HUBPAGES HUB CAPSULE SPACING ISSUES

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (12 posts)
  1. profile image0
    LEWJposted 14 years ago

The double-space text format encountered while creating hubs is a considerable setback for an otherwise very good, enjoyable site.
    It's discouraging as well as exasperating for any beginner to have to struggle with the mechanics of spacing during AND after each effort to contribute to Hubpages and then find the results still unsatisfactory after hours of effort.
    It's enough to ride a horse without having to get off and keep pulling it too.

I'm a bit surprised (and mildly disappointed) that a site of such caliber and potential has not been webmastered to eliminate this obvious difficulty.
    I find it very disappointing when, in spite of all my hubwriting efforts, I try and try to control my line spacing but get sabotaged by some of the wackiest spacing anomalies imaginable.
    The result is that the work done--which sometimes takes hours to complete--does'nt  turn out satisfactorily.
                                                                                                                                                                          The ideas contained in each set of points in a paragragh or block of sentences deserve proper separation and spacing for clarity.
    The current spacing format here forces uneven thought progression and spacing issues that amount to a written version of breathless talk.
    One sentence must follow immediately after the previous one, no matter what its content, slant or thrust; any attempts to place the material into logically divided thought groups often end up in a frustrated struggle of compromises.

I don't understand why a participant here should have to employ, or search for, solutions external to this site,  as kindly suggested in the forums.
    This help is a good thing.                                                                                                                 Eliminating the above issues presented, though,  would be a far better kindness more deeply appreciated.

The spacing for this submitted comment is a prime example of the problem, but I'm too tired to bother.

2. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Well first of all, welcome lewj! Not quite sure what spacing issues you're referring to. I've not had a problem yet. This happens when you're just typing into a capsule?

3. profile image0
    LEWJposted 14 years ago

Appreciate your concern.  I don't  know how to make my point clearer except that you may be able to see those 2 widely spaced lines in my comment just now.
    The spacing options there are a dead end; the submit click always distorts the original spacing of the sentences into something else.

4. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

Are you trying to indent your paragraphs, like you might if you were hand writing?

I think the format is set up to give a consistent look to the hubs.

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but you might just try hitting the return when you want a new paragraph without trying to indent.  Also, the 'paragraphing rules' we learned in school do not necessarily apply here (or in newspapers either, for that matter).

Here it's all about leaving some space to make it easier on the eyes and easier to scan.

Play with it for awhile and you will hopefully get a result you like. Remember, you can always go back and re-edit.

5. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

Lewj, I'm not sure I know what you mean either.  The formatting in the text capsule produces a clear line of white space between each paragraph, which is the correct modern formatting (the old way was to have no clear line, and indent the first line of the next para - but indenting is outdated now).

The only place where I find that annoying is when I want to make a bulleted list - if each point is a one-liner, I don't really like having a line of white space between each one, because it takes up too much room.

Are you copying and pasting in from Word?  Or perhaps choosing some other formatting in the drop-down box?

6. profile image0
    LEWJposted 14 years ago

Rochelle---The return button doublespaces; I suppose I'm not used to that.  The result looked to sapcey when I first tried it.   Maybe I'll try again.

Marisa---Do you mean that the doublespace method allows sentence placement to be controlled by a hubber?   Perhaps the spacing issues I've faced were caused by my effort to single-space my sentences....

And by the way, does anyone know exactly how to shorten white space gaps under a hub?
    I read some suggestions but they seem remote.  And thanks for your concern.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No!  On these forums, when you want to start a new paragraph, you hit return twice to leave a space between paragraphs.  In a text capsule, you only hit return once and it will double-space all by itself.  If you hit it twice, you'll get two double spaces and of course, that will look too spacey. 

You don't need to do anything to create single-spaced text - just don't touch that return button until you get to the end of the paragraph!  All you need to do is type and the lines will automatically be single-spaced.

It's just occurred to me - sometimes there's a glitch when writing comments, that the space between paragraphs doubles up.  It only happens in comments, not in the Hub itself, and you can fix it by editing your comment and deleting the surplus space.  is that's what you're talking about?

When you're writing a text capsule, sometimes a few extra returns sneak in at the end - make sure you go to the end of the capsule and delete them.

7. profile image0
    LEWJposted 14 years ago

MARISA--Thanks a bunch for your suggestions.  I left this page soon after I posted my last query and just now returned!    I'll try your suggestions. One more thing: Exactly how do I delete the surplus space under a HUB  (not surplus space on the comment page)?   It's been called  "white space".        I tried and tried and tried and tried but could'nt get the angle brackets to shorten the spacing under my last hub.    Does anyone know how that's done?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Try this:

Go to your last text capsule.
      Scroll down to the bottom of the white space, until it won't go further.

Click your cursor in the lowest left hand space -- you should get an "I" bar, as if you are going to start a line of text,
      Instead of writing text, hit delete, delete, delete, etc- untill the "I" bar is directly under your last line of text (or next to the last word you wrote.)

If this doesn't work-- the problem is something else. smile

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm so glad I found this thread. Thank you, thank you for this~~ I was going crazy on my last hub!  I had a huge white space after my text and before my photo capsule. Viola! no more white space~~~ thank you hubbers for helping us newer hubbies. big_smile

8. profile image0
    LEWJposted 14 years ago

THANKS ROCHELLE!   PROBLEM SOLVED.    Thanks so very much.

9. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

Yerwelcome.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)