What are good ways to prevent procrastination?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (20 posts)
  1. ezhang profile image82
    ezhangposted 12 years ago

What are good ways to prevent procrastination?

When I was in college, I always procrastinated for my assignments. As a result my sleep suffered. What would be some good advice to prevent this?

2. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 12 years ago

You could join Procrastinators Anonymous, but they are hard to locate because they are always postponing their meetings.

On the more serious side, I found that when I took a few minutes each day to meditate quietly, I began to think more clearly, have more energy, and get things done without wasting so much time. I didn't understand why, but it worked.

3. micadeolu profile image49
    micadeoluposted 12 years ago

The part of the body one need to overcome is the 'self'. If you are able to overcome yourself and bring it under the control of the intellect, you will be happy at the end.

Learn to achieve this and you'll soon find yourself copying and excelling much.

4. JonLaird profile image59
    JonLairdposted 12 years ago

Hey man,

I can understand this, as I'm also a procrastinator. I suppose the first question might be: What makes you want to procrastinate? Is it because you dread the task? The task bores you? You have other things on your plate? Without determining this, I think that any steps you took to really deal with procrastination would be dealing with the symptoms instead of the problem itself. In fact, without identifying why you're procrastinating in the first place, you might even end up trying techniques which really do little - if anything - to help; it would be like putting a cast on your arm if you have the flu.

Issues with not getting enough sleep can also contribute to procrastination, making it a bit of a cycle: if you're feeling tired, tasks are going to seem much bigger and more complicated than they really are, and the desire to put them off might be stronger.

I also really suggest trying mindfulness practice. It will help you connect with what's really going on in the present moment, which will make identifying why you are procrastinating much easier.

Hopefully this helped somewhat. I wish you the best, man!

5. rwelton profile image60
    rweltonposted 12 years ago

ezhang

...hmmm, let me think on it and I'll get back to you tomorrow...

rlw

6. edhan profile image36
    edhanposted 12 years ago

I used to be like that but have changed ever since. I now pin my todo list on the computer since I am at the computer most of my time.

When I look at the list, I tell myself on the task - this will take me 10 minutes to do, so I just get up and do the job.

The next round when I sit at my computer again, I will see the next task. Again I tell myself the job is only another 20 minutes, so I will go and do it.

So, this will carry on till I have finished my daily tasks and I still have spare time to relax and spend on other stuff.

7. ThunderKeys profile image62
    ThunderKeysposted 12 years ago

1. Get a piece of paper and a watch.

2. write a descriptive "work" or "task list" of the specific tasks you are most likely  to procrastinate on (i.e. homework, piano lessons, house work etc).

3. Make a list of your most desired activities for the day, that have the least likelihood of procrastination, - "rewarding" or "desired activities" (i.e. playing video games, writing hubs, watching TV hanging out with friends).

4. Prioritize your work task list from the least to the most desirable.

5. Prioritize your rewarding activity list from the most to the least desirable.

6. Set a time period for each work task on your task list (i.e. 30 minutes of math homework; 30 minutes of piano practice; 20 minutes of house work etc). 

7. Assign a time period for your desired or reward time (i.e. 30 minutes of TV; 1 hour of hub writing; 20 minutes of video games etc...)

8. Make your final task list for the day to guide your activity. Always start with the most difficult and undesired task first and end with the easiest.

9. Make sure that the most rewarding activity follows the most difficult or undesired work task for the day. Make sure that the the easiest work task is followed by the least rewarding, but still desirable reward activity. Your lists from step 2 and 3 should simply align  in this way, from least to most rewarding, on both sides.

Make sure that you take a break after each undesired or difficult task and do a desired or rewarding activity right afterword for the reasonably allotted time, from step 3.

Doing the difficult tasks will become easier and easier for you as time goes by because you are structuring your time and because you are using rewarding activities to positively reinforce the undesired activities.

This transfers motivation from the desired activity (playing a video game) to a less desired activity (practicing piano or doing math homework).

Use your watch to measure and to gradually increase your time on undesired tasks and decrease your time on desired tasks (especially unhealthy reward behaviors).

You can also experiment with shorter work and periods and shorter reward periods (20 minutes of math questions and 10 minutes of video games etc) to find what works best for you.

Gradual increases in the time you spend on tasks you would usually procrastinate on will really help stave off the procrastination. Smaller, well reinforced changes over time are best here.

Hope that helps,
    - Duddy,

8. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 12 years ago

I have discovered a process I call Zero pointing based on Maslow's Heirarchy of needs and some Fung Shui principles. Once I complete this I make short lists until I get back into the swing of things. When I say short I mean only three things. And many times they are simple things. Then I reward myself somehow and in someway. I plan to write a hub on this process once I stop anwering questions and hubhopping , , ,two tools I use to procrastinate writing a hub - LOL.

9. jtyler profile image60
    jtylerposted 12 years ago

You should do everything up at first.  After you've been doing that for a while, you should start to plan more to keep a consistant amount of work during the time period.

10. LuisEGonzalez profile image82
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

I just do what I need to do on the spot and get it over with, which in turn leads to more free time.

11. kootheancheah profile image61
    kootheancheahposted 12 years ago

Having a goal is very important to help you stay focused. Otherwise, you tend to drift and procrastinate. And always write down a list of things you have to do. Tick them as you get them done. This will give you a sense of accomplishment and prevent you from procrastinating.

12. wrinklestudent profile image59
    wrinklestudentposted 12 years ago

As ThunderKeys said, make sure that you're rewarding yourself for a job well done. If you know you have to finish something you don't like to be able to do something you do, you'll finish it so you can move on. Whether I'm planning to poke around online or not, I always seem to want to in the middle of a long and boring task. I just schedule internet breaks where I can 'procrastinate' without derailing my schedule and manage to get everything done 'on time'.

13. fdoleac profile image62
    fdoleacposted 12 years ago

Have others hold you accountable.  Coaches, mentors, parents.

14. TIDSimon profile image61
    TIDSimonposted 12 years ago

It is reason or results.

Remind yourself that uncompleted matters today will become an even bigger monster tomorrow!

So, start doing it now!

15. profile image57
    kdawsonposted 12 years ago

I can't say.  I usually just go with it.

16. Chasing Riley profile image83
    Chasing Rileyposted 12 years ago

Something like 80% of your results come from 20% of your activity. We typically spend our time on the ineffective tasks instead of the important 20%.
    My advice:
    1. Figure out what your top 3 goals are
    2. Figure out the top 3 things you can do every day to achieve those goals.
    3. Do those things first - no matter what.
    4. Don't waste time on facebook, TV, etc...
    5. Read the book - Eat that Frog by Brian Tracy. It's the answer you are looking for.

17. Rock_nj profile image91
    Rock_njposted 12 years ago

Start writing something or doing some work.  Even if it's not good at first, at least you have ended the inertia of doing nothing and are starting your assignment.  I use that strategy when I procrastinate about writing.  I just start writing something, and then let it snowball from there.

18. rjsadowski profile image69
    rjsadowskiposted 12 years ago

I'm not sure , but let me think about it.

19. jg555 profile image60
    jg555posted 12 years ago

I would say,....don't think about procrastinating. Just do whatever it is you have to do.

20. oopsydoopsygirl profile image60
    oopsydoopsygirlposted 12 years ago

Make a list. (Just don't procrastinate on making the list in the first place)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)