I'd like feedback on my article: As Consumers Switch to Digital, Companies Must.

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Jenny Laven profile image60
    Jenny Lavenposted 6 years ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my article As Consumers Switch to Digital, Companies Must Follow (must be signed in to view). What can I do to improve? Thanks!

1. theraggededge profile image98
      theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi there, welcome to HubPages.

Your hub is well-written, but it appears to be a re-hash of similar articles all over the web. There may even be some duplicate content issues, which is probably why the article hasn't been approved. It's not very engaging and it tells us nothing new. Basically the message is "Your customers are increasingly turning to digital so you must too." And that's it.

In your bio, you state you have masses of journalistic experience, so why not write something original and informative? Bring us something new.

Use at least one legal-to-use image. Break up the text into several text capsules, which will allow you to use pertinent sub-headings. Spend some time at the Learning Center

https://hubpageshelp.com/

This might be helpful, but you don't need to use all the bells and whistles it recommends: https://hubpageshelp.com/content/Learni … tellar-Hub

Good luck.

2. chasmac profile image91
    chasmacposted 6 years ago

Duplicate content from a variety of sources such as:

MediaMarketing.com

The most successful companies are using today available large databases to radically personalize the user experience. “Most traditional marketing technology that marketers have learned to use, such as the wide segmentation of consumers and marketing channels, are superfluous in digital marketing,” said Marc Schuuring, a partner at BCG and one of the authors of the report, adding: “These methods have been helpful to marketers ten or more years ago, but now their work has to be based on digital data of consumers.”

Yours

The most successful companies are using today available large databases to radically personalize the user experience. Most traditional marketing technology that marketers learned to use, such as wide segmentation of consumers and marketing channels, are excess in digital marketing. These marketing methods were helpful ten years ago, but now their work has to be based on consumers’ digital data.

The OP must have written that originally. Surely? Someone with her credentials would never plagiarise from another source? Please say it ain't so.

Anyway, giving you the benefit of the doubt, Jenny, and assuming you did write it, you can't republish on HubPages. It has to be new and original content.

1. Jenny Laven profile image60
        Jenny Lavenposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi

Thank you for all your comments. I have read all of them.

I am not the Original Poster of that fragment mentioned above. I confess...

However, I wasn't aware that the system would bounce my article for borrowing a few phrases here and there. I mean, from a 800+ words article surely there has to be a deviation level, am I right?

I didn't knew this would be an issue, and I sincerely am hoping that we can get past this issue...

There is no 'deviation level'. Either you credit the source and clearly mark the text as a quote, or you copy and paste it and pass it off as your own writing. Obviously the second option is an absolute no-no on Hubpages - or anywhere else where you want to maintain your credibility as a writer.

Copy and pasting is theft. Would you be happy if someone stole your work and republished it as their own? And not only that, but published it on a commercial site in the hope of monetary gain?

I am not sure whether Hubpages will allow you to keep your account here. They may see it as a misguided error of judgment and give you another chance.

2. chasmac profile image91
          chasmacposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Well, it's a lot more than a few phrases you've borrowed. That's a whole paragraph. And it's not the only one; there are other paragraphs from other sites. But look at the difference between those two paragraphs. In the original, there is a quote by one Marc Schuuring, presumably an expert in his field. The original post clearly credits him as the author of the quote, but you have removed the quote marks and credit and presented it as if it's you giving out these words of wisdom. Now you're at risk of legal action not only from Mediamarketing.com but also from Marc Schuuring.

3. Rupert Taylor profile image97
    Rupert Taylorposted 6 years ago

Confused in Waterloo. Jenny if you are not the original poster, who is?

"Borrowing a few phrases here and there" is a euphemistic description of theft if you don't credit the original source. I would have thought anybody who is self-described as a journalist would know that.

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

Even 4-5 consecutive words is plagiarism unless they are part of common idiom.  But even if you paraphrased the sentences, it shows you are not writing from your perspective or with any special expertise or insight.  Hubs of that sort tend not to do well.

5. Jenny Laven profile image60
    Jenny Lavenposted 6 years ago

Thank you all for being honest with me.

I wasn't aware personally that I did all of this... I am ashamed of myself.

Please accept my apologies, as I move to another, unique article...

I am going to delete this article from Hubpages, so you will not be able to see it in the future anymore.

Hope that we can have a another, more productive discussion in near future

Sincerely
    Jenny

6. theraggededge profile image98
    theraggededgeposted 6 years ago

Good, put it behind you. Now we're looking forward to something worthy of your talent smile Think lively magazine-style articles, not boring corporate newsletter.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)