What are some great tips to becoming a better writer. What has helped you?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)
  1. ThatFatGuy profile image59
    ThatFatGuyposted 11 years ago

What are some great tips to becoming a better writer. What has helped you?

2. misc-disc profile image60
    misc-discposted 11 years ago

Avoid cliches and try your best never to use the word "it" or the phrase "a lot."
    Develop interesting characters; give them flaws equal to their greatness.
    Make your story unique. You can write about anything as long as you put your own realistic spin on it. Or, if you'd rather, make your story unique by making it highly surreal.

3. Diana Lee profile image75
    Diana Leeposted 11 years ago

Some of the best tips I ever received was from an author friend of mine, Linda Alexander. Her latest best seller is A Maverick Life: The Jack Kelly Story.  Linda told me a writer must have a very thick skin. In other words don't take everyone's opinion to heart when they criticize your work. A writer is only as good as their last written piece. We learn by mistakes, so never give up the goal you have set for yourself. Tips from successful published writers are worth paying attention to. I said to Rod Thompson (author of The Black Hills) that, I wish I could write a great western novel such as his. He said, "Just do it."

1. profile image0
      Gina Lynn Wposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Per Stephen King, "Everybody has an opinion, but nobody's opinion is better than anybody else's."  Have faith in yourself and believe in your ability.

4. isabelamadaun profile image61
    isabelamadaunposted 11 years ago

Read what you like to write about, and then just read a bunch period.  All the best writers I know are also great readers.

Try not to fall in love with everything you have written; it can always be better.  But don't hate in all either.  Balance is always important. 

Practice your art, and don't give up.  Your talent might be rough in the beginning but it will soon get better.

Let other people read it.  Especially people who you trust to give it to you straight.     

And gain real life experiences.  As many as you can.  Because you can only write about what you understand.

5. Jaggedfrost profile image60
    Jaggedfrostposted 11 years ago

Writers write.  Successful writers write more.  Published writers find the connection between what what they want to write and what the public fancies to read.  The odd ball writer writes their own version of reality anyhow and sifts through tons of different publishers for someone to care about their work and then publish it anyhow. Every now and again, their work changes what people fancy and then everyone copies their form.

6. profile image0
    VeronicaInspiresposted 11 years ago

I follow a lot of different writers and look at their style and how they use language.

I read a lot. I find that the more I read, the more my writing improves.

Reading allows you to see how language flows and that subsequently, gets carried over into your writing.

You can also study the craft of writing: grammar, spelling, how to develop your ideas and stuff like that, but there's this editor-- the first I'd ever heard, but rather well-known in writing circles-- who some even call legendary-- Alan Rinzler, who suggests something just as easy: keep reading and writing!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)