How does Obama have time to campaign and be on TV with so many issues going on?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (32 posts)
  1. izettl profile image88
    izettlposted 11 years ago

How does Obama have time to campaign and be on TV with so many issues going on?

I've just been wondering how Obama allocates his time between business and campaigning. With turmoil overseas and problems in the U.S, I get a little upset seeing Obama on the Late Night Show or on TV shows. I'm thinking he has better things to do, but is it typical for presidents to place so much emphasis on campaigning? It seems that's all he does now.

2. profile image0
    Old Poolmanposted 11 years ago

Laura, we all have to set priorities when it comes to our available time, and it looks like Obama has made the campaign his number one priority.  I can't fault him for this, and I suspect that many of his adviser's are just as glad he is out on the campaign trail while they deal with the serious problems we face today.  I would not wish to be in his shoes right now with all the highly important decisions that need to be made concerning the Middle East and all the protests.

izettlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Concerning all the major issues right now, I guess that's why I started womdering why he's on various TV shows just for publicity.

2. profile image50
      shruthishreegandiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

what??????he doesnt do things for publicity,all he did is to make his people happy.!!!

3. AlexDrinkH2O profile image75
    AlexDrinkH2Oposted 11 years ago

He is obviously more interested in getting reelected than governing and he has been behaving like this for months.

1. profile image50
      jh720posted 11 years agoin reply to this

What is there to govern right now? Congress is in recess yet again....they are the ones who pass laws, not the president.

4. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 11 years ago

He doesn't ! Nor does any President !  Or any politician for that matter .  But thats okay .....they get paid anyways !

5. pagesvoice profile image72
    pagesvoiceposted 11 years ago

During an election cycle all incumbent presidents are out on the campaign trail. Regardless whether you are pro Obama or not, every president hits the radio, television and any and all other means of communicating their message to the masses. A president is constantly in the loop, via their inner circle, regarding what is happening both domestically and internationally. They must master the art of multitasking and quite frankly, I don't know how anyone can accomplish all of the tasks at hand. It is easy to Monday morning quarterback, but I wouldn't want the job of president, for all the tea in China.

No I wouldn't want to be president either, but in a regualr job when faced with many things to do at once, I would just prioritize and being on TV would never come before taking care of the bigger things.

2. profile image50
      shruthishreegandiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

though he is in campaign his concentration is only on serving for the nation ,which makes him to do both!!!!!!!!

6. peoplepower73 profile image89
    peoplepower73posted 11 years ago

Even as we speak there are three destroyers steaming towards Libiya.  And drones overlooking all the areas in turmoil in the mid-east.  He was able to go to a press conference roast and take out Osama Bin Laden at the same time. What do you want him to do stop his campaigning and what do you expect from him as far as the mid-east turmoil goes on between now and election time? Do you think just because he is campaigning, he doesn't have people on the job?

1. profile image0
      Old Poolmanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Keep in mind he didn't have to strap on his guns and go with the Seal Team to take out Bin Laden.  All he had to do was give his OK.  So it was entirely possible for him to do both the roast and the mission at one time.

2. peoplepower73 profile image89
      peoplepower73posted 11 years agoin reply to this

He also doesn't have to be on the bow of one of those destroyers that are steaming to the middle east or fly the drones.

3. profile image0

I guess I don't get the point of your last comment.

4. peoplepower73 profile image89

He doesn't have to be on those ships that are off the coast of Libya, he just has to command the operation and continue his campaigning.

5. profile image0

Obama doesn't plan missions.  He doesn't even attend security briefings.

6. peoplepower73 profile image89

Old Poolman: And how do you know that?

7. profile image0

Because he never even served in the Military and would not have a clue how to do it.  Thankfully, he has advisers for that.

7. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago
  8. Attikos profile image81
    Attikosposted 11 years ago

Obama hasn't a clue what to do about matters of state, but he knows how to campaign. That's what he does. It's what he always has done, nothing else. What should we expect now?

I was wondering if I was the only one thinking Obama does an awful lot of campaigning and TV shows for pubicity. I don't watch a lot of TV but stuck turned on the other day and him and his wife were everywhere on various shows, not a press release..

9. FIS profile image73
    FISposted 11 years ago

Beats me but then again, I've asked this question about every president since I started paying attention back with Richard Nixon.

I remember my Republican parents and Grandparents complaining that they expected Eisenhower to be a truly great president but were disappointed because all he ever did was play golf. As a student of history I've since learned that Eisenhower as a "do nothing" was pretty much a public facade and that behind the scenes he truly was a great president.

Unlike many, I was never a fan of Ronald Reagan, I went to school near DC in those days an unlike many, I still remember the homeless encampment that set up in the park across the street from the White House during his recession and when he threw most federally supported mental patients out in the street. There were a lot of rumors in those days that he wasn't really in charge.. that he was befuddled and that his advisers really ran things. Turns out he really was very much in charge though no one seemed to know it at the time and, no one remembers that homeless colony anymore. A friend of mine had a cartoon of Santa Claus going over his list and bringing up members of his cabinet and staff. They were all adjudged naughty and federal crimes they were accused of were brought up. But when the elf read Reagan's name off the list, he was judged to be nice. The Elf seemed shocked that all his advisers could be naughty and the man himself could be nice. Santa just said "he seems so nice." 

It's all a matter of perception and what you see on TV. Nobody who isn't there really knows what's going on or how much time is being devoted to anything. How much you see someone on TV during a campaign has almost nothing to do with what is really going on.

Many of the presidents have been misrepresented and who knows how much they can take credit for. presidents in past have been on tV but  Obama on Late night Jay Leno TV show- first president to be on there. It's like he's selling himself.

2. pagesvoice profile image72
      pagesvoiceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry Izetti, but in order to stay relevant in an ever changing world of communication, if Obama wasn't on those shows someone else would be. I guess a staged and prerecorded show on Kelly Live was okay for Willard and Ann? Come on.

10. bubbawayne profile image59
    bubbawayneposted 11 years ago

No matter who's in office, or where they are, the ability to run the white house is right at their fingertips. Even when he's playing golf, he's probably near Air Force I, which has a command center enabling him to do the same thing as if he were back at the office.
    If you'll notice, whenever and wherever he's walking, there's someone near his side with a black bag. Inside that bag is all he needs to communicate with whomever he needs to talk to.. as well as being able to declare nuclear war if need be.

He has people with him that are in constant communication with many departments.

Just as G.W. Bush was notified immediately on 9/11 while he read to school kids.

No matter where they are, they are still in full control..

11. StandingJaguar profile image68
    StandingJaguarposted 11 years ago

Any president, including Obama, has a ton of people working for them, processing information, and creating his schedule. An hour on Late Night doesn't stop him from working at his mobile command center to and from the show. If the president didn't come on TV or the internet every once in a while, people would wonder what the heck he was doing. To be relevant in this day and age, you must have a presence on TV and the internet. He has time to do it because an entire staff sets it up, and he just has to show up, then back to work.

12. dontaytte profile image76
    dontaytteposted 11 years ago

That's because he knows how to multi task, unlike bush was who sat there at a school while the world trade center was burning trying to figure out if he should move or not.

1. profile image0

Your kidding right?  Where on earth did you get this information?  I would be genuinely interested in your source as this is the first time I have heard this.

2. dontaytte profile image76
      dontaytteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just watch the video when he got the information and how he sat there

3. Attikos profile image81
      Attikosposted 11 years agoin reply to this

He showed great poise. The demwits made a political smear of it, and like much lower grade political propaganda it stuck in the minds of some as a fact. The retardicans tend to let such lies speak for themselves. It's a mistake. They take root.

13. profile image50
    jh720posted 11 years ago

Every incumbent president has juggled campaigning with their current responsibilities as President. We just notice it more in the era of tv and mass media.

14. atotsm profile image60
    atotsmposted 11 years ago

Romney is chosen, so Obama would be re-elected without any difficulties.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)