Is it better to have a website or a blog? Why?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Ceres Schwarz profile image39
    Ceres Schwarzposted 10 years ago

Is it better to have a website or a blog? Why?

What's the main difference between the 2? Do you prefer to have a website or a blog? Why? What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a website or blog? Would you recommend that one have a website or a blog?

2. Emanate Presence profile image69
    Emanate Presenceposted 10 years ago

Ceres, I think it depends on what type of content you want to publish and what you would like to do with it, where you want it to go. If you answer that here, I will try to address it further for your case. Or you could comment on my hub about Weebly and I will respond -

That Hub, 'How to Enjoy the Freedom of Creating a Weebly Web Site' gives more details on my experience with setting up and managing web sites using a variety of hosting services and developer tools over the years, and a video tutorial for creating a web site with Weebly.

Our (Gary and Kati) Weebly web site is for presenting our artwork, with links to our storefront, blog and HubPages. We wanted to keep it visual, with minimal text.

A high percentage of the traffic we receive on our HubPages profile comes from the Weebly site. And traffic also flows from HubPages to the web site.

We put a page of links to all our Hubs in A-Z order on the web site, and it is highly visited. What I like is the coordination and benefit between the three centers of internet presence. In addition, our videos are on YouTube and we pick up some traffic from that center.

We recently started a WordPress blog as it works well for content that is shorter than a Hub. The idea is to present fresh, bite-sized updates on the blog. It has some duplication of content with videos, but the text is unique to the blog. The blog is new and getting less attention from us, thus less traffic. But we see using it far more in the future, and of course it links to the web site and to HubPages.

All three are working well together for us.

Best wishes as you decide what you will do.

1. Ceres Schwarz profile image39
      Ceres Schwarzposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sounds interesting. I've been hearing about blogs & websites but I'm unsure which is the better of the 2. As to what type of content, I'd like to write about a variety of things like I can do here in HubPages like anime, music, technology, etc.

2. Emanate Presence profile image69
      Emanate Presenceposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ceres, I understand from your comment on my Weebly hub that you want to generate income as well. For that, I suggest reading hubs on making money online. I find Wordpress much more difficult to navigate than Weebly, and Weebly includes its own blog.

3. Ceres Schwarz profile image39

Thanks. I guess I'll have to look more into it. Ease of navigation is a big consideration as it would be much better if things would be as easy as it is in HubPages where it's not hard to arrange content in your hub and you can easily add images, etc

3. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 10 years ago

Both the blog or the website would work for you. The question is the ease of maintaining the two. Websites, even if you use a pre-made template, requires more work.

A blog, is easier to do, because, once you set up the template once, you just have to add your material. At my last job, I had a website and I had a blog. The purpose of the blog was to present news items in a timely manner. Websites just take longer and require more programing and design experience.

Both will work. The secret is finding a way to attract traffic. If I was doing it, I would use both. I would have a webpage with a space for the start of a current blog and a link to the actual blog. I would include information about myself on the rest of the page. On the blog I would just present the stories or articles I wanted to present. Each can link to the other. You can set up archives on the webpage for older blogs, etc. Also, you get a chance at more exposure.

1. Emanate Presence profile image69

Larry, this is not to dispute you but to give another perspective. I find my Weebly web site much easier and faster to develop and maintain than my Wordpress blog. The Weeby interface is extremely friendly and intuitive, object-oriented & immedia

2. Ceres Schwarz profile image39

I don't actually want to do both because it might be too time-consuming so it would be good to just pick one. I'm not sure about the programming & designing you mentioned. If blogs don't need that, maybe that's what I need to look into more.

4. Christie LaDram profile image61
    Christie LaDramposted 10 years ago

When I think of a website, I think of a more interactive publication.  Usually businesses and corporations have them, or a web site focused on a single topic with a lot of authors and people who work on it.  A blog tends to focus on one thing, and is updated with articles that are tagged and/or  categorized.  A website is also kinda more static, doesn't change as often as blog and has content that is always useful to the audience.

I think that's the main difference, the website has more static content. I personally don't have more of a preference between the two, it depends on the content that I am searching for.

As for your own personal one, I think you should make it depending upon the type of content you plan on producing.  Is it for a business or a service? Is it static information?  Or is it a subject that requires constant discussion and analysis that you want to update often?

1. Emanate Presence profile image69

Another thought for Ceres - Both Weebly and Wordpress have free accounts. You could take a little time with each, look around at what others do with theirs, and decide which one is best for you.

2. Ceres Schwarz profile image39

Good points. Definitely have to consider the differences between a blog and a site & what type of content is more apt for either of the 2. Also have to look more into both Weebly & WordPress. Both seem very interesting choices with useful fea

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)