Should Newt Gingrich's marital issues hinder his bid for the GOP nomination?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. JamesPoppell profile image72
    JamesPoppellposted 12 years ago

Should Newt Gingrich's marital issues hinder his bid for the GOP nomination?

2. Mark Monroe profile image68
    Mark Monroeposted 12 years ago

No, he has many other issues that will hinder his bid for the GOP nomination.

3. xethonxq profile image66
    xethonxqposted 12 years ago

No, but he doesn't have a chance in hell of winning anyway.

4. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 12 years ago

It would depend on exactly what his issues consisted of.  If he was an abusive spouse maybe.  If he just cheated on his wife (s) no.  I don't like him at all, but I don't think his past marital decisions alone should exclude him.  Maybe in combination with other factors though.  I'll be curious to see what happens with tonight's interview, and if GOP voters practice what they preach and make him pay for not following "traditional" values.

5. UnnamedHarald profile image91
    UnnamedHaraldposted 12 years ago

Within reason, I don't expect the leader of a nation to be perfect. Being as pure as driven snow does not qualify a person to lead. Just about everybody has skeletons in their closets, but what I can't stand is the fact that, when Newt was excoriating Clinton for his affair with Lewinski and thundering on about family values, etc, etc, ol' Newt was porking his own mistress. That, I cannot abide.

6. GoGreenTips profile image59
    GoGreenTipsposted 12 years ago

I think all this is just a diversion, frankly it wouldn't matter to me what the private life was of any elected official if they solved some of the deep problems that plague this country.

The question should be to voters will he help this country and can he lead it, many of our great leaders had less than perfect personal or family lives.

7. NiaLee profile image60
    NiaLeeposted 12 years ago

Frankly, anything that reveals the personality traits of the leader of such a country needs to be assessed. Now, he seems to be a man who doesn't not respect anybody he can get away with crushing. Yes, people make mistakes but he can try to wash himself of but some things can't be ignored or dismissed, some people either.
    Somebody who repeatedly make some huge mistakes or just don't have principle is not trustworthy.
    He just doesn't come across as a person that we can trust in many department...the motto seems to be anything that pleases me, I will cry later!

8. lostdogrwd profile image60
    lostdogrwdposted 12 years ago

yes it should. do you want a 1st lady who was a mistress for eights years. this country been in invasion war for 10 years now. it time to elect Ron Paul so our country can be rebuild, bring home the troop and start to look after the U S. the Patriot Act, NDAA, SOPA AND THE REPEAL of Glass Steagall Act are all act and law against the U S people.and Paul the only man running for President  telling the people about it

9. profile image0
    SJmorningsun25posted 12 years ago

In his as in all politicians' lives, we cannot expect perfection (as UnnamedHarald has already said). However, the different parts of people's lives cannot be compartmentalized to the extent that a person's character in the privacy of their own home has no relation to their public character. As the saying goes, "truth will out," and a person's underlying character will eventually be revealed. If the shock of discovering someone's sordid history and current misbehaviors can cause him (or her) to be impeached, forced to resign, or otherwise disgraced while IN office (think of Bill Clinton, Richard Nixon, John Edwards, Mark Sanford), should not those same considerations prevent him (or her) from attaining office at all?

Personally, I would not vote for someone who we already know could not show fidelity to his wife and family when no one else was looking. Why should his public character be any different?

10. terrektwo profile image80
    terrektwoposted 12 years ago

I think public opinion on politician's personal lives will always effect the vote. Realistically any politicians personal life has nothing to do with whether they can do well in a political office or even run the country but people are always swayed by what they think. Media will push their own agendas and that includes putting the dirty laundry of the politicians they don't like on the front page. The more people that see it the more it'll effect things.

11. Ms Dee profile image86
    Ms Deeposted 12 years ago

Such similar things did not hinder a lot of former presidents from getting the job, so why start now?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)