iPhone or not

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (14 posts)
  1. HubChief profile image71
    HubChiefposted 14 years ago

I have been looking for one but everytime, mandatory increase of $30 to my monthly bill knocks me off.

Do you think IPhone is best? Is there a phone better than iPhone that would blast me off with features that iphone has got?

Is there a way to get one without having to add $30 to my bill?

1. troyjones profile image58
      troyjonesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I use a G1 - TMobile's competitor with the iPhone; it runs Google's Android OS.  Everyone else in my family has an iPhone.  They all love it and the most common comment is that before owning the iPhone all they ever used their phone for was calling but now they surf the web, check email, etc.

I had a bad experience with AT&T as a carrier and refuse to use them so I stuck with TMobile because they've treated me well for about 4 years running now.  I like my G1 a lot and since I use GMail and Google calender and docs the G1 is ideal - it automatically ties into those Google based apps.

The G1 also has a keyboard - like what you see on the texting phones - which the iPhone does not.  I prefer the keyboard to the on screen keys because my fat fingers seem to get the wrong letter more often than not.

The iPhone screen is bigger and the touch is more responsive.  I like those aspects of the iPhone much better.

For music or videos - the G1 does these as well.  The G1 comes with 1 GB built and a mini-SD slot on the side.  So while the iPhone may come with 8 GB you will never upgrade it.  The last time I was in the TMobile store they were selling 32 & 64 GB mini-SD cards.  (I think the 64 GB cost about $80).

The cost of the 2 phones is comparable.  The cost of the TMobile monthly service plan is significantly less (at least it was in Jan 2009) than AT&T's.  You are, however, tied into a 2 year contract just like AT&T.

One more thing about service...
      My brother has an older iPhone so no video even after the software update.  Eventually he jail broke his iPhone in order to get the video software.  The new iPhone came with video.  Apple wants existing customers to buy a new iPhone instead of servicing those customers.  Not the kind of customer service I'm looking for.

2. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

iPhones are great, but if you do decide to get one... take a tip from me.... buy it from the Apple store and only the Apple store.

Buy it from anywhere else and you will spend hours and hours working out how to put it together and install it, buy it from Apple for the same price and they will set up everything including the applications for you.

3. HubChief profile image71

I am afraid that I may use it for phone only and $30 extra would be overspending.

what are features you use most or liek most. Could you please provide user perspective. I do not trust reviews on sales website at all.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well.... It has a fantastic internet set up using the Safari browser, which is capable of achieving pretty much whatever you wish.

It depends on what you do already, personally I broke my 80gb iPod nano and needed a phone anyway, I have always been a blackberry user.

It does everything that my blackberry does, and everything that my iPod does.

I cant really recommend it to you without knowing your existing habits. But for me it is a mobile phone, pda and iPod in one....

Im sure that there are other phones with the same capabilities, but I have no idea which ones... sorry im not your man!

4. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

And yes there is a way of getting an iPhone without paying an extra $30....... it is to way until after xmas!

5. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I considered an iPhone, but if you're into responding to e-mails and texting, the iPhone is pretty tricky to quickly respond back. The reason why I have a smartphone is to respond to e-mails on the road. The iPhone also has LOTS of pocket dialing, a lot more so than a blackberry. (You have to remember to lock it everytime you use it)

I prefer my blackberry curve (not a fan of the blackberry bold because there is no keyboard, just a touch screen). I can type fast on a phone with a qwerty keyboard, but NOT a touch screen (and I have small fingers). The guys that I know do love their iPhones but hate the e-mail part. Answering e-mails for work that appear like you're drunk because it's so hard to type on a touch screen is not my thing. wink

Also, I haven't always been a fan of the iPhone's reception...lots of dropped calls although that also is partly due to what network you're on.

Blackberries are also a lot cheaper and I've never run into any problems with mine. If you're into gaming, then you'd probably want an iPhone.

Also, the iPhone has a great web browser that comes with the phone, but you can download a free Opera browser for any blackberry that works fantastic. (Much better than the generic browser that comes on blackberries)

Sorry, all that info isn't terrible organized or eloquent but I'm in a hurry. smile

Good luck!

6. HubChief profile image71

girly and troy, thank you so much for pointing out the coparisons. This is helpful. I am not into gaming. not in email either. however I have son ericsson currently w580i and here is what I am wanting to add

- regular Stock quote updates
    - google emailing
    - hubpages checking

sounds blackberry or g1 would do job cheaper..

7. bkelly99 profile image57
    bkelly99posted 14 years ago

i have had the iphone for quite a while and i noticed that the more that people r buying these gadgets the more software and spp r available to my use.
    i can literally do anything on my iphone, and i can disguise the software to look like anything. the themes out there r endless. and jailbreaking the device takes it to a whole new level!!

8. mrwerd profile image67
    mrwerdposted 14 years ago

I agree with troyjones; I was an early user of Windows CE/Mobile from years back, but then Google Android came out and I've been extremely impressed (I have done a hub on Android if anyone is interested).  The G1 on T-Mobile seems to be as good as the iPhone and nowhere near as dear.  You can't deny that Apple has got a lot of third parties behind it, but so has Google (and they also develop their own excellent applications, which cannot be ignored when comparing the two companies).  The browser on the G1 is the equal to Safari.  I could regurgitate my hub on this post, but I'll restrain myself and recommend you take a look at it if you are serious about an alternative to the iPhone.

9. word_power76 profile image60
    word_power76posted 14 years ago

As a current Iphone user, i think it is a great phone..just a bit too expensive to own and maintain. G1 phone is much cheaper and I heard it has same functions available now. So, no harm in checking it out..

10. racemels32 profile image60
    racemels32posted 14 years ago

The new touch pro 2 is coming out. It's not as pretty in the graphics catagory but it can do everything the iphone can plus more. It also has a tv out feature and a wifi router program that lets you use your phone as a wireless modem which comes in handy. The touch pro 2 runs windows mobile 6.1 but will be upgradeable to 6.5 and 7 as they are released and htc does a great job of skinning the ui. Every carrier will have it so you wont be locked in to one.

11. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

how ironic i just published a hub on my iphone. I really love the phone. It has helped he a lot..

12. wavegirl22 profile image49
    wavegirl22posted 14 years ago

I love my IPhone! The only drawback is that AT&T is not as good of a carrier as Verizion ( I used to be able to talk without getting a dead signal even in an elevator) So the phone connection is not always as good. .. but there are so many other things on my Iphone that just beat out any window, smartphone, or blackberry. Of course my 20 yr old daughter disagrees with me cause she just cant live without her BBM's!

Apple/Mac for me is the only way to go!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)