to get that position, and in all likely hood, you're probably going to be way better as a player than he is.  You're seriously telling me that a part of you deep down inside isn't going to be a little resentful?  also knowing that every time you guys win that everyone will say Tebow somehow inspired you all to win, even though he may have had little to nothing to do with it?  Are you seriously saying that's not going to get on your nerves after a while?  I don't know about you, but it would for me.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the first pitcher he faces beans him a few times out of spite.  Not saying I want that to happen to Tebow, but I'd be surprised if that didn't happen in his first game.  Just saying.

2. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 7 years ago

I'd rather see him play football, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Making it to the majors seems like a long shot at best.

3. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 7 years ago

I'm a huge Tebow fan because of one single attribute. His ability to win. He doesnt throw perfectly or have all the skills, but his emotional intensity is off the charts. I love watching that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)