Would you be willing to give away your last morsel of food to someone who is hom

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Arghness profile image89
    Arghnessposted 11 years ago

Would you be willing to give away your last morsel of food to someone who is homeless?

Say, a man approaches you, and you're ready to eat a sandwich with the last of your money.  You're broke until your next check which is a week away.  The man is emaciated and begs for something to eat.  What would you do?

2. platinumOwl4 profile image71
    platinumOwl4posted 11 years ago

This is an appropriate question, however, it should be asked of the those people how administrate millions of dollars ear marked for the homeless, and is laden with a mountain of red tape. They go out to hundred dollar lunches and waste taxpayers money pretending to eradicate homeless when in fact its there job to maintain homeless, similar to the police who without crime would be jobless.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

I would absolutely give him the sandwich. This is what God would want me to do. God in turn would supply my needs.

4. PlanksandNails profile image80
    PlanksandNailsposted 11 years ago

A morsel and a sandwich are two different amounts. If the sandwich was a morsel, it would be very very small sandwich. You have already bought the sandwich because you are ready to eat it; therefore, you were broke before the homeless man approached you. If that is the case, you made the decision to become broke by buying the "morsel sandwich," not because of the homeless man.

The homeless man is emaciated; therefore, if the sandwich is indeed just a morsel, it would not help him. It would be like a drop of water on a hot frying pan.

In the right context, if a homeless man communicated that he was hungry and wanted to have a sandwich that I was about to eat, I would oblige him. If he looked like a starved emaciated person, he probably needs much more than a "morsel sandwich," or crumb to really help him.

How would the homeless man be able to see a morsel and know it was a sandwich, unless you ate most of the sandwich in front of him, and offered him the last crumb?

Most homeless people do not look like emaciated "bone-bags." People who have drug addictions do.

In the context of your question, food may not be what the homeless man really needs. Begging for food is an obvious cry for help, but discerning what the man really needs may be something different than a "morsel sandwich" altogether. It may be steering him, or helping to something that is more resourceful than what you can offer.

1. TerryK81 profile image59
      TerryK81posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The question implied if you just spent your last ammount of money, and it was your last meal you could buy for you then what? Some homeless are afraid to ask.

2. PlanksandNails profile image80
      PlanksandNailsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Whether it is food, clothing, or friendship among other things, it is always good to have a heart for the less fortunate. It is better to give than receive and share our blessings.

3. Arghness profile image89
      Arghnessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I appreciate that you took the time to dissect my question and offer your best critique of it.  Truly I could have phrased it better, and I would give you the 'best answer' token if TerryK81 had not come along.

5. TerryK81 profile image59
    TerryK81posted 11 years ago

To say that "yes" I would is what I know is the best thing to do; Only "I" can't do it, but Jesus living in and through me. Many people may answer "yes". But this homeless person may have no one at all. You or me may be the only Jesus that this person will ever meet, and if it were you would you want someone to feed you? The heart of pride would probably say "get a job bum". It is Jesus who said that "in as much as you have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren,  you have done it unto me" ( Matthew 25:40) and "my God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." (Phillipians 4:19).

1. PlanksandNails profile image80
      PlanksandNailsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You nailed it.  Without a humble heart, Jesus Christ cannot work through us.

2. TerryK81 profile image59
      TerryK81posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, but please give glory to God in heaven; for without Him we can't do anything smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)