What do you think are the solutions so that the Aurora, Colorado massacre will n

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (12 posts)
  1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

What do you think are the solutions so that the Aurora, Colorado massacre will not happen again?

Many are talking about the mass killing that happened in Aurora, Colorado. There are lots of people saying that in order for killing like this not to happen again, there should be stricter gun laws and stricter implementation of the existing ones, like in depth background checks. Others suggest that parents should monitor children if there are changes in their behavior, but the suspect is 24 years old already.

What are your suggestions?

2. Free2writ3 profile image61
    Free2writ3posted 11 years ago

Probably stricter gun laws...imagine if people didn't have the right to own or buy guns many murders won't occur.

1. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just so you are aware only 3.87% of the population was exposed to crime here in USA while in Australia which does not allow ownership of handguns 7.16% of the population was exposed to crime. Gun laws make no difference.

3. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Couldn't buy guns? Have you ever fired one? It is entertaining and I'm a pretty good shot. If there aren't guns, it will be something else.
    Strict or not, people will find a way to commit mass murder. We could tell people to be friend's with their neighbors. However, his neighbor would have died if she walked into his place. There isn't much that can be done. Possibly calling an area of the police that will visit the home to see if they are just being lonely or dangerously alone. But that is all I can think of.

4. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Nothing. That's my suggestion. Seriously anything they do will be a waste of time and money or tax dollars. He was capable of making bombs, I doubt gun law changes would have made a good impact. I actually believe that if stricter gun laws were in place prior to this they may have had an entire theater explosion on their hands. Also just like you said he is 24 so it's not like parents can do much at that age.
    Things like this have always happened and will continue to happen. Sadly that's life and nothing can be done about it.

5. CarlySullens profile image82
    CarlySullensposted 11 years ago

Yes, stricter gun laws, there is no reason why anyone would own the type of guns that he used.  They are not for hunting or for protection.  They are designed to kill in combat.  Why are they available to civilians?   

The argument if it was not guns it would be something else, is true.  However, guns have a damning trigger that keeps the killer away from the victims and is able to shoot multiple people in seconds.  If he had a knife, bow and arrow, etc. there would be some time lapse and that would possibly enable someone to intervene. 

A bomb will indeed blow people to pieces and I am sure in his mental state if it wasn't a gun he could of planned something bigger with bomb devices.  But to make a bomb that will blow in a whole movie theater will require certain equipment that might put a red flag up.

The answer is not as easy as ban guns or not.  Was he on drugs?  Was he having a severe psychotic episode?  What and why would this happen is the question with not a simple answer. 

I wish we could find the answer and put support where it is needed.

6. manningnd profile image57
    manningndposted 11 years ago

Had guns not been available, he would have used bombs instead with a higher kill rate. If ten people in that theater had had a gun on them, maybe one of the ten would have had the awareness,coordination, and tactical opportunity to actually pull out the weapon; and then that person probably would have been killed before getting a shot off. We don't win either way.

7. connorj profile image69
    connorjposted 11 years ago

Although stricter gun laws may have prevented this; I believe a psychotic like this would have found another way. The only way to extinguish this type of behavior is to have in place a "safety net" (throughout our society) where no person becomes so isolated that they fall into a significantly delusionary existence that could manifest violence. "No Man should be an Island" We must make our society more loving and caring for all. I know nothing of this man; however, I do know that he became so isolated and withdrawn from his and others' lives that this psychotic state grew... When Hope disappears for certain people, chaos will insue; therefore, focus on maintaining hope for all...

8. eternals3ptember profile image61
    eternals3ptemberposted 11 years ago

Not being able to purchase an arsenal on the internet? This isnt about how strict "gun laws" (a vague catch-all) its about the fact that often there aren't any in the first place. You can legally purchase thousands of rounds, mags, guns and body armor with nothing in place to stop anyone except for a quick background check at a local shop (i believe he used bulkammo, but Im not sure).
    I mean, saying people "will do it regardless" isnt much of an arguement; why not open the doors for heroin or such? People find ways to do it regardless.
    Anyone with a couple bucks can buy a 9mm off the corner, but 100-round mags and assault rifles would still be beyond the average person if we, oh, i dont know, made it harder for them to buy? How about a quick check to see if your a member of the gun club as opposed to the mental hospital when you buy 50 cases of ammo and some plastic explosives, huh? People will do terrible things if they are a) crazy and b) can buy guns on their laptop in bed.

1. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Buying a gun on the street corner is illegal already. There is a law in place that does nothing. They also do a check at least in my state to make sure you've never been admitted to a hospital.  Not debating just informing.

2. eternals3ptember profile image61
      eternals3ptemberposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was saying that, regardless of legality, you could still buy a gun like that, but masks and kevlar and hundreds of rounds off ammo you cant, but they are usually readily available legally with little consistancy in bg checks.

9. profile image0
    Elijahokelleyposted 11 years ago

I think what's been majorly overlooked is the pharmaceuticals he may have been on. I don't know all of the details of the case but he was on some prescription drugs and many past cases of mass murder the shooters have been. It's worth considering the unplanned negative mental effects some big-pharma drugs may have.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)