Why are we taught basic things in school when theres so much more about the worl

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)
  1. CaptureTheMoment profile image58
    CaptureTheMomentposted 11 years ago

Why are we taught basic things in school when theres so much more about the world and our history ?

Theres so much civilizations, wonders of the world that we're not taught. Maybe if those things were placed into our text books our youth would be way more interested in school.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7053585_f260.jpg

2. skgrao profile image67
    skgraoposted 11 years ago

You have to learn to understand many things don't be in a hurry you will learn yourself if you have that much motivation to ask.

CaptureTheMomentposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Im not I just feel like so many kids drop out of school and I know quite a few and most of the time its because they feel like they don't belong like what we're taught is irrelevant. But maybe if they add some adjustments things will progress.

3. Sarah Christina profile image70
    Sarah Christinaposted 11 years ago

I completely agree, but most schools aren't concerned with truly engaging their students and fostering the curiosities or creativity. Our school system was designed during the industrial revolution, to be like a factory, and very little has changed from the original design. I Just wrote a Hub that directly addresses this issue, if you want a more detailed answer check it out. It's titled "Why The Education System Has Failed to Succeed." Lower level education is a joke, and college overwhelms you by trying to stuff down too much information in a very short amount of time.

Theres honestly so many things that we learn that can not help us in our future, which they aren't concerned about so if they're going to limit our knowledge why not make it interesting and teach us more than "the basic"

2. Sarah Christina profile image70
      Sarah Christinaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree, schools need to teach things that are more relevant for the real world. They spend a lot of time on subject matter that you don't end up using later on, unless you happen to pick a career that involves math, chemistry, etc.

4. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 11 years ago

Because the powers that be, only want the majority of the population to have a basic education.  Those powers are only interested in gun and factory fodder.

1. Sarah Christina profile image70

Exactly!

2. CaptureTheMoment profile image58

But its way deeper than that, only those who don't live in boxes care to educate themselves further than school and I don't mean upgrading from 1+1 to 1x1 but things thats probably forbidden from our text books.

5. Ricksen Winardhi profile image60
    Ricksen Winardhiposted 11 years ago

Firstly, I think it's because we have limited amount of time in schools, therefore only the essential and basic knowledge are being taught in the schools. Second, with those basic knowledge, we get the necessary skills to explore the interesting wonders of the world. However, I agree that we should place some of those interesting things in the text books for the purpose of arousing their curiosity and motivating them to study. This way, learning will not be boring anymore. In fact, learning should be fun.

We're not limited in time teachers build guides on how much time to give a topic and theres a lot of topics that we spend too much time on we have time. They just don't want us gaining too much knowledge thats why some people have to dig their selves

6. Rebecca2904 profile image68
    Rebecca2904posted 11 years ago

There's only so much time in a school career, there's simply not enough time to fit everything in. I think part of why we learn what we learn in school is because we have to pass exams, but the more important thing we learn is school is how to learn. (I would actually make that bold if I could). Learning how to learn, how to think critically and to question sources and the opinions of others is vital, and only if we can do that will we be able to be successful in further education.

1. Sarah Christina profile image70

It's true that it is hard to fit everything in, but I think they could at least make it more interesting. I didn't truly learn critical thinking skills until college though.

2. Rebecca2904 profile image68
      Rebecca2904posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think it maybe depends on where you're from and what school you go to, but I found most stuff at school was interesting. I went to a grammar school and learning to think for ourselves was really important for us, so that we knew before university.

3. CaptureTheMoment profile image58

They build what we need to know in a way that it appears that we don't. They teach us as if history never changes but it changes every day and new things are discovered about our past everyday so why is there still no change ?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)