What can be done to better raise awareness on the issue of Domestic Violence?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)
  1. MsLofton profile image60
    MsLoftonposted 11 years ago

What can be done to better raise awareness on the issue of Domestic Violence?

2. dashingscorpio profile image78
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

I'm not sure if there is a way to increase awareness. Right now it's up there with cigarette smoking; people know it's bad but they keep on doing it. Anyone who is being abused need only do a couple of google searches to find a shelter or some type of assistance. Everyone is also aware they can call the police by dialing 911.
    The real problem is figuring out how to get someone to raise their self-esteem to a point where they will walk out of a relationship for good (the minute) they see their mate has a violent temper whether it's hitting a wall or hitting them.
    Each of us gets to choose (our own) friends, lovers, and spouse. Unfortunately the government can't stop someone from making bad choices in their personal lives. I have actually heard a woman state: "I like my men to have some thug in them."  Some people confuse violence and jealousy with passion and love. They'd be bored without the drama. This explains why it's common for victims of domestic violence to have a pattern of entering into these types of relationships.

We can punish the abuser, force her or him to go to anger managemet classes, issue restraining orders and so forth. However the person who needs the most help mentally is the person who doesn't believe they deserve better or could do better when it comes to finding love. Last but not least it's not smart to initiate violence by slapping someone and (expecting not to get hit back). More often than you might imagine the person who gets beat down is the person who "started" the physical altercation. I've never understood the logic of throwing something at someone, slapping, scratching or following them from room to room yelling at them in an effort to get them riled up. And if it is a man who gets slapped/hit and he calls the police to file charges he is considered a whimp! There are no DV shelters for men! http://dashingscorpio.hubpages.com/hub/ … -Hit-A-Man

3. MsLofton profile image60
    MsLoftonposted 11 years ago

Thanks for sharing! I enjoyed your answer..there are intact some shelters for men though. Being a survivor and a advocate for Domestic Violence, I can understand from many different angles. I advocate for men, women, and children. You are right that the person who is allowing themselves to be abused does need help but both of them need help. The abuser and the abusee. The problem with restraining orders is that they simply rarely work, there have been numerous people who have gotten restraining orders and their abusers still didn't leave them alone. Yes 911 seems the right way to go but depending on the type of officer you get, that may not help either. Some people do not have access to a computer or anything. Domestic violence is simply a form of control, some people are controlled to the point where they simply cannot do anything and if they try they are told they will be killed and their children(if they have any) they will be killed as well. I know a couple of people who have survived severe causes of Domestic Violence and never went back to the that person so it is possible to leave. and In my case I was not the one to start an altercation to get "abused" per say in return more often than you may imagine, it doesn't always happened like that and no matter who hit who first, we have to learn self-control and better ways to handle situations.

1. dashingscorpio profile image78
      dashingscorpioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

MsLoton, I agree with you that restraining orders are for the most part sheets of papers. I suppose all rule of law is to some extent. No two abuse cases are exactly a like. This contains a CDC study http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jul/

4. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 11 years ago

i think everyone is aware of it but part of the problem is people who are part of it need to stand up for themselves more. women or men who go back to spouses that abuse them are part of the problem and it drives me crazy. if you are being abused, leave and don't go back no matter what. if you can't get away, fight back hard. there isn't an abuser in the world who can stand up against a gun and just one shot in the leg will make them leave and never bother you again.

MsLoftonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

nightwork4 yes people going back to the person that is harming them is hard to understand for some and it takes a lot of courage to do but many abusers have a gun or some sort of control which can stop a person from leaving but it can be done.

5. cherriquinn profile image74
    cherriquinnposted 11 years ago

Ms Lofton
    Hi. My work also involves supporting women and children fleeing domestic violence. Of course I am aware that men too are also victims ,but statistically speaking it is usually something which affects women more. It is a very complex area as I'm sure you're aware and often has alot of related issues. I don't think generally people understand how controlling the perpetrator can become to the point as you say, where the victims are helpless or have been psychologically damaged so much that they start to accept this behaviour as the norm. In my experience many of the women have attempted to leave on several occasions before actually making the final move. This has usually been when the abuse has turned onto the children or the real threat of that happening has become apparent. It is not just a matter of simply walking away as some think. There are many issues,too many to discuss here but I think at least domestic violence is now more recognised by the authorities as a cime and not just a 'tiff' between two individuals co-habiting. There is still a long way to go. Educating women and men on specific traits of an abuser can be helpful, as it is a form of power and control as you rightly point out. It is a deliberate act and there can never be any excuses.

MsLoftonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank You Cherriquinn for your response. I agree with you I think many do not understand how controlling the perpetrator can be. I definitely agree that education women and men on specific traits can definitely be helpful.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)