What happened to education?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)
  1. daskittlez69 profile image75
    daskittlez69posted 12 years ago

What happened to education?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5450195_f260.jpg

2. Mr. Happy profile image70
    Mr. Happyposted 12 years ago

Those in power do not care much about the public educational system as they can afford private schools. So, the common men can stay uneducated - it's easier to control them that way and easier to feed them crap on the stupid box.
    I see a lot of walking zombies ...

3. Seeker7 profile image81
    Seeker7posted 12 years ago

I agree with Mr Happy and his opinion that the powers that be don't give a hoot about public education.

But also, many suggest it is the teaching methods that are being used at present, but not being a teacher I can't comment on that. What I can say is that, I've received hundreds of application forms from youngsters looking for a job. Within those hundreds, I can gurantee, without exaggeration, that there is about 30% that are written in good English - spelling, grammar, punctuation etc. The rest are shocking. If I didn't know better I would honestly have thought that some of the forms had been written by a 7 year old! So something has and is going badly amiss with our standards of education. I also think, in the UK at least, there is too much of a softly, softly approach in schools that obviously just makes a lot of kids think the school is joke and not to be taken seriously. Doesn't make the teacher's job any easier.

In addition though there are other worrying trends especially in primary schools, (UK). We have had headlines here over the past 2 days about kids as young as 4 and 5 assaulting teachers at school with objects such as bricks! But when you think about it, the whole of society at present is going nuts - no discipline, no self-respect, no moral codes - or very little. Money is god and nothing else matters - and this includes things such as education.

4. seicheprey profile image60
    seichepreyposted 12 years ago

How so?  I bemoan the lack of classical education, but that's because I focus on the literary and languages.  You put a really broad question out there.smile

5. profile image0
    AlienWednesdayposted 12 years ago

i agree with Mr. Happy.

This is why I choose to homeschool my children and completely agree with seicheprey also.

6. edhan profile image36
    edhanposted 12 years ago

Education is a stepping stone to the working world.

With proper education, we will be guided as what we will be facing in the working world. Some educations are good in certain schools while others may not. But most important will be the value that we can learn in school.

It is for the good of everyone in the education system. Some will understand while others may not. Bottom line, it is always for the good of younger generations. We are here to guide them as we venture through their lives.

7. profile image0
    Tanmoy Acharyaposted 12 years ago

Whatever happened to creativity---happened a long time ago I believe.That was to subtract creativity from education.

8. kj force profile image61
    kj forceposted 12 years ago

It's thirty years later and were are no further ahead regarding education, oh excuse me I forgot, Now we can't do the pledge of allegiance and say "God" and heaven forbid we use the term "Christmas " and heaven forbid we violate some child’s right to wear, to say etc...when we went to school and a teacher reprimanded us. .you knew when you got home you were in for it.. now we just text parents and our attorney shows up. Now you have an option to take gym...but obesity is the majority. .so what's wrong with 30 minutes of sweating(if you can even break one in that time)..No I wouldn't want the job of being a teacher, although let's jump on the band wagon and punish teachers because of bad parenting, when our children don't do well on FCAT....
    just a thought, what do you out there think..I want to hear from parents ,teachers. .past and present..

9. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 12 years ago

Well, let's talk details. Few American young adults can name the continents, can name the oceans, or can even locate India on a map. That's probably a problem for world's largest global commercial power and for the only military superpower in the world (with troops in over a hundred countries). If you ask American teens how the US got involved in places like Puerto Rico or ask them why people in New Orleans spoke French, you get a blank stare. American history is taught in inoffensive highlights with essential facts about society left completely out. As a result, the subject is boring, though it tries to present some "noble" wars as the major highlights that break up an otherwise dull marathon of political nonsense. I responded to a Hub question earlier where a group of people postulated that the Pyramids of Giza were built by aliens, and not humans. Literature teachers probably have the toughest time, because they are competing with television, internet, and film. The government can do something about this mess and this should be the easiest solution to this one of our many problems. It should be easy. Nobody should want Old Empresario to write essays about John Quincy Adams or James Buchanan just to teach kids who the heck they were and what they actually did.

10. profile image47
    pmpaustraliaposted 12 years ago

The problem is that we are using a factory system to 'produce' unskilled labor. Each kid has his / her own traits which are never really recognized by the system. The greatest thing education can do is teach you to think for yourself which it really isn't doing at the time.
    http://www.amacademyonline.com/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)