Are video games an art form?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 10 years ago

Are video games an art form?

Some people say that they do not qualify as art.  however, there have been a lot of games in recent years that have managed to tell very thought provoking stories.  However, is that enough for it to be deemed art?  people used to have the same debate about movies for the longest time too.  However, great movies like "Rashomon", "Seven Samurai", and etc have proven that movies are a work of art.  Sure, there's still the occasional crap like "Transformers" that make people argue otherwise.  But, it still doesn't negate the artistry of the other films that i've mentioned, but what do you think?

2. Souther29 profile image81
    Souther29posted 10 years ago

Definitely. They are an entertainment medium primarily but of course you can view them as art - both physically and metaphorically.

Heavy Rain, Heavenly Sword, Nier, Bioshock series, Catherine... many games that are not only gorgeous to look at but contain really powerful stories elevating the medium as a whole. For every zombie killing game, conversley there's one which helps exhibit thought provoking imagery or ideals.

3. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 10 years ago

The creativity in designing and composing a video game is undoubtedly an art form; however, being a couch potato playing the thing ain't.,

4. EJ Lambert profile image73
    EJ Lambertposted 10 years ago

Absolutely they are.  Art, in its simplest form, is vastly different from person to person.  Video games are almost never the same from creator to creator.  They each have their own quirks, messages and styles that make them unique even when they are similar.  It doesn't take much to see how much heart and effort that person put into a game either.  That is the beauty of the whole entertainment industry.  It is all based on various forms of art.

5. Vlorsutes profile image73
    Vlorsutesposted 10 years ago

For a time, movies weren't considered forms of art either, but look at the pedestal they're held on now. I feel that video games can be considered art, especially if that's how the creators want them to be. It's such a more detailed and malleable medium to express thoughts, feelings, and ideas than a film has, and I feel that if it's not generally accepted now it is one, then it soon will be.

6. M. T. Dremer profile image85
    M. T. Dremerposted 10 years ago

I wrote an entire hub about this subject, but the short answer is yes; video games are an art form. I think the only reason some people think they aren't is because they have a narrow view of what games are available. Mainstream audiences frequently associate video games with the pixelated Mario or hyper violent grand theft auto. The few games that have broken out of the gaming market into 'blue ocean' territory. Even those games have their own level of artistry, but a lot of people see them as simplistic or too graphic. If one were to put even a small amount of effort into researching gaming history, they would also come to the conclusion that they're an art form.

7. MPChris profile image63
    MPChrisposted 10 years ago

I like Vlorsutes answer. As, originally, movies were an art form. At some point, there was a school of thought that they were the premier artform, as they essentially combined all other artforms (writing, painting, fashion design, sound design, music, as well as photography of course).

The modern day game budget is running close to the blockbust cost of production of a movie. More importantly, games incorporate all those myriad aspects (as mentioned above), but in addition, they are interactive, and involve the participant (some more so than others).

8. profile image0
    Michelle Widmannposted 10 years ago

I definitely consider video games an art form. When they first came out, they were simply games, but now that people spend so much time and energy creating stories that could win Oscars, and drawing entire worlds that could be on the walls of museums, I really do view video games as art. A lot of people don't realize how much goes into the making of a game, but there are certain games that are around right now that are simply mind blowing with emotional plot lines and amazingly detailed characters and visuals that really are stunning.

9. TNT Husky profile image64
    TNT Huskyposted 10 years ago

More so now than ever, video games are becoming an art form. In my opinion, Video games aren't just one art form, but the combination of many. the best games will have riveting soundtracks, seamless design, visuals with a long lasting impact, and story beyond competition. what makes it a true art form is seeing how well, or not so well, all of these elements blend in with the game. you will find games that are easily considered trash, or not art at all. Many flash games found online take that title. But you can find games that seam together to evoke wonder in gamers of all kinds. from old curiosities like super Metroid, which had the most subtle details setting the mood for the entire game without the player ever knowing it. to newer Marvels like Bioshock Infinite. Video games may not be wholly considered an art form today, but that won't last too much longer with this evolving media.

10. JohnGreasyGamer profile image78
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 10 years ago

Give me a game like Dishonoured, and I would say, "Yes, they are". Give me something like FIFA, and I would say, "Not on your nelly".

I guess it depends on what the game is trying to achieve. You can have the most visually enhanced graphics in the world but in the end it might not be art if it has no meaning, purpose or story to tell. Dishonoured was described as a "painting in motion", and the scenes where you enter this void-like place, you see just how much work went into the animation, facial expressions, hand movements and placements, eye contact, hair flow, etc. Your game could look like Tomb Raider and yet have nothing to say, apart from "Duuuuuuuh".

As Vlorsutes rightfully said, film was not considered art until many years later people would be making some of the most inspiring and eyecatching things ever seen by man.

11. Paradise7 profile image69
    Paradise7posted 10 years ago

I go along with the majority of the people answering this question: yes, video games are art.  They are created by creative people, ergo...they are art.

That's the simplest definition of art, to me.  Does it take a creative person to make it?  Yes?  Then its art!  It's an expression of an individual's creativity.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)