Why is the right so silent about Octomom being on welfare with 14 children?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Xenonlit profile image61
    Xenonlitposted 12 years ago

Why is the right so silent about Octomom being on welfare with 14 children?

It would seem that Nadya Suleman would be a regular talking point for the anti welfare, pro life crowd. She seems to meet all of their desires for unlimited childbirth and makes them furious at the same time!

2. profile image0
    SJmorningsun25posted 12 years ago

"Pro-life" doesn't necessarily mean seeking out ways to have as many kids as possible, all at once. I certainly don't speak for the whole "right," but being pro-life and advocating for fertility-treatment-induced, multiple births are two different things. I suspect that disconnect is the reason for what you call "silence."

Also, I take issue with your phrase "their desires for unlimited childbirth." "Pro-life" means not aborting an unborn child because it's inconvenient for you to have one; Suleman WANTED kids,  pursued fertility treatments, and allowed a doctor to implant all those embryos, willingly. I am definitely pro-life, but would never do what she did because I know my own limits--both personal and financial. What she did was unwise.

This, at least, is my take on the situation.

Xenonlitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh come on. We know that the pro life movement is paranoid about becoming a racial minority. But to declare war on women without answering for their own messes is going to far.

2. profile image0
      SJmorningsun25posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Xenonlit: You are continuing to generalize about a "movement" you know nothing about. This is no war on women; this is a war against murdering children.

3. Conservative Lady profile image69
      Conservative Ladyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Very well answered SJ - I completely agree with your approach to this question!

4. veritorogue profile image60
      veritorogueposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Xenonlit's comment is truly assumptive and distorts reality to support her fantasy that conservatives are some evil conglomerate. There is no war on women. Pro-life people>paranoid>"racial" minority, huh? Make a cogent argument, this isn't Face

5. Xenonlit profile image61

Bull. I do more research and analysis in a week than most right wingers in their lifetimes. The tactics of judge, attack, lie and deny is not working on the American people any more. Know what you're talking about before you talk.

3. WD Curry 111 profile image57
    WD Curry 111posted 12 years ago

I'm an Independent, so I am right and left wing. I flap them both and take right off. Who is worried about her? She is a personality on paparazzi TV. I am concerned with the moms in my community who are struggling. No matter how they got there, they need a way out.

4. veritorogue profile image60
    veritorogueposted 12 years ago

Most conservatives recognize society's responsibility to ensure the welfare of children no matter how reckless and parasitic their dysfunctional parents are. Furthermore, criticizing a single mother is never a good political move. I don't know what your statement about conservative's "desires for unlimited childbirth" means. Do you propose limiting childbirth? Forced abortions? Pro-life is based on morality not politics. I myself don't pay much attention to the voyeuristic exploitation of idiots for entertainment so this woman is of little concern to me. I just don't want to subsidize her irresposibility.

5. pagesvoice profile image74
    pagesvoiceposted 12 years ago

Great question! Although those who have opposing views don't like to admit it, the fact remains, there is a war on women and it is perpetrated by the right. So...why aren't they asking for Octomom to be drug tested and God knows what else? The most amazing thing about the pro life movement is the overwhelming majority of males who attempt to inflict their skewed views on the rest of society. Well, brace yourselves because the MAJORITY has had enough and will fight back tooth and nail come November. Okay...bring on the down votes because I speak the truth.

1. veritorogue profile image60
      veritorogueposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Can you back up your statement that there is a war on women? Not giving someone something for free cannot equate to a war on women. Pro life is simply about protecting innocent human life.

2. Xenonlit profile image61

I see what you mean, pagesvoice! the comeback to your comment is the same specious argument that is boring us all to death. It is as evil to have babies that can't be cared for as it is to neglect and kill the children who have been born.

6. Credence2 profile image77
    Credence2posted 12 years ago

Xenolit, even though there is a difference between responsible childbearing and aborting children as part of population control, the political right will not subject its minions to the fine distinctions. They would much rather champion this woman's desire to bring life into the world even if it is irresponsible over confusing the red meat crowd with nuanced mixed messages. This woman is a poster child, I certainly know that the rabid right would not be so accomodating to say an unwed mother in the inner city who finds herself under comparable circumstance. 

Rightwingers are so transparent in regards to their reasoning....

Thanks, Credence. The right can't explain their own problems with children who they want to do without medical, food, school and every other program that they themselves enjoyed as children.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)