I have a little oak tree growing in a pot. He had two leaves, now he only has on

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)
  1. Mr. Happy profile image70
    Mr. Happyposted 12 years ago

I have a little oak tree growing in a pot. He had two leaves, now he only has one ...

If anyone has any tips in helping my little friend survive in the pot that he is in until the spring, I would greatly appreciate it? Thank You and all the best!

2. davenmidtown profile image67
    davenmidtownposted 12 years ago

Oaks typically lose their leaves in the winter as they store energy in their root ball. The leaves and many more will return in the spring. In the meantime... put the pot in a sheltered area so that pot and roots do not get overly cold or freeze.  Sometimes (if pot is small enough) you can put it in a garbage bag and then fill the bag with straw.

3. MickS profile image61
    MickSposted 12 years ago

Is it a decidious oak, if so it will naturally lose its leaves.  Even in a pot it will need to grow outside all year, ther is no such thing as an indoor tree.  Have you ever seen a tree grow naturally indoors.
    Trees growing in pots tend to be less vigourous than trees growing in the ground and will require some sort of protection from the elements, some shade in the summer, frost and wind protection in tthe winter, there is no need to protect from snow as it insulates from other extremes.
    Try a good book on bonsai, anything by  Peter Adams, his books are readilly avaiilable and should give enough tips.  He now, I believe , lives in the USA and has a good following.
    Alternatively see some of my bonsai hubs or the others on site to find some help.

4. Infobrowser profile image74
    Infobrowserposted 12 years ago

I have succesfulyy grown two apple trees from seed. One 'Crips Pink' (about 4ft) and the other 'Pink Lady' (about 1.5 ft) - two of my favourite varieties. The smaller they are the more care and attention they need. I initially had about 4 of the smaller ones but a 'mildew' problem appeared on them because the atmosphere in my front porch was too humid. (I had kept them in there for the winter to give them a mild temperature which they seem to appreciate). This problem seems to be more common with fruit trees though and I managed to fix it eventually with an antifungicidal spray, but since I took to long to do this only one had survived. I will be prepared this time round!!

I've heard on a gardening program that keeping pots next to the walls of your house outside keeps them as much as 2 degrees C higher than anywhere else in the garden. Also, in winter they still require a little water, but be carefull not to over do it. Just a little amount of moistness is usually good.

The roots may need room for quick expansion in the spring but there will be little growth if the weather is cold. Frost is the biggest threat I would say. There are covers you can buy for plants that allow light to permeate yet keep some warmth in. If you choose to keep it outside, next to any windows might be ideal because of the heat they can emit from in the house.

...Got carried away there with my long ass answer. Hope it was useful.

5. samsons1 profile image60
    samsons1posted 12 years ago

go ahead and set the tree outside in the ground.  It will do much better on it's own and after all, oak trees are use to a natural environment as opposed to a pot, inside...

6. Mr. Happy profile image70
    Mr. Happyposted 12 years ago

I want to thank everyone for the answers to my question. I will for sure plant the tree outside when spring comes, it`s just as a thin as it is now I did not think it would survive the winter. Thus, I kept it inside.

When the snow melts and the ground de-freezes, I will certainly put it outside.

Many thanks for the answers. Cheers!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)