Where are the best places to adopt a good family dog?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. K9keystrokes profile image84
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

Where are the best places to adopt a good family dog?

2. Recipe Gal profile image64
    Recipe Galposted 12 years ago

I reccomend petfinder.com.  It will let you see a listing of many of the shelter animals in your area.  All the dogs at shelters are not going to be well suited to be family dogs, but a lot of them are!  My parents have 3 wonderful, gentle, well trained dogs all from shelters!

3. Mr Grimwig profile image58
    Mr Grimwigposted 12 years ago

Rescues or shelters that have their dogs in foster homes. If the dog you're adopting was in a foster home, you'll know more about it's temperament, behavior in a variety of situations, etc. than if the dog has mostly been in a cage barking for attention. Plus, dogs in shelters will often be stressed out, so you'll get a more accurate impression of a dog's temperament if it's in a foster home.

Just my two cents, though. smile

4. Choxy profile image63
    Choxyposted 12 years ago

A lot of dogs from shelters make great family dogs. It's important to take the dog for a walk yourself, play with the dog, and see how it interacts with other animals and people at the shelter. The first thing my husband and I noticed about our dog when looking at the shelter was that she was the only one to not jump up and down barking in the cage when we walked in. Don't rush through the process. A dog is a big responsibility and is going to be a member of your family. Good luck!

5. craftybegonia profile image61
    craftybegoniaposted 12 years ago

We adopted Buddy, our first dog, from a breeder of Great Pyrinee dogs, he was an "accident". His mom a pure breed had him with an Australian Shepherd, and the breeder wanted to get rid of him. Buddy was a superb dog. Loving, loyal and a great watchdog. When he died, we went to the local Pound, and were fortunate enough to find two pure breed Australian Shepherds there, brother and sister, marled brown with golden eyes and super smart which had been abused and abandoned by their previous owner.
    They are great dogs (mischievous, but fun) and have more than filled the aching void left by Buddy's death. So, if you visit your local animal society, you don't know what you might find. It could be the best dog you ever had! Check breeders too, they might have a puppy that is not part of the breed they are trying to sell, and you might get him for a very reasonable price or even for free!

6. Honest Reality profile image60
    Honest Realityposted 12 years ago

I've always been in the mind of rescuing animals. Only once have I found it to not be the right match. The latest little guy to come into our home is a chiweenie. He was 6 months old, and this time around I was looking for something small, I usually go large because they have more difficulty being rescued, but this time it just wasn't an option. So, I checked the humane society several times, they had big dogs or little puppies. I looked on craigslist several times in surrounding towns even. I finally found this guy, he was 6 months old, and I contacted the owner. Who told me several things, that I found not quite truthful. When I got him, he was under weight, stunk of cigarette smoke, wasn't housebroken (if he went on a pad, it was only because you put it under him at the right moment), and was scared to death to go for a walk.
    Within 2 weeks he was making great strides to let me know when he needed to go out, and had become to love going for walks, he has become quite the funny, sweet pup that I knew he was from the first time I saw him and he grabbed hole of my wrist and would not let go.
    Two months later he is totally adjusted and although he as some funny quirks, it's just his silly personality. I think rescuing always makes the best and most loyal dogs....they are like people that have been in bad situations, they appreciate the good ones and the love of a family.

7. profile image55
    consentinoposted 12 years ago

If you have a PetSmart in your area, I would adopt there.  My son works for them in the corporate and they are an excellent store.  Many of our friends and family members have adopted there.  Also have a great dog sitting service.

petsareagift.com

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)