Should I start a blog?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (14 posts)
  1. belief713 profile image61
    belief713posted 15 years ago

Should I start a blog if I write on Hubpages? Is one better than the other? If yes, which blogging platform do you suggest? What are the benefits of blogging vs hubbing? How about blogging in addition to hubbing?

I haven't had much time lately to hub as much as I initially planned, is it true that you need to blog a lot? I was thinking of starting a blog for the purposes of it being similar to a diary and just keeping my most informative writings here on HubPages. Also, I figured a blog would allow me to customize things a little more than I can on HubPages. (Plus, I figured it might increase my online income a little ;-)

1. Lissie profile image77
      Lissieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hubpages you get a whole lot more comments than u ever get on your own blogs: that's my experience anyway - so if interaction is important stick with HP
      A blog is  a good place to give backlinks to you hubs : always good for the google game

Sorry but to be blunt if you just want to do a personal diary - you won't make any money: I can assure you that over a years worth of extensive blogging about my travels and life netted me a bout $2 in Adsense LOL

So start a prefreably free blog if u just want a diary

But if u want to make money u need a focussed niche -type blog: and then use hubpages for the topics that don't fit!

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

The simple answer to this complex question is - Yes, you should start a blog, but only if you have time to setup, write, promote and maintain it. Otherwise you are wasting your time and money.

Like hubpages, progress is slow at first. I prefer self-hosted wordpress blogs.

http://wordpress.org/

But there are loads of free ones which have limitations of some kind or another.

belief713posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Ok, so then it is something I need to be doing on at the very least, about a weekly basis?

Here's what I'd like to do with my blog:

1. Chronicle my experiences (as a mother, business, etc), more for personal enjoyment than readership, although it's obviously great if someone reads my works and even better if they relate, subscribe, or click on an ad.

2. More personalization/customization. There are some things I would like to experiment with that I can't do on HubPages.

An income from it is an added bonus. Sure, it'd be great to retire blogging and hubbing, but it's not currently my financial goal...

I tried a self hosted blog (wordpress) a while ago - long story short, I never backed it up and lost all my content. So, I'm shying away from that for now. I've been looking at Blogger and Typepad (I actually did a request asking for comparison of the two).

2. gjcody profile image65
      gjcodyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree ...well said!  Keeping up is very important.

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

I'm no expert but I'd say you need to add a blog post at least once a week if you're trying to get readership.  But it sounds like you're just blogging for your own satisfaction, so why worry? 

I started out with the free Wordpress blog, shifted to Blogger and now have a hosted Wordpress one.   You can't have advertising on the free Wordpress blog, you can on Blogger.

4. Squimpleton profile image87
    Squimpletonposted 15 years ago

I have a blog and I don't take time to promote it and I'm happy the way that is lol. I actually don't want too many readers as it's supposed to be an exclusive blogs for my fans only. I actually don't write on it that often because, let's face it, sometimes it's hard to find new topics and I don't want to just regurgitate old posts with a few new pieces of information and pretend it's a brand new spanking post (like some seo blogs do...grr...and then they wonder why I unsuscribe...).

However I do believe at least 1 post a week should be made so if I have nothing to say for a week I just go on Fireworks, create new buttons and paragraph headers, and then put them on my blog as freebies.

5. GK16 profile image60
    GK16posted 15 years ago

Hi, one post per week is good. But it is better if you can post more. You will have to interact with bloggers. But bloggers are not like hubbers. Still there're hubbers who are bloggers. lol

belief713posted 15 years agoin reply to this

What do you mean?

1. GK16 profile image60
        GK16posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Just a silly joke lol  Don't worry. They're not that bad. Although I am a hubber who is blogging I think I prefer hubbers to bloggers.

6. Inspirepub profile image72
    Inspirepubposted 15 years ago

If you are worried about losing all your content, don't go to Blogger (or any other hosted blogging site). If you account gets cancelled for any reason, everything is gone, and you have no recourse.

To keep your content safe, host your own blog with a decent hosting provider who does backups, and type your blog posts in either text or Word documents, so you have all the blood, sweat and tears saved in your computer if the host's backup ever fails.

Jenny

7. Lissie profile image77
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

Good points Jenny - adds mental note to get copies of blogger blogs on hard-drive!

8. nicolap profile image60
    nicolapposted 15 years ago

If you just want a personal diary then stick to blogger - it's not as customisable as wordpress but is far easier and quicker to set u and maintain. Although most advice is to blog regularly, I wouldn't worry too much if it is purely for yourself.

9. profile image0
    Ronald Daniarposted 15 years ago

Do both blogging and hubbing.
    I also put links to my blog from my hub. HubPages is a good place to build traffic to your site.

WordPress is the best blogging platform where you can customize your site. Blogger gives an easy way to post your ideas. If you want to make money, better to use self-hosted WordPress. Wait, I also blog in blogger to make money...hmm...confusing huh?

lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)