Has your career path not been what you expected?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)
  1. vgf1968 profile image59
    vgf1968posted 13 years ago

Has your career path not been what you expected?

I just wrote a hub on the path my life has taken.  I would be interested in seeing what other's paths have been.

2. Alya rose profile image60
    Alya roseposted 13 years ago

My career path almost got started,I wanted to be an Egyptologist,since I've had a passion for Egypt since I was four,but at the last moment I changed my mind and am on a different path which I hope will be enjoyable(not very likely)for me,I just hope I don't change my mind again^_^good luck on your path.

3. MadelynFinley profile image61
    MadelynFinleyposted 13 years ago

My career path has definitely taken some different turns and I'm not where I thought I would be when I was graduating from college but it is not a bad thing!

4. mdscoggins profile image80
    mdscogginsposted 13 years ago

My career path is totally unpredictable as about 6 years ago I was a cosmetologist(hair stylist) then became a certified drug and alcohol counselor for the last 3 years which really turned my career upside down. I am not finishing my BA in Psychology and will be starting in August my doctorate in Clinical Psychology. That is a huge turn around from a hair stylist!!

5. akirchner profile image93
    akirchnerposted 13 years ago

Yes and no - I started at 18 and am still going strong at 57.  In the meantime, have worked in every imaginable setting of medicine, clinics, hospitals, etc. and have owned my own transcription service for 20+ years. 

However, the overuse wear-and-tear on my body and the sad wage that they pay for my 'expertise' makes me look back over it and go 'what?' 

The amount of strain on one's body (and brain) to be a medical transcriptionist in my humble opinion is staggering - and the compensation does not seem equitable especially the older I get.

All this said, to HAVE a job in this day and age, you would have to be insane to complain about it! It is a good job - it is just a very hard and tedious job that is hard for an active sort like me to do day in and day out.  My problem I believe is that I started at 18 and the first time I looked up from the rat race, I was going on 57!

6. RNMSN profile image60
    RNMSNposted 13 years ago

the last five years have been very hard for me...I started nursing in the mid 70's and still just up to 30/hr its insane...and the health ins is often so expensive you cant afford it...but my head is straightening out,It is time to be a there for the younger nures not the one doing all the time and I am praying that I will get an office job supervising instead of out on the home health road providing care...the worst thing I head was in 2008 when i was told "now why would we take our best nurses out of the field to be a supervisor?" it has taken me a while to get over that or to even figure it out!

7. NeilsHotDeals profile image61
    NeilsHotDealsposted 12 years ago

My career path has had many twists and turns.  Considering I am in between jobs, again the best advice I received is to take the time and rebrand myself, which I am doing.  I had spent 15 years in the financial services sector and I would never go back.  Finally had a good 7 year run doing what I love which is marketing and learned web analytics. 
    One slight problem, the consultants were brought in to fix one problem and they stayed to fix the entire company.  I was packaged out late last year.  Landed what I thought would have been a great opportunity.  It was not. 
    Advise, if consultants are brought in and you are directly impacted it is time to go.  If you stop learning while you are your current career path, it is time to invest in yourself and have a exit strategy.

8. KayDeeJay profile image60
    KayDeeJayposted 11 years ago

Well, I am a recent college graduate with an Entertainment Business Bachelor of Science degree. I can't find work within my field. I have applied for internships, but even those programs want someone with actual work experience, not just a degree. 

I am not losing hope yet, but I find it difficult to wake up each day and go to a minimum wage job that is completely out of my field. My student loans will be due soon, and I have nothing to show for it.

Like I said though, I haven't lost hope and continue to apply for new jobs every single day.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)