Best dog food?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Ari Lamsteinposted 11 years ago

Best dog food?

What is the best food for a dog?  I just adopted a dog, and the shelter where I got him from recommended that I feed him the "Science Diet" brand.  But a friend of mine recommended that I make my dog's food myself.  Who is right?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6633845_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    twodawgsposted 11 years ago

Start by talking to your vet.  But I will share what I've learned from over 30 years of caring for dogs, and observing first-hand the long-term effects of one diet over another.

A lot of people assume that feeding dogs more of a "human" diet is better for them, or assume that, since it would be really bad for people to eat dog food, food made for dogs must not be very good for dogs, either.  Not true.  Dogs have different dietary needs than humans, so you're not doing the dog any favors giving him/her a human diet.

The best way to evaluate the quality of the food is to look at the results you see in other dogs that have been given the food.  If the food has a good track record of keeping dogs healthy, strong, and living long lives, that trumps all the politics and pop theories you hear floating around everywhere.

This is why your vet would be a good person to talk to.  He/she has seen hundreds, perhaps thousands of dogs, and knows what diets give the best results.  Most people who make their own dog food don't really know what the best balance of nutrients their dog needs; they just guess, based on what they know about human nutrition, with some minor considerations for the fact that dogs are mostly carnivorous.  People are publishing their ideas of what makes good homemade dog food all over the internet, and I have seen some real doozies.

My vet refuses to endorse a particular brand, but one thing she does stress is to feed a food that contains a high amount of QUALITY (i.e, easily digestible) protein.  If the main source of protein is from corn, that is not easy for a dogs digestive system to process, and makes the dogs kidneys work overtime to get the job done.  It's better to feed foods with at least one of the main sources of protein coming from MEAT.  Also avoid sources like beef tallow and other fillers.

There are several foods out there that meet these requirements.  Science Diet is one of them.

1. Melissa A Smith profile image96
      Melissa A Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That depends on what you mean by a 'human diet'. I base my dog's diet off of what a wolf eats, not a human. I obviously don't give my dog pizza (this is also awful for people), but would you object to me giving my dog human-grade free range meat?

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree, Melissa - there are so many misconceptions about dog food and feeding dogs...! There is no such thing as "people food" and "dog food." I need to finish writing an article I started writing a couple years ago on this subject!

3. KutterHighway profile image60
    KutterHighwayposted 11 years ago

There are several brands at pet specialty stores. Nutro is a great food. Natural Balance is great for dogs with allergies. Wellness is another top notch food. They are all comparable in price to Science Diet, but better ingredients. The ones in the picture are complete junk. Full of corn, by-products (gizzards, intestines, and the like.) That's why they are super cheap. Blood and Bone meal is another very disturbing filler ingredient.
    Boiled chicken, brown rice, potato, peas, green beans, spinach, carrots and a little fat makes a decent basic home food. A good store bought food will have these types of ingredients listed.

1. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59

I agree, Natural Balance is a good food. I used to feed my dogs Natural Balance. However I do not recommend that pet owners make their own food. It is not as simple as one might think. That's not to say that commercial dog foods are that great - but

4. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years ago

Ari - I don't think it's an either/or question. I have been meaning to write a hub on how to select a good dog food but haven't had time yet...it will be coming!

But to answer your question, I do not know a trainer who recommends Science Diet. A client of mine even told me her veterinarian sells it but doesn't recommend it! Fill in the blanks for yourself.

Neither do I recommend feeding your dog a concoction of your own making. I know from my studies as a nursing student in human nutrition and later from my coursework in pet nutrition at Colorado State University that it is very difficult to blend the right amount of ingredients in the right proportions to make your own pet food. Serious consequences can result if you do not do it correctly.

I feed my own dogs a high quality dog food, which means a lot of things that involve knowing how to read a dog food label. Some of the better dog foods include Blue Buffalo, California Natural and Innova but there are new ones coming out all the time and there seems to be a constant changeover in company ownership so the quality may not stay the same.

Look for my hub on how to read a dog food label...coming soon!

1. profile image0
      Ari Lamsteinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great answer Dubuquedogtrainer.  I look forward to your Hub on the subject!

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59

Thanks, Ari.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)